Author Topic: Downloading a GEDCOM file  (Read 3765 times)

Offline florna

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Downloading a GEDCOM file
« on: Saturday 12 December 15 12:00 GMT (UK) »
I have a subscription to Ancestry and use Family Tree Maker.
If I download a GEDCOM file with my family tree data to RootsMagic 7 will all of my media info be transferred as well ie photographs; photocopies of certificates; census pages etc etc as well as data about my family?
Also I am not sure what is contained in a GEDCOM file.
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
florna

Online GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Downloading a GEDCOM file
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 December 15 13:40 GMT (UK) »
This might answer some of your questions: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GEDCOM

If you open a GEDCOM with a text editor such as Notepad, you can see what it contains. Just a warning: you'd be very, very brave to go editing the file with Notepad!
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 December 15 14:29 GMT (UK) »
The contents of a GEDCOM file can vary, but usually it will be all the names, dates, events (births, deaths, etc), places, etc. but photos, photocopies, etc. will not normally be in the actual GEDCOM.

To quote from RootsMagic Help:
RootsMagic lets you add unlimited media items (pictures, audio clips, video clips, or files) to your database.  When you add a media item, RootsMagic stores a link to that media item, but does not put the media item itself into the database

If the Photos, etc. are stored on your hard drive it will simply be a matter of linking to them in RM once the GEDCOM has been imported. If they are in an online database you will need to somehow download them to your hard drive before proceeding as above. There may be a quick and simple way to do this on Ancestry but I've never tried.

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline florna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 December 15 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Mike for your help. Your comment has given me a clearer understanding of what a GEDCOM does.
florna

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 December 15 20:42 GMT (UK) »
There is no way to download, in bulk, the photos, certificates, census returns and so forth from Ancestry! ::)

You can always copy each such entity one at a time?!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 December 15 20:47 GMT (UK) »
I have always found that notes don't export properly from one program to another. Probably something to do with how each program has its notes facility set up.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 December 15 22:25 GMT (UK) »
One problem with GEDCOM is that the various programs invent extra headings which only work in their own program. The core data is normally exported/imported correctly between different programs though. There is usually a list of options to select from when creating the GEDCOM to export.

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 12 December 15 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry outputs it's GEDCOM files in version 5.5.

So make sure that wherever you import the GEDCOM file, can read version 5.5!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 13 December 15 08:37 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry outputs it's GEDCOM files in version 5.5.

So make sure that wherever you import the GEDCOM file, can read version 5.5!
[/quote
Thanks for that advice KC.
Joe
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.