Author Topic: The dreaded change of Ancestry  (Read 29302 times)

Offline robbo43

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Kathie 1932 - 2010
    • View Profile
Re: The dreaded change of Ancestry
« Reply #117 on: Friday 25 December 15 11:42 GMT (UK) »
OK, sorted. A slightly odd add-on problem. Ghostery was blocking Tealium, which is an analytic & tracker platform. Not sure why Ancestry makes that essential other than to snoop on you fro marketing purposes. As tealium themselves say "Shine Light on Your Data to Deliver Customer Delight" Some hope.
FLOOD - Exeter, Middlesex.  DAVEY - Norfolk, Herts, West Ham.  MILLS - Hampshire.  GARLAND - Sussex.  BRIGHT - Hampshire, GULLIVER - Hampshire, Sussex, London.  NOCKELS - Norfolk.  POMEROY - Exeter.  RANDALL - Sussex, Surrey.  REYNOLDS - Cambridgeshire.  BOWYER - Cambridgeshire & Suffolk.  STUPPELL - Kent.  MISSEN - Cambridgeshire.  TAYLOR - Cambridgeshire.  TOWNSEND - London.  CURTIN - London, GIBBONS - Suffolk, BROWN - Suffolk, SWALE(S) - Yorkshire, GAIN - Sussex

Offline Tonya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Ancestry has got me so mad!!!!!
« Reply #118 on: Tuesday 29 December 15 18:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
Just want to vent.
Haven't been on Ancestry for a while and while I know there had been an update I didn't realise I would be infuriated with it.
It's in relation to the Life Story section of the profiles - as we know ensuring we have the correct info is a work in progress but I never knew it would be altered. A number of ancestors were Leeds B/M/D and ok maybe I should have stated West Yorkshire, England but I never thought for a second that years down the line Ancestry would introduce a Life Story Narrative automatically generated to state Leeds, Ontario! I have emailed Ancestry Support Centre to ascertain if this can be stopped or do I have to record by record have to delete and then add a new fact ensuring that I state Leeds, West Yorkshire, England. Failing that can I have the old version of Ancestry back.

Vent over thanks for listening.
Tonya x >:(

Topics merged
Smith- Lincolnshire, Bedfordshire. Ward - Clapham (Yorkshire), Hodgson - Westmoreland, Dent, Settle. Taylor - Cornforth/Coxhoe and now Suffolk. Bell - Scotland, Hewitson - Cornforth/Coxhoe/Kelloe. Allison - Cornforth/Coxhoe/Kelloe.  McGill - Kirkudbright Scotland. Morris.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Tuesday 29 December 15 19:35 GMT (UK) »
Failing that can I have the old version of Ancestry back.

I'm afraid the answer to that will be "No," the new version is here to stay I'm afraid.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tonya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: Tuesday 29 December 15 19:52 GMT (UK) »
I know it is but just needed to get it of my chest!!!!

Smith- Lincolnshire, Bedfordshire. Ward - Clapham (Yorkshire), Hodgson - Westmoreland, Dent, Settle. Taylor - Cornforth/Coxhoe and now Suffolk. Bell - Scotland, Hewitson - Cornforth/Coxhoe/Kelloe. Allison - Cornforth/Coxhoe/Kelloe.  McGill - Kirkudbright Scotland. Morris.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry has got me so mad!!!!!
« Reply #121 on: Tuesday 29 December 15 20:32 GMT (UK) »
. . . . or do I have to record by record have to delete and then add a new fact ensuring that I state Leeds, West Yorkshire, England.

No you don't have to delete anything!
Just edit each fact ;D
Position the cursor after the last character of the current town name; backspace 1 character.
Ancestry should then come up with a list of possibles.
Select the correct one!

If you get too many North American suggestions, then try adding a comma and the county :D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry has got me so mad!!!!!
« Reply #122 on: Tuesday 29 December 15 21:26 GMT (UK) »
It's in relation to the Life Story section of the profiles - as we know ensuring we have the correct info is a work in progress but I never knew it would be altered.

If you don't like Life Story, just click on Facts and don't look at it again. ;)  It remembers to open up in Facts rather than Life Story.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: Thursday 31 December 15 15:42 GMT (UK) »
I find the difficult part is the layout of the trees. Whereas I have got more used to the search engines. It takes longer though to add a source to a ancestor on a tree though.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline msr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: Thursday 31 December 15 16:15 GMT (UK) »
The searches aren't really the problem, we can all adapt to changes, but it is the ridiculous story that Ancestry seems to think we all need as if we can't imagine things for ourselves.

Yes, I know it can be ignored, but it is an unnecessary facility.  I say 'facility' but mean something rather different. 
If I have rubbish in a cupboard I can either remove it completely or push it to the back and try not to see it, but I would still know it was there.  Get rid of it and there is more room for the important stuff.

I'd really like to know the bright spark who came up with the idea.  Was it ever asked for, and how many find it useful?

As for the requirement of adding the country to a city or town because there are several around the world, I say this.  Default to the original.  London, England; Manchester, England etc.   
My Manchester is not in Jamaica, nor London in Ontario.  Besides being the originals, the country is earlier in the alphabet than the others, so who in their wisdom decided that the others take priority?   
I live in hope that by next renewal date in November something will have been done to actually make Ancestry 'better'.  It would be a shame to leave.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: Thursday 31 December 15 16:30 GMT (UK) »
As for the requirement of adding the country to a city or town because there are several around the world, I say this.  Default to the original.  London, England; Manchester, England etc.   
My Manchester is not in Jamaica, nor London in Ontario.  Besides being the originals, the country is earlier in the alphabet than the others, so who in their wisdom decided that the others take priority?   
I live in hope that by next renewal date in November something will have been done to actually make Ancestry 'better'.  It would be a shame to leave.

You mean London, England, United Kingdom?! ;D
I have spent some time complaining that people on .co.uk should have places defaulted to UK, and those on .ca defaulting to Canada, etc.

But Ancestry is an American company, and they do things in an American way.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)