Author Topic: The dreaded change of Ancestry  (Read 29297 times)

Offline msr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: The dreaded change of Ancestry
« Reply #126 on: Thursday 31 December 15 16:53 GMT (UK) »
No KGarrad, we hear Americans say London - England; Paris - France; Rome - Italy etc.  Not followed by UK or Continent of Europe.  England is the country!   

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: Thursday 31 December 15 18:05 GMT (UK) »
That's strange, because the Government is HM Government of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland!

Just like it says on a passport?!

I have also heard Americans say Cardiff, England!! ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline msr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: Thursday 31 December 15 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Well there you are then.  Just another load of rubbish  ::)

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: Thursday 07 January 16 00:34 GMT (UK) »
Is there any way to change or remove the map? I've edited out such references to a ship called SS Manchester being referred to as being in Manchester, Ontario but can't change the map. I had Dublin Street Liverpool meaning the person lived in Dublin with accompanying map and a resident of India Street they rightly didn't say they lived in India but still managed to provide a map of India!

Blue

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: Thursday 07 January 16 07:51 GMT (UK) »
If you have entered "SS Manchester" in a location box, then any software will get confused with that!

As for the other address, have you entered "Dublin Street, Liverpool, England" or "Dublin Street, Liverpool, Lancashire, England"?

Personally, I don't enter street names in the location boxes, but put that kind of detail in the Description box.

Also I have never used the map? Where is it? ;D
I just use the Facts tab.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: Thursday 07 January 16 09:38 GMT (UK) »
The map is on Lifestory. I don't mind using Lifestory I can edit mistakes thrown up by the software but the map doesn't appear to have an edit facility.

Blue

Offline Doddie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: Thursday 07 January 16 10:49 GMT (UK) »
While I don't have a general l problem with the change/update of Ancestry in principal I have to say that I have less confidence in the new format. Until a couple of days ago I had no problem using it. Then - there's always a then - I discovered a glitch. I was investigating the First World War records of a particular individual. When I searched under the general Military section nothing relevant came up. I was puzzled because I knew for certain some records did exist, if not the actual service record. Lo and behold, when I separately checked the individual under the, 'WW1 Service Medal and Award Rolls' and 'British Army WW1 Medal Index Cards' sections up popped the relevant records. Why then, when I did a general military check were these relevant records not flagged up. If I had been doing a purely speculative check under the general military section (without knowing for sure if any records existed) I would have presumed there was nothing relevant to view and so would not have checked any further. I'm a bit concerned to say the least, or am I doing something wrong?

Regards

Doddie

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: Thursday 07 January 16 11:01 GMT (UK) »
I've managed to change the maps by adjusting the addresses they are automatically responsive to county and country data.

Blue

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: Thursday 07 January 16 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Doddie, bad the same problem with the Silver War Badge records. I was trying to find a copy of my grandfather's which I had found before but this time it didn't appear in the general search results, only when searching the specific data set.

That said, that happened when using the old ancestry a few weeks before the cutover. :-\
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day