Author Topic: The dreaded change of Ancestry  (Read 29754 times)

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
Re: The dreaded change of Ancestry
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 15 December 15 15:43 GMT (UK) »
yes even tried logging out and back in again in case it was that but still will not work

I click on view record and it tells me to 'sign up to see more' if I click on my account it says 'registered guest' and my last payment was 12.11.15 for my worldwide subscription

Actually looking at my bank account they haven't take this months payment out yet

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 15 December 15 15:48 GMT (UK) »
You could always ring Ancestry - they're usually very helpful.  0800 404 9723 up to 10.00 pm

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 15 December 15 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Ok I will give that a try thanks they naffed me off last month because it said that my subscription details needed updating so I did that and they charged me again!

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline msr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 15 December 15 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Exact should mean EXACT and I certainly did not get all these additional other names previously.

I'm with you on this Lizzie, what locksmith and kgarrad think is immaterial in this instance, it is what you, I, and others are experiencing that is relevant.  We have concerns, they have opinions.

Going back to the Leeds I mentioned earlier, no matter how many towns, cities or any other place variations there are with this name, leaving as input shouldn't be a problem.   I have now discovered that my grandfather's baby sister died in Jamaica according to the IT programmer.   No she didn't, she died in England, but of course I shall be berated by those who say I should input full information.

Offline Lisajb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 15 December 15 18:50 GMT (UK) »
.       Do you work for Ancestry KG?...or are you on commission...if not..then you should be ;D ;D

I was wondering that as well.  ;D

I think they have tweaked it a bit since I first saw it back in August, there certainly aren't so many people who have been whisked overseas to die etc. It seems to be a case of fiddling around with settings until it suits you, for instance I've turned off the historical fact bits that told me, " xxxxx was born during the coldest winter of the decade."

How do you do that - turn off those historical facts?
Mullingar, Westmeath Ireland: Gilligan/Wall/Meagher/Maher/Gray/O'Hara/Corroon (various spellings)
Bristol: Woodman/James/Derrick
Bristol/Somerset: Saunders/Wilmot
Gloucestershire:Woodman/Mathews/Tandy/Stinchcombe/Marten/Thompson
Wiltshire: Mathews
Carmarthen: Thomas, Lewis
Australia: Mary Lewis, transportee, married Henry Brown - what happened to her?

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 15 December 15 18:58 GMT (UK) »

How do you do that - turn off those historical facts?

On the facts page (of any person in your tree) on the page near the top of the light grey area is a black box saying show. Click on that and there are "Family events" and "Historical highlights" and you can turn either or both of. It will affect the whole tree. There is a similar option on the Lifestory page.

(I asked the same question a few days ago). Reply #135 here explains it also

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=730353.msg5825505#msg5825505
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 15 December 15 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Going back to the Leeds I mentioned earlier, no matter how many towns, cities or any other place variations there are with this name, leaving as input shouldn't be a problem.   I have now discovered that my grandfather's baby sister died in Jamaica according to the IT programmer.   No she didn't, she died in England, but of course I shall be berated by those who say I should input full information.

Are you looking at the Lifestory screen or the Facts screen?  Lifestory will, where the place isn't in the desired format, select probably the wrong place (usually defaulting to the same place in the US or Canada), in the Facts view, it will show exactly how you entered it.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 16 December 15 08:49 GMT (UK) »
While there is much I dislike about Ancestry, the search engine seems pretty good to me. Going back to an earlier post, when I search simply on the surname Livermore with the 'exact' box ticked I get a list of 392,376 records. I can't say for certain that other names are not included but at least the first 3 pages are exclusively Livermore :-\

I've done a similar exact search on names from my own tree and the results are similarly satisfactory. People use the site in different ways: I don't have an online tree and just use it as a very powerful searchable database, saving relevant records to my own PC as required. Maybe that's why I haven't experienced some of the problems others have ???

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 16 December 15 09:28 GMT (UK) »
While there is much I dislike about Ancestry, the search engine seems pretty good to me. Going back to an earlier post, when I search simply on the surname Livermore with the 'exact' box ticked I get a list of 392,376 records. I can't say for certain that other names are not included but at least the first 3 pages are exclusively Livermore :-\

You must have found a way to sort with the most relevant first, I haven't found any way to sort the list like you can on FindMyPast.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott