Author Topic: Lived in Milntown, buried in ??? Mystery now solved  (Read 1700 times)

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
Lived in Milntown, buried in ??? Mystery now solved
« on: Monday 14 December 15 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi, All:

If a family lived in Milntown, which cemetery(ies) might they have been buried in? (I've tried but can't figure it out myself through online searches.)

Thank you,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Lived in Milntown, buried in ???
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 December 15 22:00 GMT (UK) »
What is the timescale?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 December 15 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Aha, sorry about that CaroleW!

I would say 1790s-1890s.

The known dates of death are 1837, 1846, 1848, 1870 and 1871. One infant or child died between 1791-1800 and there are a few who died sometime between the 1790s-1890s.

Thank you,
Josephine
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline imchad

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 December 15 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I know of five places called Milntown, or variations of: Milton, Milltown, etc. In Dumfriesshire. Can you say what parish?
Ian

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 December 15 23:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Ian:

Milntown, Langholm -- that's all I know. Is that useful at all?

(I'm sorry to sound so stupid -- I'm not familiar with the area at all and it's confusing to me.)

Thank you,
Josephine

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 December 15 23:52 GMT (UK) »
Might be best if you gave us the family name/details.  That way we can check (say) the 1881 census to see exactly where they were living at that time
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 December 15 01:18 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, CaroleW, but they're too hard to track, due to their extremely common surname.  The children (whichever ones survived) were adults by 1841, the mother died in 1837, the father died in 1846, and I can only find one of the children in 1841. They're either mistranscribed or missing in 1841 and I don't know if any of them were listed together or if they are identifiable in any way.

1837 burial record in Langholm or Staplegorton = of Milntown
1846 burial record in Langholm or Staplegorton = at Langholm, late of Milntown

No wills to be found (of course).

Thank you,
Josephine

Offline imchad

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 December 15 06:30 GMT (UK) »
The four cemeteries which served Langholm are langholm old, Langholm, Wauchope and Staplegordon.  Langholm is too new, Langholm Old might be too old. My first place to look would be Wauchope.  But if you told us the names, with a maiden surname of the mother, it would be a much easier search.

Ian

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 December 15 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much, Ian.

The wife was dead before the 1841 census and I have her husband in 1841 (he died before the 1851 census).

I have burial records for her and her husband, and baptisms for their children, from ScotlandsPeople. I have traced two children to adulthood, have a possible burial record for one who died young, and the other four will require $$ for ScotlandsPeople credits that I don't have right now.

If any of those four married before 1855, their parents probably won't be listed on their marriage record, which means I won't be able to properly identify them in any census (even going by place of birth -- their names are too common and shared with an unknown number of cousins). The same is true of identifying the males in the census even if they didn't marry.

If any of those four died before 1855, but as adults, their burial records probably won't list their father's (very common) name, so I won't be able to identify them that way. If they died after 1855, that would enable me to identify them, but I'd have to purchase an awful lot of records from ScotlandsPeople -- and they might not have stayed in Scotland (although they probably did).

I'm hoping ScotlandsPeople will have a subscription plan sometime in the near future.

I honestly don't want anyone to spend time hunting for these folks because it will take more time than anyone other than me should spend on such a hopeless task.

Thank you for the kind offer. I appreciate the help you and the others have given me on this thread.

I'll have to purchase the local MIs if/when they are available and hope to find them together as a group.

Best regards,
Josephine