Author Topic: Ancestry of Bangladesh  (Read 639 times)

Offline raysen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ancestry of Bangladesh
« on: Tuesday 15 December 15 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
I am quite confident in my own family tree research, but barely stretches out of Lincolnshire let alone England.
My friend wants me to look in to her family tree if possible but I'm not sure where to start it.

Her parents moved to England from Bangladesh in the 70s and as far as she is aware her ancestry is from there / India.

I don't think ancestry will allow me to search there?
Any pointers as to where I can start?

Cheers
Senior - Yorkshire / Lincolnshire
Daykin / Dakin - Horncastle, Lincs
Potts - Staffs
Surfleet - Bardney, Lincs
Ladds - Boston, Lincs
Potter - Boston, Lincs
Golland - Boston, Lincs / Sheffield
Gill - Lincolnshire

Online nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry of Bangladesh
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 December 15 17:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

FamilySearch:

https://familysearch.org/search/collection/location/1927063?region=India

Not much but it might be a starter.

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry of Bangladesh
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 December 15 21:01 GMT (UK) »
As Bangladesh was nominally part of Pakistan up to the  1972 I would look at how Pakistani culture sorted through family records.

For example using India as a guide there are family scrolls held at various temples and/or designated Family Keepers. There was an episode of WDYTYA which delved into these Indian records for somebody , and they showed the scroll with all the names going back on it.

Here is a link : http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/familyhistory/next_steps/researchplaces_01.shtml

Bangladesh
Births, deaths and marriages
Registering births, marriage and deaths is not mandatory in Bangladesh. In rural areas, some did not register at all. Records of births, marriages and deaths may be held at the City Council or Municipal Corporation of each town.

Issues with archives in Bangladesh
During partition in 1947, there was a successful attempt to divide archival material equally between East and West Bengal. In 1971, similar attempts were made to claim material from the Pakistan authorities relevant to East Bengal (East Pakistan). However, not all the records were transferred to Bangladesh.

There are phone numbers and email addresses on this link
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072