Author Topic: Janet McWilliam or Williamson  (Read 1487 times)

Offline ian-nz

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Janet McWilliam or Williamson
« on: Thursday 17 December 15 01:27 GMT (UK) »
I have spent days on this family and just seem to be going around in circles. I am hoping someone can answer this question for me please. I have Neill McInnes born in Campbeltown, Argyll on the 22 April 1825 with parents Donald McInnes and Janet McWilliam.

When Neil McMinnes married in 1860 his parents were Donald McInnes and Janet Williamson. And again on his death certificate parents Donald McInnes and Janet Williamson.

Can someone tell me please is it possible that McWilliam and Williamson are the same surname or are they two totally different famlies.

Thank you for reading. Any help appreciated.

Pauline

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Janet McWilliam or Williamson
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 December 15 02:20 GMT (UK) »
I have Neill McInnes born in Campbeltown, Argyll on the 22 April 1825 with parents Donald McInnes and Janet McWilliam.

When Neil McMinnes married in 1860 his parents were Donald McInnes and Janet Williamson. And again on his death certificate parents Donald McInnes and Janet Williamson.

Can someone tell me please is it possible that McWilliam and Williamson are the same surname or are they two totally different famlies.

Hi Pauline,

The simple answer is yes.........

Mac/Mc in Scotland means "son of" which in many cases reversed roles to "son" being the suffix rather than prefix.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline ian-nz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 December 15 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Annie that is just what I wanted to hear. That solves so many things.

Have a wonderful Xmas and thank you.

Pauline

Offline DTC16

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 February 19 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am also connected to Janet McWilliam.  If you are interested in information, feel free to email me on david.crawford16@btopenworld.com