Author Topic: Uncle enlisted in WWII but discharged: what do those codes mean?  (Read 3451 times)

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Uncle enlisted in WWII but discharged: what do those codes mean?
« on: Friday 18 December 15 06:56 GMT (UK) »
An uncle enlisted in Nanango Qld on 31 May 1941.  Based on his service records he was discharged

The reference given as per clipping 2 is AMR & O.  This seems to mean:  AMR & O Australian Military Regulations and Orders https://www.awm.gov.au/glossary/term-a/

Noted after that was the numbers 253A (1) (H). As yet I am unable to determine what exact reg or order related to 253A (1) (H). 

Any ideas why he was discharged?  Did his occupation as Farm Hand have anything to do with his discharge and if so then why weren't his two brothers also discharged.  One died in Egypt.

Westy

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Uncle enlisted in WWII but discharged: what do those codes mean?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 December 15 07:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Westy,

Sure looks like he was released because he was in a reserved occupation.  At that time the demand for the Army was high because of the Pacific campaigns and rural labour was in short supply.

Just for interest how old was your uncle and was he in the AIF with a QX number or the Militia with a Q number.

Gerry

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 December 15 08:13 GMT (UK) »
I agree with Gerry, it certainly reads "Reserved Occupation".  And of course it may well depend on if he was Militia or Permanent.      You would need to see the other brothers' files to know if the Army had considered similar set of cirumstances in their cases.

The Australian War Memorial's website has an option to ask a question.   I am sure their support staff will have the exact answer to your question at their fingertips.   Here's a livelink : http://awm.altarama.com/reft100.aspx?key=research

If that link falls over,  here's how I got to it
https://www.awm.gov.au/research/family-history/   :) 

Cheers,  JM

what exact reg or order related to 253A (1) (H). 
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 December 15 08:30 GMT (UK) »
I see that on 24th Jan 1942 he went from the Militia to "FTD" (Full Time Duty).

So I would say that he was in the Militia but on full time duty and he was released from FTD in Feb/March 1943 because he was a farm hand where demand was strong. 

It was likely that he remained part time in the Militia after March 1943 until the end of the war.

Gerry

Modify: 1943 should read 1942.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 December 15 08:46 GMT (UK) »
I can't quote his record, but my father was in the reserves, as his occupation prevented him from going overseas; his place of work turned to munitions during the war.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 December 15 09:04 GMT (UK) »

No doubt, skilled munition workers would have been excluded from enlisting and probably stopped from enlisting if they tried.  This would have been a prime war effort industry like ship building.

With all reserved occupations age played an important role as well not just the occupation.

Gerry

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 December 15 09:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Aussie1947

He is still alive and just had his 96th birthday. He was 21 yrs 7 months on enlistment.  Attached is his other details minus his name.

His eldest brother joined in 1938 & died 1 Sept 1942.  His occupation was Farm Hand. His other brother died in 2000. Their parents were graziers.

One brother was QX39181 & the other Q3279.

Westy

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 18 December 15 10:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Westy,

Wow, 97 very nice.

His Militia Service was with the Australian Army Service Corps and the 5th Reserve Motor Transport Company  (5RMTwas part of the AASC).  The Militia were required to complete 90 days full time training and some were required to stay on for some full time duty as well.   

Skilled farm workers would have been in short supply so the Militia released him from further service.  With two brothers in uniform as well probably added to the Army's decision especially if they all farmed together with their father.

Gerry

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 18 December 15 10:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the info Gerry much appreciated.  On rereading his eldest brother's records; it seems he re-enlisted 20 Mar 1941 QX12990. 

Uncle had another 2 brothers and 5 sisters so a large family. I cannot say if the other brothers enlisted as yet but research is a point in time exercise. :D

Westy