Author Topic: Mooney John  (Read 2432 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mooney John
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 20 December 15 23:02 GMT (UK) »
I didn't view the actual certificate - the index gives child's first and last names (not middle names), date of birth, mother's maiden name (if applicable), registration & sub-registration districts.

If cousin is going to Coleraine Library it's best to reserve microfilm reader ahead of time. Hours have been cut back but staff are very helpful. St. James' records are in box #105.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Vonnie1962

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 14 February 16 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Just to thank you once again myself and my mam are coming to stay with remaining family in Ballymoney tomorrow for a few days so hopefully will make more progress thanks for your help. :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 14 February 16 18:51 GMT (UK) »
Glad to hear that you and mother will be coming over. Today was absolutely lovely- cold but dry and sunny. Haven't been to Ballymoney since Friday  ;)

Offline Vonnie1962

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 23 February 16 19:49 GMT (UK) »
We came over and had a fantastic 5 days meeting family I hadn't met before three generations of our family and I went to the library in coleraine and found out some more information my great grandmother's birth certificate naming her mother but no father and her eldest child was registered but couldn't find some of the others but was informed that it was because the father of the children was probably catholic and may have gone to Scotland . I enjoyed travelling around the antrim coast and visiting the Dunlop memorial gardens and joeys bar etc... Ballymoney  has changed since I was last there 1980. The info you helped me with really helped when I visited the library  thank you very much. :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 23 February 16 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Glad you had a great trip over here.

went to the library in coleraine and found out some more information my great grandmother's birth certificate naming her mother but no father and her eldest child was registered but couldn't find some of the others but was informed that it was because the father of the children was probably catholic and may have gone to Scotland .

Father's of illegitimate children weren't supposed to be named on birth certificates unless father attended the registration with the child's mother. All the children should have been registered (birth registration started 1864 and after 1870 was compulsory)

Offline Vonnie1962

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 23 February 16 22:05 GMT (UK) »
I will have to try again there are 4 births that I couldn't find family that we met are all children and grandchildren and great grandchildren of them but nobody seemed to know anything if they did they were not saying !!! We visited the cottages and school and also the remains of a dwelling and the house where my great grandmother lived and worked as a servant so sad .