Author Topic: 161 Leger Road  (Read 1387 times)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 161 Leger Road
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 27 December 15 09:54 GMT (UK) »
Crew list is here:
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14738428
The address in the CWG listing is correct for John Hetherington, so I'm running with it being correct for William Belanger.

But no-one can find this address for you!

I suggest the original list may have been hard to read. The street name Leyes Road may have been mistranscribed as Leger Road and copied from there into other sources.

As you can see from the map link that I posted above, Leyes Road was right by the docks and would have been full of seamen's lodgings.

If you're not happy with that suggestion, try contacting Newham Local Studies to see if they can find Leger Road for you.
https://www.newham.gov.uk/Pages/Services/Local-history-and-archives.aspx

Offline Lily M

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 27 December 15 11:56 GMT (UK) »
I agree with Bookbox that it must have been copied incorrectly.

I can't find any Leger Road, but Leyes Road is at the end of Liliput Road, which is where the Custom House for the Victoria Docks was.

Offline Canuc

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sgt John William Hetherington 1866-1934
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 27 December 15 14:20 GMT (UK) »
Sometimes it's better to stop running, of course a "g" transcribed for a "y" makes perfect sense and an "s" could easily be read as "r".
Thank you
Canuc 
Hetherington (William - born England Aprox 1834 Salford, Cabinet Maker, died Dublin - Father also William born Ireland),
Wilson, Wright, Morely, Morris (Jewish blood and a name change in there somewhere, but who and when?)
James, Driscoll, Collins, Murphy (all end up in Ireland far too quickly)
Sewell (Bexley, Kent)
Harrison, Higginson, Mitchell - Sussex
Tench, Ireland
Hogg,

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 27 December 15 14:40 GMT (UK) »
You're most welcome  :)

Offline Canuc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 27 December 15 15:10 GMT (UK) »
A search of the 1911 census doesn't offer up an Ellen Palmer on Leyes Road but I do get an Ellen, aged 22, living with her widowed mother at 21 Upton Park Road AND that entry shows that Mrs Palmer took in lodgers. The daughter of the household taking a shine towards the lodger isn't exactly uncommon.

Census ref: RG14PN9375 RG78PN506 RD188 SD2 ED2 SN157 piece number 9375

This may be as far as I can take this, we know they were at sea on December 25th. They had been at sea on or about Nov 5th, that is the date of Jack's last letter home to his mother (his father had joined the B.E.F. in France Sep 15th). In that letter he suggests that he was only in England, and able to take leave, once a month. Nov 5th he could not, but next time he hoped to be home for Christmas. So, from that evidence I'll not be expecting to find a William Belanger junior. I understand the biology, but you have to be home at the right time for the biology to work.

Shaun J, so I can tidy this up can you provide me with a link to where you found the 90 Upton Road address please?

Many thanks for everyone's efforts.
Canuc
Hetherington (William - born England Aprox 1834 Salford, Cabinet Maker, died Dublin - Father also William born Ireland),
Wilson, Wright, Morely, Morris (Jewish blood and a name change in there somewhere, but who and when?)
Sewell (Bexley, Kent)
Tench, Ireland
Hogg,

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Canuc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 27 December 15 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Well, a Joseph Jules Belanger was born in March 1916, no mother's maiden name given of course.

Working the time line back:
A March birth, a fourth quarter marriage, father at sea. A month to write to William and sort out details; miss a second month, no doubt; miss a month, suspect; I'm only off up to the green grocers, I can carry the basket but if you'd like the walk...; what's the new lodger's name mum, not from round here is he?

There's no certainty in this timeline but it can't be ignored either.

The things we investigate just for the pleasure of it.
Canuc

Thank you Shaun, you posted as I was writing this.
Sewell (Bexley, Kent)
Tench, Ireland
Hogg,