Author Topic: George Edward HOARE, victim of attempted murder in Victoria  (Read 4829 times)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
George Edward HOARE, victim of attempted murder in Victoria
« on: Monday 28 December 15 06:59 GMT (UK) »
In 1889 Thomas AVISON, born Eganstown Vic. a well regarded citizen and hotel keeper of Dry Diggings and Daylesford, married Margert McCRACKEN of Taradale (reg 3091)  and  they had  daughter Adaline Mary in 1890 (reg 12033).

The multiple news stories tell that by 1890 Thomas suspected his wife of being unfaithful, but was not able to prove it, so he made a plan. On Dec 2nd 1890, he announced a trip away from home on business, saying he would be gone overnight. Later that night he returned to his home and entered the bedroom where he found his wife and a man named George  Edward HOARE “misconducting themselves” He used a tomahawk to strike the skull of HOARE several blows with intention to murder, and then reported to the local medical man.
 http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/8466541

Little hope was held for his survival, but surprisingly, HOARE did not die. He was hospitalised and began to recover. However, he absconded from hospital against doctor’s advice and the case  could not proceed due to his disappearance.

His jewellery business was offered for sale by Jan 20th 1891
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/8467731

February 12th 1891 the case was struck out as HOARE had disappeared without trace.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/52342238

A dissolution of the marriage of Margaret (nee McCRACKEN) and Thomas AVISON was granted June 1891.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/65303428.

I have enough information about the remarriages of Thomas and of Margaret (nee MCCracken) and their offspring and future lives etc and I have a good deal on the background of Thomas AVISON, parents/family etc.

I would like to know if anyone can find more on George Edward HOARE, jeweller and watchmaker of Vincent Street Daylesford. I cannot locate anything of  his birth, his parents or any references before the attempted murder or after the news items about the incident and the divorce.

Any clues out there?

Sue 

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Edward HOARE, victim of attempted murder in Victoria
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 December 15 08:14 GMT (UK) »
Sue, you would have seen this article which suggests he left Victoria by January 1891.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/149915415

As you would also know, he probably changed his name as well.  ::)

This article suggests that the police thought he was still in Melbourne in mid-January.  :-\

Fancy people 'misconducting themselves'  :o ::) 8) :P

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 December 15 08:43 GMT (UK) »
Well, misconducting themselves sounds so much better than having criminal conversation which is the expression used when a co-respondent was named in a NSW divorce that dissolved the marriage of two of my ancestors.... 

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 December 15 09:15 GMT (UK) »
Judith,
Of all the many repetitive articles I read on the case, this one I had not seen ::)
Thank you for finding it.

I do wonder about Hoare's cognitive function after so many massive blows to his skull and wonder how he lived our whatever of his life remained.

Well, misconducting themselves sounds so much better than having criminal conversation which is the expression used when a co-respondent was named in a NSW divorce that dissolved the marriage of two of my ancestors.... 

Cheers,  JM

JM. Hard to choose between two such wonderful euphemisms :P

Sue

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 December 15 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Interesting when you read the advertisement about selling his jewellery business which is being managed by a Laurence Patterson, accountant etc of Melbourne.  The ad states that George Edward HOARE signed over his assets to trustees on 30 December 1890; implication being that it was George himself who set up this trust.  it would be very interesting to know who the trustee/s is/are.

The Welsh newspapers are much more straight-forward, reporting in 1850 -  “the wife of another man was living in adulterous intercourse with the deceased at the time of his death. This fact was alone sufficient to raise a suspicion that the sudden death of the deceased was occasioned by poison.”  The inquest was requested by his daughter who seemed to think he had left money to the woman he was living with.  Mind you he was 79 at the time..........................  This, of course, is my husband's ancestor - nothing to do with my side  :P :D 

I digress, sorry - Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 December 15 12:18 GMT (UK) »
This marriage seems to fit his name/s & occupation   :-\

http://postimg.org/image/gh8boylaf/

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 December 15 20:34 GMT (UK) »
Maybe nothing, but an Ellen FAIRWEATHER died at Waverley Sydney no parents listed in 1894. I wondered if any divorce or disolution of marriage occured between George and HIS wife.??

DID they have children  ::)

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 28 December 15 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to all for your thoughts and findings.

Thurs 15th Jan 1891
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/8466541

Dr. Stevenson deposed to the injuries inflicted upon Hoare, and stated that Hoare,had been bothering him for some time for   permission to go to Melbourne, as he had some urgent business to attend to, but he kept putting him off. However, Hoare left the Daylesford Hospital on the 27th December to go to Melbourne, and had not since returned, nor had witness seen any- thing of him. Hoare left the hospital without his (the doctor's) consent, and he considered that at that time Hoare was still in a critical condition as regarded the injury to his brain. The wound on the side of the head was in a vital part. He did not con- sider that Hoare was in a fit state to be arrested and bound over at the time he left the hospital. 

3rd Jan 1891
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/84693990
Another act in the Dry Diggings tragedy has been commenced. Avison, who tomahawked the jeweller Hoare, for paying undue attention to his wife { ;D another piece of quaint wording ;D} has petitioned for a divorce from his wife on the ground of adultery. Hoare has recovered from the frightful injuries he received, and is believed to have quitted the country. Avison not only sues for a divorce but claims £1000 from Hoare. It is not likely, however, that Hoare will be found, and his absence will probably put an end to the charge of attempted murder against Avison.       

So, perhaps he sought to liquidate his assets, leaving the hospital on 27th December to go to Melbourne. Interesting that in medical opinion HOARE was not considered “in a fit state to be arrested”, but apparently competent to deal with business affairs.

Was unable to be located by Jan 3rd and believed “out of the country”

Advertisement appeared a few weeks later.

One wonders why he was so very reluctant to take part in the proceedings. Apart from the obvious humiliation in the Avison affair, were  there other issues in his life which he wished to conceal? Mysterious character ::)

The 1879 marriage found by Merlin looks very possible.

Sue

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 29 December 15 00:40 GMT (UK) »
This is interesting a snipet posted 2013 Ancestry. "My wording" Apparently George Edwin HOARE was born in England around 1860 and came to Australia C1880 with his sister Louisa.

Was Mr AVISON a Publican??

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads