Author Topic: mother of william ward born 1836  (Read 2799 times)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: birth parents
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 30 January 16 17:31 GMT (UK) »
There you go then, goblin - OFHS is the route of choice. Buy the CD or pay someone there a small amout to do a lookup - simples  ;D.

Perhaps if you change the title of the post* to 'Baptism of William Ward 1836 Crawley' - as Carol says someone with the CD might look it up for you. The more specific your title, the easier it is for someone to focus in if they can help.

*Only you or a moderator can do this. Go to your first post, click 'modify' in the top right corner & edit the title, then click 'save'.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 30 January 16 17:37 GMT (UK) »
Bit of duplication here unfortunately:  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=737888.msg5839867

Topics merged.
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline Iffley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 30 January 16 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Alternatively the OFHS website has a search service where they'll check their baptism index for a modest charge of £1.50 per name.

If you have the lookup done in the OFHS baptism index there are two advantages:

1)  There may be several relevant candidates - OFHS will use a county-wide search for you

2)  If appropriate, OFHS will also give you the image of the parish register as part of the search results

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 30 January 16 17:44 GMT (UK) »
I can only quote Victor Meldrew  in despair....

Well spotted Carol.

Goblin - please in future post a link to any connected posts; it can be extremely annoying to spend an amount of time only to find the original poster already has been given information before by others who have also spent valuable time. We could be helping people with new questions rather than duplicating earlier research.

Here's one I posted earlier  ;D
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=738845.msg5850408#msg5850408
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Kimbrey

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: mother of william ward born 1836
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 31 January 16 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Crawley was a Chapelry of Witney until 1854

Baptism-Witney St Mary
14 August 1836-William Ward bb s Dorcas  "Crawley"

{from the OFHS p/r transcriptions}

Kim

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 06 February 16 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Just looked in the OxFHS - Marriage index. 1538-1837.

No marriage for Dorcas Ward, but I suspect that William Ward is possibly illigitimate.

Daniel Ward married Susannah Harris, 23 Oct 1815 @ Chadlington, Oxon.

Steve. :)

Oops, I missed Kimbrey's post. :-[
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline goblin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 16 February 16 23:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello again, the post that Kimberley answered is correct.  William was the son of Dorcas ward.  The information is listed as follow"  14 August 1836  William Ward  bb  s Dorcas, crawley.  Does anyone know what the bb stands for. Could that be the sign he was illegitimate?   I also followed advice of the other wonderful posts I received on this William ward, and ordered his marriage certificate from OFHS in Cowley.  I just got it today, it doesn't list either mother or father, so I do now believe he was illegitimate.  Thank you all for you kind help, goblin
ward, fawdrey, judd, wright

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 17 February 16 01:42 GMT (UK) »
BB, is an abbreviation of Base Born, that is, Illegitimate.  One of the more 'polite' terms used in parish registers and birth certs.

Steve. :)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline goblin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 17 February 16 15:17 GMT (UK) »
Thank you steve for the explanation on that BB in a birth certificate.  That's what I thought but  have never heard the term base born before. Appreciate the information,  goblin from the usa
ward, fawdrey, judd, wright