Author Topic: May Dorothy Collins, born in 1900  (Read 5593 times)

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
Re: May Dorothy Collins, born in 1900
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 14:42 GMT (UK) »
There are loads of Lizzie Collins arrivals and departures but I can't access them to check them out.
If she was born in the USA c.1877 someone may be able to pick her up arriving here.

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Looked at electoral rolls and Francis Yvon Eccles lived with his father from at least 1921 to 1929 (father died 1929).   In 1933 Francis is living with Yvonne Violet and Evelyn.

Haven't looked at all the entries but in 1945 Evelyn still with him.   In 1958 and 1963 Francis living alone.

Yvonne Violet married as Eccles in 1941 Westminster to a Roberts.   She died 1983 Westminster and her birth date is given as 15/1/1898.

Surely the death of a Lisa Eccles bc.1879 d.Mar.qtr.1941 Windsor must be May's mother??   Granted 4/5 years younger than previously but cannot see any birth for such a person, nor any other marriage for a Lisa to an Eccles.

1. The whole crux of the information regarding May Dorothy comes from the birth certificate that family has - do you have a copy of it?   If not, is it possible that they could let you have a copy to ascertain exactly what the certificate says re. her mothers name, occupation of Albert Collins etc., when it was actually issued?   It seems strange that it contains all this information yet looks like birth registered under both Collins and Eccles but with no Christian name given in index.   It makes me think the certificate family has must have been issued at a later date (perhaps for pension reasons).

2. You say May married in 1920's - can you tell us whom she married?   I cannot find an obvious death entry for her based on her birthdate.

3. If Albert Collins was in the army it's possible that at some time he was in either Canada/America and met/married Lisa (Lizzie) there (if they were indeed married).

4. You say that May was brought up in an orphanage and financially supported by family BUT the place where she was aged 10 was actually said to be the 'Workhouse' per census.

Since all the other children grew up as 'Eccles' (whether born Collins or not) and just May seems to have been abandoned is it possible that Francis did not recognise her as his (perhaps away at the time of her conception).   I don't think Kathleen married - her birth reg'd Eccles Dec.1899 Croydon and a Kathleen Eccles b.7/11/1899 died in Bath in 1991 - possibly her?   If so, just 9 months between her birth and that of May Dorothy!!

Annette 
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline andarah1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 17:42 GMT (UK) »
My cousin is asking her aunt to copy the birth and marriage certificate today and send it to her. May never had a birth certificate and the one the family has was issued in 1947. What you said makes sense! The birth lists Francis Yvon Eccles and the marriage lists Albert Collins as the father. As soon as I get the certificates, I will look at Albert's occupation and the witnesses.

She married Alfred Thomas Boxall in 1923 and both of them died in Canada in the late 1980s.

Family lore says she was sponsored in a 'foundling home' where she went at about 4 years old. She has no memories of her family. Her brother Cyrus was in a school in 1911 as well.

There is a question of the parentage. The father was gone somewhere and when he returned, there was a baby. 9 months is very tight to have a baby! Maybe she was early and that's why parentage was questioned?? Maybe that's why she wasn't initially given a name? She was small and not expected to live?? I'll ask my cousin to question her grandmother on that. If she never had contact with her family, I doubt she knows that answer.

Thank you for all the help!

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 17:53 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps checking the Workhouse School records for Anerly Road, Penge might be worth looking at to see who admitted her and when?

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline andarah1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 20:05 GMT (UK) »
We definitely need to find out who admitted her and when.

Would it make sense that she was taken from her mother at birth, if she wasn't expected to live, and then when she did live, they didn't know how to reach the parents? Then raised her as an orphan? That would explain why her mother said on the 1911 census that one of her children had died. Also, if she was born only 9 months and 10 days after her sister, she was probably early and sickly. May was very petite her entire life. The family lore about parentage must have been made up in her imagination as the workhouse wouldn't know that detail and she had no contact with her family. Maybe other kids planted it in her head.

Is that plausible?

We definitely need to get her admission records.

If I could find her in 1901 it would help figure this out.

Offline andarah1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Evelyn (her sister)'s birth wasn't registered until 1928! They backdated it back to the first qtr of 1902. What was going on with this family??

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, the departure of a May D Boxall 12th September 1956 occ Housewife Liverpool to Montreal abode in UK 13, Hampstead Meadows, Chidham, Chichester confirms dob as 17th August 1900

May as May Boxall aged 56 b 17th August 1900 arrived back in the UK same address in UK 24th January 1957 New York to Southampton on the Queen Mary

May as May Boxall aged 50 address in UK Dormen? Cottage, Vincent Road, Selsey arrived back to UK 26th October 1950 Montreal to Liverpool with two young girls aged 14 and 11

MARY Boxall aged 48 occ Domestic departed Southampton 19th October 1948 for Halifax on Vessel Aquitania along with a son 16 occ Book Binder and daughters 12 and 9 address in UK Ellerslee, Manor Road, Selsey

Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline andarah1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 01 January 16 18:25 GMT (UK) »
I've seen her birth certificate now. She was registered without a name on Sept 28, 6 weeks after her birth. Either she was sickly and not expected to live or someone really didn't want her. :( She was registered by both parents. Since there was no name (given or surname) for the child, she was registered under both parents' surnames - Female Eccles and Female Collins.

Thank you for your help! I'd still like to find her in the 1901 census because it would give a clue as to what happened to her from the beginning. I'd also like to find Lizzie/Lisa Collins' origins.

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 02 January 16 11:44 GMT (UK) »
When did Lisa/Lizzie arrive from USA?

Who named the baby if no name given at registration?

Albert Collins, need to know his occupation.

Details of addresses and witnesses from marriage certificate .

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk