Author Topic: The Chamberlain Family - London  (Read 4331 times)

Offline Jamesharrislondonuk

• RootsChat Extra
  • All my research is free to see @ 'ivyonline.co.uk'
    • View Profile
Re: The Chamberlain Family - London
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 06 January 16 08:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Daisy, Mabel, Ray & Jennifer your guys are really good!

The Grace Cleaver marriage to Arthur Chamberlain was a tempting connection to pursue which has helped me to rule out some loose ends with Arthur.  In the end the Arthur that married Grace Cleaver turned out to be a well known public figure and Chartered Accountant. He appeared as a boarder in Brighton as an Accountants Clerk in the 1881 census.  In the same 1881 census my Arthur John Chamberlain is living with Elizabeth Chamberlain.  He is listed as a private in the queens hussars and Elizabeth is stated as coming from Dublin Ireland.  All interesting stuff as a lot of the details between the 2 Arthur's match up.  I'm now thinking that the Death certificate for Arthur in Islington could be his, however it puts his age as 37 at death meaning he would have been born 10 years earlier in 1847 - this could have been an error made back then.

I'd love to know more details about the marriage of a Arthur Richard Chamberlain to Elizabeth Cal set or Colbert in 1877 in Dublin.  I haven't been able to fall be the record as yet and am keen to rule it in or out.  Elizabeth is a really key bit of information.  Arthur joined the Hussars in 1879 and left before 1881 when they went from Home duty to the Boer War.  That puts Arthur in Ireland 2 years before he seemingly joined the Hussars.
All interesting stuff - thanks so much to you all for you help it has been absolutely invaluable

James
Trenwith, Harris, Chamberlain, Caldenhove, Hagger, Blackley, Ingram, Stringer, Laver, Orchard, Halverson (more to be added...)

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 06 January 16 11:05 GMT (UK) »
James, I think there may be a little bit of a mix up in your information.  You have mentioned that you have a birth for Annie in Qtr 1 1881 3a 414 Edmonton.  I really cannot find that birth, could you post that birth if you have it.  If Annie had been born and registered by end of March 1881 she should/would have been on the 1881 census with parents.

I have however found an Annie Chamberlain born 1st Qtr 1888 3a 414 Edmonton.  Her father was an Alfred Chamberlain but (on 1891 census) he was a jobbing gardener and had a wife Hannah (born London) and they were together on the 1881 census.

Also:  the 1881 census details you gave: Class: RG11/1093/51 p 26 are for the Arthur Chamberlain who was the lodger and accountants clerk on the 1881 census.

The Arthur Chamberlain in the Hussars is:  Class: RG11/1011/48 p 55

Arthur & wife Elizabeth were living in Cheriton in Kent, the base for Shorncliffe Army Camp since 1794 and likely where Arthur was stationed in 1881.  I can't see why Annie (if born in 1881) would have been registered in Edmonton Middx.

Ray
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 06 January 16 12:53 GMT (UK) »
There is an 11 yr old Annie Chamberlain in Tottenham (also born Tottenham) in 1891 with grandparents George and Esther Chamberlain.

George and Esther are shown as Chamberlin in 1871 in Tottenham with children including a son Arthur, 15 b Hackney.

Is this the right family?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 06 January 16 15:07 GMT (UK) »
1891 census:

Household Members:   
Name                  Age
George Chamberlain   69
Esther Chamberlain   66
Annie Chamberlain   11

Source: RG12; Piece: 1070; Folio: 17; Page: 28;

This Annie is also on the 1881 census with grandparents:

Household Members:   
Name                  Age
George Chamberlaine   58
Ester Chamberlaine   57   Wife
Ernest Chamberlaine   28   Son
Sarah Chamberlaine   25   daughter-in-law
Emma Chamberlaine   18   daughter
Anne Chamberlaine   1     grandaughter:

I don't think that Annie(e) was the daughter of Ernest & Sarah because they did not marry until July 1880 (obviously possible but I think that the census would have showed the link).  Annie could have been Emma's daughter but I can't find a suitable birth for Annie around 1880 on freebmd, so perhaps she was born in Ireland?

Grandfather George was a bricklayer and in 1871 his son Arthur was a bricklayers apprentice.

Ray
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline Jamesharrislondonuk

• RootsChat Extra
  • All my research is free to see @ 'ivyonline.co.uk'
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 06 January 16 17:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, thanks for the continued interest.

Ray, my spreadsheet log I use has become corrupted - I will re-validate the existing information.

The Shorncliffe information is really useful. 

I've pursued the George Chamberlain route in the past and found that the details didn't fit, although with Annie or Ann Chamberlain the details are enticing.  From the oral family history I have Annie was the eldest sibling but this could be incorrect.  If I remember correctly I traced the George Chamberlain back in the census material and found that the chamberlain surname was originally spelt as Chambers.  Either way the George route didn't seem to fit at the time but I will review again to see if I've missed something.

Annie chamberlains birth details are a mystery particularly when she doesn't appear in the 1881 census.  My guess at the time was that Elizabeth was pregnant with her whilst the census was taken. 

Will get back when I've done some more digging

Huge thanks once again :)
Trenwith, Harris, Chamberlain, Caldenhove, Hagger, Blackley, Ingram, Stringer, Laver, Orchard, Halverson (more to be added...)

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 07 January 16 00:06 GMT (UK) »
Have you got the marriage of Annie to Ernest Pimm, this would give her fathers name and occupation.

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 07 January 16 00:23 GMT (UK) »
At last,  the 1891 census for 25 St Ann's Road Tottenham looks to be the correct one :D

Elizabeth Chamberlain 31 widow Ironer born Isle of Wight
Horace J 7 New Beckenham

On Family Search 3 WW1 war records for Horace Colbert Chamberlain show place of birth Beckenham kent. :)

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk