Author Topic: Ancestry or Find My Past  (Read 642 times)

Offline Familysearch

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ancestry or Find My Past
« on: Friday 01 January 16 16:20 GMT (UK) »
I am sure that this topic has been raised before - so apologies for the repetition.

Ancestry have offered me a discount of 25% on an annual subscription for their Premium membership. (£89)
(I can actually access their Worldwide membership by going to my local library  but of course have to take in the time to travel there.)

For a very similar amount (£99.50) I can subscribe to Find My Past.

So, I ask, what do Rootschat members prefer?  Would I benefit by going with Find My Past - and fill in international gaps by going to the library?  Unless I have missed something obvious, there does not seem to be any difference in the files that are available.

Perhaps I should mention that I live in England and that as far as I am aware most of my relatives live/lived in UK.  The ones that have ventured to foreign fields have already been accounted for.

I would appreciate your input before sending off my money - or deciding on the more time consuming travel to the library.

With thanks.  FS

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry or Find My Past
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 January 16 16:36 GMT (UK) »
FindMyPast has fantastic Welsh parish records (and some English ones) and of course the 1939 register. I tend to find FindMyPast is easier to search.

But I have my tree on Ancestry and wouldn't be without it until I decide which FH software to go for. Ancestry has a lot of London (LMA) records.

You used to be able to have a trial (14 days?) of both and see which you prefer before committing.   
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 January 16 19:59 GMT (UK) »
There is an offer on for a Worldwide Sub to FindMyPast if you decide to go with them.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=738130.0;

"Get 50% off any World subscription
Save 50% on a 1 month or 12 month World subscription with your exclusive discount code XMASOFF15. Hurry, offer ends 5 January.
Get 50% off"

Works out cheaper than the £99.50

Mo
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 January 16 20:29 GMT (UK) »
If you can't get a free trial, the most sensible thing is to go to both sites and check their sets of records, then you can decide which one has the records most appropriate to your research. You will find both sites will have the same  of some the records, such as the Census etc. but other records are quite different, so it is a case of which suits you best.

Jebber
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 January 16 20:38 GMT (UK) »
I agree with Jebber. There have been lots of threads about the the differences between the two sites and the majority agree that it boils down to taste and the areas you are researching. What suits some people won't suit others.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 January 16 21:17 GMT (UK) »
I agree that it definitely depends on the places you wish to research.  I subscribe to both sites.   

It may be me, but I can never find how to navigate from the home page to the FindMyPast full list of records so I now have them bookmarked:

http://www.findmypast.co.uk/articles/world-records or
http://www.findmypast.co.uk/articles/world-records/full-list-of-united-kingdom-records

Mo
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)

Offline Familysearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 January 16 09:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all your input.

I will investigate that further discount - it's better than the one I have been offered.

The 1939 list is the temptation since I have most of the tree accounted for on all the previous census lists.  That and parish records, would probably be the most useful at this stage.

Regards

FS

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 January 16 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all your input.

I will investigate that further discount - it's better than the one I have been offered.

The 1939 list is the temptation since I have most of the tree accounted for on all the previous census lists.  That and parish records, would probably be the most useful at this stage.

Regards

FS

The 1939 Register is not included in the subscription, you have to buy extra credits for that.

Jebber
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 02 January 16 10:34 GMT (UK) »
If the reason for changing to FindMyPast is mainly for the 1939 register, as Jebber said, there is no advantage, as they are NOT included in the subscription , you have to buy credits to see them. The only advantage is that often subscribers are sent codes that enable them to see one record for a reduced price.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk