Author Topic: look up please looking for the parents of John Britten born Berkshire 1813.  (Read 4216 times)

Offline Scorpio Rising

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: look up please looking for the parents of John Britten born Berkshire 1813.
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 03 January 16 02:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have always been puzzled by the Augustas Collason bit. On his birth cert it is Collason but on his marriage cert it's Collinson, proberly just wrongly transcibed. The actual name itself suggests another parent. The only time John Edward reappears is in 1882 when he gets married,(if it is him), then he and his wife disapear again.

Offline karenlee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drive it like ya stole it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 03 January 16 02:35 GMT (UK) »

Hi

I am wondering if the family split up.... Maria took Clara and John took the boys??

As for John Edward and Alice Frances E E BRITTEN, I will see if they had children born in France?

Cheers
Karenlee
Census Information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline karenlee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 03 January 16 02:55 GMT (UK) »

Marriage Register
Paris France

John Edward BRITTEN, Bachelor of the Parish of Holborn in the County of Middlesex and Alice Frances Elizabeth Emma PETHERICK of the Parish of St Andrews Plymouth in the County of Devon, were married with the consent of Her Majesty's Ambassador, this 15th day of May 1882. Both bride and groom signed and witnesses were Elizabeth PETHERICK and William COLES

My French is pretty rudimentary.. but I could decipher enough to understand that John Edward BRITTEN, son of John BRITTEN and Maria nee CARTER died in Paris 4th April 1925. There is another name in English - Louisa Rofe COWARD but I cannot work out if she is listed as his current wife or not.

These came from the UK, Foreign and Overseas Registers of British Subjects 1628 - 1969 on Anc*****.

At least one child was born in France... an Edward John BRITTEN sometime betwee 1882 - 1885 ish.

Cheers
Karenlee

Offline Scorpio Rising

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 03 January 16 03:39 GMT (UK) »
Thats interesting karenlee, it's more likely to right than the marriage to Alice F. S. S. Pethersek.
It's difficult for me to get all the records I want as I'm now living in the Philippines and internet access is lousey also I can't get BMD certs.

Offline Scorpio Rising

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 03 January 16 04:11 GMT (UK) »
Just found this,Edward John Britten born Paris France, spouse Elisa Rossier, child Lilliane Dorothie Britten born 1907 New York. She only lived 12 days.

Offline karenlee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 03 January 16 04:13 GMT (UK) »
Ahem....

:-[ :-[

It appears that John Edward and Alice F E E BRITTEN were divorced in about 1891 due to her frequent and continued adulterous behaviour with diverse others. At least 4 other men were named in the proceedings. It also mentions that there were no children from this marriage.  Strange... I thought that there was at least one son.

ADDED.... as per your previous entry

Offline Scorpio Rising

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 03 January 16 04:42 GMT (UK) »
So where does this Edward John fit in, he matches the Edward John c1880 and marriage I found.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 03 January 16 05:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, there is an Edward John Britten born 25th February 1879 France with a wife Eliza who served in America in the 1st World War?

Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline karenlee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 03 January 16 05:46 GMT (UK) »
keyboard... I can see this man in 1910 USA Census.  On his WW1 Draft Card he give his occupation as a Caterer, and on the Census as a Waiter.  There are two children, Louis aged 4 and Magdalena aged 1.

Eliza is shown as being born in Switzerland.

There is also a John BRITTEN aged 58 with his wife Louisa ( born in France ) who is a Coachman.

Now going back a bit, when John BRITTEN born about 1851 died in Paris in 1925, the name Louisa came up then too??

Then there is a US Social Security Application Claim Index that shows a John BRITTEN born 25th Feb 1881 in France.  Claim dated 14th Oct 1948.

Plus... a New York Military Service ( National Guard ) Card which shows the Military Service Record of one Louis Albert BRITTEN born 16th Sept 1906 in France. Dated from 19th Dec 1923 until 19th Oct 1935.  In 1932 this Louis was living in Hempstead on Long Island.  By 1940 he is married to Vivian PARKER and still living in Hempstead.