Author Topic: Scotland's People Website  (Read 4415 times)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Scotland's People Website
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 03 January 16 21:23 GMT (UK) »
I'm obviously not one of the chosen ones as it's taking credits off the few that I have left.  I hadn't realised this fact until I got the page that demanded more money be spent on credits.

I might not bother as instead of transcribing the father's name of "William Sim Shirras" he's recorded, rather incongruously I think, as "William Jim Shirras".   I've now had a think and possibly "Jim" sprang to mind because the baby was christened with the name of "James"  ::)
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 03 January 16 22:37 GMT (UK) »
Are you sure you are on the Catholic Parish Registers

I went into it, typed in the surname I'm interested in (no need to bother with areas or forenames) as it's free for all over Scotland & bottom of page shows just as the "Wills" page.....Free?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 03 January 16 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Out of interest........

As this is a search on CPR just the same as the normal free wills index......

Will this show up in future on our "Previous searches" free ???

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 04 January 16 06:17 GMT (UK) »
What I did notice , and others may have experienced different, was that it seemed to only be a handful of records ie not a complete set but various parishes.

I clicked on Catholic Records typed the name and e.g 21 results View Free. The cost was in clicking through to the record. So yes the index search is free but the certificate is not :)
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 04 January 16 07:16 GMT (UK) »
I also got  my e-mail when using it yesterday the only index that was asking for 1 credit was the Marriage the rest of the index's were free ....Sorted out when I tried this morning all index's free
Rosie  ;D ;D

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Scottish relatives sisters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 04 January 16 07:35 GMT (UK) »
I haven't received that email, so thank you for posting that info, 3sillydogs  :)

Judy, like we know with old records, RC records are patchy. The RC archivists went round some years ago to RC churches around Scotland to check for old registers is my understanding. Had a long old chat with the RC priest at Mingarry in Argyll a couple of years ago. They took registers to copy and return (either as copy registers or originals). As with the OPRs, many registers were lost and destroyed over the years.

Monica

Thanks for your interest once again Monica. Yes, initially, I went and chatted to the RC Priest in Gatehouse of Fleet about the marriage records and he told me something similar. A very interesting conversation, though he told me to contact another Priest in Glasgow which, sadly, I didn't follow up at the time.

Did anyone else notice that there appear to be English RC records included too?

Judy
Blair, Marshall, Williamson - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Saxton, Sketchley - Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline carlineric

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 04 January 16 08:50 GMT (UK) »
I think the English RC records refer to the Bishopric of the Forces and may also cover other countries where the armed forces had bases eg Iraq, Lebanon, Malta. The best source for the coverage of the records is Andrew R Nicoll's "Scottish Catholic Family History". Not only does it show what is available it also explains what the various types of record are.

Eric

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Francis McNab 1874 - 1932
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 04 January 16 10:56 GMT (UK) »
Why is it, that when some site offers "freebies".. it always sounds better than it actually is ... i.e. - I have absolutely tons of RC's in my tree, but looks like most of them being from the same Camlachie area, - they are not found .. ?? one of the Catholic parishes which hasn't survived?  Oh well.....
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Francis McNab 1874 - 1932
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 04 January 16 11:06 GMT (UK) »
I have just confirmed my own suspicions by doing a really wide CPR Baptism search for my main surname, no first names, from 1872 - to 1992, and there is not one single record for the Camlachie area parishes... Oh well, will spend my time on other options.. "Freebie" disappointment again lolol!!
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.