Author Topic: Book 1769  (Read 5471 times)

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Book 1769
« on: Saturday 16 July 05 09:26 BST (UK) »
I have 'A New & Complete History of the Holy Bible from the Creation of the World, to the Incarnation of our Blessed Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ' 1769.

I thought it was a family bible at first as it is a huge book (Nearly A4 x 21/2" thick) and ancient looking. Within its pages it has some pressed flowers from my mums wedding bouquet in 1949 but no other family information.

I don't really know what to do with it. Do I just preserve it in acid free environment etc or is it of some other use? Is it rare, should I lend it to the archives or a museum or is is as common as muck?

Also should I be doing something with the pressed flowers and greenery or are they best left where they are?

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: Book 1769
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 July 05 09:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane,
Have a look at this site:  http://www.bl.uk/services/npo/faq.html
Good basic advice on caring for books and other bits and pieces. 
The postings at the top of the Photograph Restoration board will give you links if you need to find a conservator.
I would leave the flowers inside the book, but you may want to get hold of a sheet of archival/acid-free tissue paper to place either side of the flower, to protect it and the pages from each other in future.
As to its value, I can't give you any advice there, I'm sorry.  Hopefully someone else will reply with something helpful in that department!
Prue

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Book 1769
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 July 05 10:02 BST (UK) »
Prue

Thanks for the advice on conservation, epecially for the flowers. It is not its monetary value that I am interested in just whether it is of value as an exhibit or reference to others.

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk