Author Topic: William Hodds -was he baptised Winterton 1755 or Thurne 1762?  (Read 658 times)

Offline Duodecem

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Hodds -was he baptised Winterton 1755 or Thurne 1762?
« on: Monday 04 January 16 13:26 GMT (UK) »
 William Hodds married Elizabeth Rump, Thurne 1796. He was a widower. They had 5 children-Charlotte, Martha,Robert and William baptised Thurne, John baptised Acle and died in Yarmouth 1837/1840.
My problem lies with William's baptism-was he William Hodds baptised 17 October 1762 St Edmunds, Thurne, son of Richard Hodds and Mary Beck or was he William Hodds baptised Winterton on Sea 8 June 1755 son of John Hodds and Mary? :-\

I had decided on the 1762 Thurne,but all the Ancestry trees have 1755 Winterton. They have his 1st marriage to Mary Holt Winterton 1775. But there is no record of  Mary's death before 1796.

There doesn't seem to be any clues in sibling's names that point to either being the "correct" William.

All suggestions gratefully received, Jan

Cooper- Berks, Herts, Wrexham,Birmingham
Garrett- London, Berks
Morton-Berkshire
Harvey- Essex
Hambling, Royal,Dale,Jackson, Tann, Boatwright Edridge/Etheridge/Uttridge -all Norfolk
Osborne-Norfolk and Northumberland/Durham

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: William Hodds -was he baptised Winterton 1755 or Thurne 1762?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 January 16 14:51 GMT (UK) »
Marriage to Mary Holt was 1775 so if born c 1762 he would only be 13.
Susanna* and Elizabeth Hodds were Witnesses to that  1775 Marriage.

(*This may be Susanna MITCHELLS who married John HODDS 1765 Winterton)

Cant find any Children to that 1775 Marriage of William/Mary, not in Norfolk anyway.

A Susanna Hodds was buried 19 July 1820 Winterton age 79 (1741)
This would fit with the 1765 Marriage to John Hodds.

A JOHN Hodds was Baptised Winterton 14 Sept 1740 to JOHN/MARY, Fathers Occp Seaman

A JOHN Hodds was buried 19 Sep 1787 Winterton, age 46 (1741), married man.

1840 Great Yarmouth Burial has William as age 86 (1754) and Elizabeth 28 April 1837 age 62 (1775)

All above on FreeREG (I am still using the old site)

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 January 16 15:26 GMT (UK) »
JOHN/MARY Hodds Baptised Winterton;
SARAH 5 Feb 1737/38
JOHN 14 Sep 1740****
HEN    17 Oct 1742
MARY 29 May 1745 (only Fathers name John noted)
ELIZ 26 Nov 1749
MARTHA 16 Oct 1752
WILLIAM 8 June 1755****
All except Mary 1745 have Fathers Occp as Seaman

ELIZABETH Hodds may have married Charles SUTTON 14 Nov 1780 Winterton
She was buried    22 Sep 1790 Winterton, Wife of Charles, no age given.
Childrens Baptisms are on FreeREG Sarah/Eliza/Charles/Robert/Richard
(so she could be the Witness to the 1775 Marriage and Williams Sister born 1749)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Duodecem

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 January 16 15:51 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Trish -the age at death certainly seems to point to the Winterton William.
(I realised it was unlikely the 1762 William married Mary Holt unless he was quite old when baptised, so I'd discounted that marriage). Oddly, though, the Thurne William had sisters called Elizabeth & Susanna, which did confuse me.

Of course, it's quite likely that the 2 Williams were related in some way and the connection was the reason the Winterton William moved inland to Thurne. His son John, (b 1808 Acle) was my direct ancestor and was also a seaman, who married & died in Yarmouth.

I was a bit concerned that William didn't name one of his sons Richard. That also seems to indicate his father was John. There is a 1710 baptism in Winterton for John Hodds. (Sadly parents are also John & Mary)
No marriages that I can find in Winterton before 1765 so the maiden names of both Marys remain a mystery. As does the fate of Mary Holt.
Thank you once again  :)
Cooper- Berks, Herts, Wrexham,Birmingham
Garrett- London, Berks
Morton-Berkshire
Harvey- Essex
Hambling, Royal,Dale,Jackson, Tann, Boatwright Edridge/Etheridge/Uttridge -all Norfolk
Osborne-Norfolk and Northumberland/Durham