Author Topic: Tracing distinctive first names and middle names  (Read 13454 times)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing distinctive first names and middle names
« Reply #90 on: Thursday 28 January 16 05:59 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if I mentioned this already on this thread, but I have several Horatio Nelson Pine's on my tree. In my wife's there is a Dardanella, born in 1915.
Guessing she wasn't a Lone Pine either?

:D

;D ;D ;D ;D
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Sunday 31 January 16 00:38 GMT (UK) »
Distinctive names are all well and good ... as long as they stick to them!!!

One of my most problematic great great grandfathers is Thomas King Spooner. A nice easy name, you'd have thought ... but ... well!

I've still to invest in all the certificates to prove it, but I THINK I've puzzled him out.

Born: Thomas Escott Scott Spooner, Clerkenwell, 1857, only child of Edgar Spooner (a tailor) and his second wife Elizabeth Spooner (nee Escott). He had an older half sister called Mary Spooner, and a second older half sister called Louisa Mary King Spooner had died before he was born.

Elizabeth Spooner died between 1857 and 1863. Unfortunately, I have been unable to locate the family in the 1861 census, so I cannot say if this was before or after the census date.

Edgar Spooner adopted the name King, calling himself Edgar Spooner King, and then simply Edgar King. Thomas Escott Scott Spooner also appears to have adopted the name King, becoming (for now) simply Thomas King.

Edgar Spooner King married Eliza Wright in 1863, and they had three children, called Eve, Adam and John.

By the time of the 1871 census, Thomas King had left home and was an errand boy in the household of John Jacob Schafer at Coningham Terrace, Hammersmith (RG10 Piece 63 Folio 125 page 25).

[Edgar Spooner appears in the 1871 census as Edgar King, living with his wife Eliza and children Adam and Eve (John was not born until about 1873) in Artillery Lane, Bishopsgate, City of London (RG10 Piece 416 Folio 19 page 31); Eliza died between 1873 and 1877, and Edgar was married for a fourth time - reverting to the name Edgar Spooner - to Mary Ann Benge in Wandsworth in 1877. Mary Ann Spooner died in Lambeth in 1878, and in the 1881 census Edgar King is shown living at 5 Fanshaw Street, Shoreditch with his 8 year old son John (RG11 Piece 394 Folio 113 page 56). I do not have Edgar in any later censuses, but neither have I found his death.]

On 2 April 1879 Thomas King Spooner married Harriet Martindale at St Mary Hoxton, Middlesex.

In the 1881 census they appear as Thos and Harriet Spooner, living at 19 Buckingham High Street, Islington  (RG11 Piece 231 Folio 11 page 19).

They have children Frances Mary K Spooner (1884), Augustine John K Spooner (1886), Joseph King Spooner (born and died 1888), Kathleen Honora Spooner (born 9 February 1890).

In the 1891 Census they are listed at 166 Brady Street Dwellings, Brady Street, Whitechapel as Thomas K Spooner and Harriet Spooner, with children Frances, Augustine and Kathleen (RG12 Piece 279 Folio 28 page 28)

They have a further three children: Mildred King Spooner (born 1892, died 1894); Thomas King Spooner (born 1894); Harriet King Spooner (born 1897)

The 1901 census shows Thomas King Spooner, Harriett Spooner and their five surviving children at 13 High Street, Stratford Riverside, West Ham (RG13 Piece 1562 Folio 18 page 27)

Harriet Spooner died in 1905.

In the 1911 census, Thomas King Spooner and his son Thomas King Spooner are listed at 83 Diggon Street, Stepney (RG14PN1591 RG78PN56 RD21 SD1 ED20 SN185)

His daughter whose name at birth was registered as Kathleen Honora Spooner (no King: this is my great grandmother and I have her birth certificate - DEFINITELY no King) married in 1912. Her name on the marriage certificate is recorded as Kathleen Honora King Spooner.

I have not found Thomas King Spooner's death ... unless he is Thomas Spooner, 75, who died in the Tendring registration district in 1932 (obtaining this death certificate is high on my list of research priorities).

Now come ON guys ... if you're born with a name which is as helpful to future genealogists as Thomas Escott Scott Spooner ... for pity's sake MAKE USE OF IT!!!!!
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Sunday 31 January 16 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Distinctive names are all well and good ... as long as they stick to them!!!

True! If only they knew....

I think when illegitimacy is involved and the father's surname is used as a middle name, the names get switched around (perhaps when the parents marry?) or disappear altogether.

I have a Rawlings family in my tree, the children were registered in their mother's name (Richardson) with Rawlings as a middle name. The parents eventually married, and most of the children switched to Rawlings as their surname, some of them used Richardson as their middle name in honour of their original surname, while some use the name they were born with.
A confusing lot!
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Sunday 31 January 16 11:23 GMT (UK) »
My tree is very full of Mary, Margaret, Agnes, David, Robert and Williams. I did laugh though when a grt grt aunt who emigrated to the States married a man called Jackson who's parent had given the middle name Stonewall.

My name mystery was my grandfather David Woodburn Campbell as Woodburn wasn't his mum's maiden name.  I then found out that his grandfather was called David Woodburn Campbell but his mother wasn't a Woodburn either and I in 15 years of searching I hadn't found any Woodburns in the tree. I couldn't find any Woodburns withing a 50mile radius of where David senior was from either.  Then I had a break through in Church records.  Mr Campbell died 18months before David senior was born so couldn't be the father and the reputed father was David Woodburn who had temporarily been based at the local fort with the army, gave me a whole different line to trace.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Tuesday 26 April 16 01:45 BST (UK) »
I have a 1st cousin with (7 removes)  ::) named.....
Greenwell Jude b 1778 named after his mother Alice Greenwell.

I have a 3 x g grandaunt named....
Philadelphia Duff b 1801 (Edinburgh)

I now have a new addition with a name that beats both.....Zion!!!  ;D

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline JAKnighton

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Wednesday 27 April 16 19:57 BST (UK) »
One of my 3x great grandfather's (pictured in my avatar) many siblings was a Healy Thomas Knighton. I thought the name was unusual, and as I traced the family back a generation further, I discovered that their aunt Ruth Knighton had a son called Healy Thomas Cunnington.

But tracing back through further generations found no other instance of the name "Healy Thomas".

Healy Thomas Knighton had a son, Samuel Healy, who died in World War I but not before having a son Healy Raymond, and the name was passed down to the present day.

Later on I found Aunt Ruth in the 1851 Census as a young woman working in domestic service for a Healy Thomas Chapman. This solved the mystery of where the name came from! Mr. Chapman must have become a family friend for the name to be used not only by Ruth but by my 4x great grandfather Samuel.

I took a look at Healy Thomas Chapman's ancestry and it appears throughout multiple generations of his family. I still haven't discovered where the "Healy" first originated!
Knighton in Huntingdonshire and Northamptonshire
Tweedie in Lanarkshire and Co. Down
Rodgers in Durham and Co. Monaghan
McMillan in Lanarkshire and Argyllshire

Offline lancs-lassie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Wednesday 27 April 16 21:52 BST (UK) »
I have a "Servetus"! The name doesn't appear again or previously, as far as I can see. His brothers have the more usual names,  William, Henry etc.
Lancs-Lassie
Wormwell, Whitaker, Lancashire
Ellis, Flintshire
Stephens, Kent
Sherred, Devon/Kent

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Wednesday 27 April 16 21:59 BST (UK) »
One of my 3x great grandfather's (pictured in my avatar) many siblings was a Healy Thomas Knighton. I thought the name was unusual, and as I traced the family back a generation further, I discovered that their aunt Ruth Knighton had a son called Healy Thomas Cunnington.

But tracing back through further generations found no other instance of the name "Healy Thomas".

Healy Thomas Knighton had a son, Samuel Healy, who died in World War I but not before having a son Healy Raymond, and the name was passed down to the present day.

Later on I found Aunt Ruth in the 1851 Census as a young woman working in domestic service for a Healy Thomas Chapman. This solved the mystery of where the name came from! Mr. Chapman must have become a family friend for the name to be used not only by Ruth but by my 4x great grandfather Samuel.

I took a look at Healy Thomas Chapman's ancestry and it appears throughout multiple generations of his family. I still haven't discovered where the "Healy" first originated!

I touched on it on the first page of this thread, but I have the same issue with my 2x great grandfather, Luke Hogard Henry Pine. The name (or combination) seems to have appeared out of the blue, but has been passed down in various combinations through the generations. One possible line of thought is Luke's mother's family were non-conformists. Maybe someone known to the family in those circles?
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline bibliotaphist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Wednesday 27 April 16 22:23 BST (UK) »

I touched on it on the first page of this thread, but I have the same issue with my 2x great grandfather, Luke Hogard Henry Pine. The name (or combination) seems to have appeared out of the blue, but has been passed down in various combinations through the generations. One possible line of thought is Luke's mother's family were non-conformists. Maybe someone known to the family in those circles?

I have one of those - Baskerville Simms BOWDEN, my *cough*-times great uncle, who then had a son of the same name. All of Baskerville's siblings had 'normal' names. I don't have the details to hand but from memory I don't think I could find a birth reg. for Baskerville, unlike his brothers and sisters, and I had a suspicion he might have been named for his real or biological father...