Author Topic: "I haven't got any....." famous last words  (Read 1778 times)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
"I haven't got any....." famous last words
« on: Tuesday 05 January 16 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Over the years of research, I have made some statements from time to time which have come back to tease me.
Living in South Australia, and born and bred here, I always said that I didn't have any convict ancestors, as SA was the only free colony. I was probably a little disappointed, as the convict records always looked so interesting. That statement went out the window when with help from Rootschatters I broke down a brick wall to discover not one, but two convict ancestors as direct forebears. Both transported to Tasmania, and both ending up in SA when freed.
Similarly, I said to my wife that I didn't have any Irish ancestors to give me brickwalls as she did; nothing more than "Ireland" as clues to their origins. Same thing, not only one line proving to have Irish connections, but two! And yes, nothing more than "Ireland" as clues.
Perhaps I shouldn't make any more sweeping statements, and go into the brickmaking business instead!  ;D
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
Re: "I haven't got any....." famous last words
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 January 16 08:51 GMT (UK) »

When I started on the genealogy road I was certain that I would have the most boring tree imaginable. No skeletons, perhaps the odd brickwall.  I expected it to be a bit of a challenge as South African research tends to be.   :-\

What I didn't expect was two new cousins that I didn't know existed for my entire life until now, illegitimate births, skeletons rattling loudly to be let out and the possibility that my father had a brother he didn't know about..... ::) ::) ;D

So never say "I never..........."  genealogy will prove you wrong somewhere along the way, but that's what makes it so much fun and so addictive ;) ;D
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 January 16 09:26 GMT (UK) »
With my Irish forebears, at least I can have a drink on St Patrick's Day, and not feel a sham.  ;D
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 January 16 15:26 GMT (UK) »
I've had egg on my face from time to time after asserting "No, X can't be related, because..... (usually quoting a tree done decades ago, by one family member and transcribed by another) ..and then discovering that "THAT TREE" was incorrect - a whole family snatched from one sibling and attributed to another, which made me very puzzled trying to sort out the truth, as census records were so different.... And of course I started out saying "I haven't got any mysteries .. it's all on the tree here" - How wrong can one be?
"Oh yes I have"
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 January 16 15:51 GMT (UK) »
I always thought there must be no convicts in my family tree, and then found a ancestor sibling transported for maiming in 1837.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 January 16 22:59 GMT (UK) »
I had no idea I had an early settler to Otago NZ (c1866) - until I met a relative in Scotland, who gave me a family document about him.  He died at Kurow 1929.

My Mum was a McAughtrie, born Glasgow 1916. She came to Oamaru - Otago NZ with her family in 1926.  They later moved up to Wellington, but it looks like he may have the person they first came to.  I know they did go for holidays to Otago!

My early settler was Wm McAughtrie, Ag Lab., of Barr in Ayrshire, and according to the relationship calculator he was my first cousin 4 times removed.  An interesting man, came during the time of the Gold Rush, mined at Mount Ida, went onto farming and owned a lot of property around the Benmore Kurow area, where his descendants still farm today. 

That was just as exciting as finding a convict! 

Although --- I spoke not long ago to one of his direct descendants.  I hadn't been able to find William on a passenger list, and asked if he knew the name of the ship he came on.  He laughed, and said he didn't know, but "wouldn't have been surprised if he had been deported - he was a bad old
 b#gger!!  ;D

"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections