Author Topic: Family Clark  (Read 3987 times)

Offline lars1957

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Family Clark
« on: Wednesday 06 January 16 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I'm looking for information about my family in Scotland. y great grandfather came to denmark 1868, hi was born in Scotland ca. 1818 (Alexander Clark).
I do know that my family is owner of a monoment in Stoneyburn, and from that i got the information about Elizabeth Clark, Agnes Clark possibly sisters, and one of them was married to Alexander Dalziel
You are welcome to visit my webpage about my family http://www.altanoghave.dk/clark/gen.html

Lars Alexander Clark

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: Family Clark
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 January 16 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello Lars & welcome
I can see 2 Alexander Clarks born about that time in West Lothian ( Linlithgowshire).
They both appear up until the 1861 census then both disappear. They may have both died but it's possible one of them is yours.
Also I can see 2 Christenings:
Name   Alexander Clark
Christening Date   22 Nov 1817
Christening Place   BATHGATE, WEST LOTHIAN, SCOTLAND
Father's Name   Alexander Clark
Mother's Name   Lilias Scrimzier
&
Name   Alexander Clarke
Christening Date   20 Jan 1821
Christening Place   , BATHGATE, WEST LOTHIAN, SCOTLAND
Birth Date   10 Dec 1820
Father's Name   James Clarke
Mother's Name   Agnes Mccall
Bathgate is about 20Km. from Stoneyburn.
Do you have any other information which might be of use.?
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline lars1957

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 January 16 15:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks!
It maybe one of them, but i do not know if my great grand father came from stoneyburn, he was selling cows when he arrived to Denmark - and later he was teaching English in denmark Copenhagen.
I do know that when they in Stoneyburn wanted to move the monoment to another place they had to ask my father for permission and my fathers cousin in Brisbane Australia for permission (snellman)
unfortunately Alexander Clark is a very commend name in Scotland, so it is difficult to find him - I know when he died in Copenhagen and how old he was - then the calculation tell me that he is born around 1818 +/- 1 year

best regards

Lars A. Clark

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 January 16 17:57 GMT (UK) »
I've ruled out one of the Alexanders which leaves just this one
1851 census:
Alexander Clark   33
Lilias Scrimgeour   67
Wm Scrimgeour   65
George Clark   31
Lillias Clark   27
Mary Clark   25
James Clark   22
He's a farmer & property owner living in Bathgate with his mother & brothers & sisters, he's also unmarried.
In 1861 he's still in Bathgate & unmarried with 2 servants & listed just as a property owner.
He disappears after that.
One of the reasons I focused on this gent is that your GGrandfather was obviously educated if he taught English & must have had some type of income.
As you say Clark is a common name & he may not be from W. Lothian at all but he's the most likely candidate so far & is the first of the 2 Christenings I gave.
Can you tell us what the monument is about.
Is it a graveyard monument?
Is anyone named on it?
How old is it?
Correction:
Stoneyburn is about 6Km. from Bathgate not 20.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.

Offline lars1957

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 January 16 21:51 GMT (UK) »
hi
thanks for the new information, i will try to checked it with info i have from Danish arkive
It's a war memorial - here is a link to my webpage with information
http://www.altanoghave.dk/clark/scotland.htm

Another clue is that as far as i know my father got a Family three , from a solicitor in Edinburch (Robson mc Lean 28 Abercromby place) - but that was many years ago (my fathe died in 1978)

best regards
Lars A. Clark

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 January 16 02:09 GMT (UK) »
I'm afraid some of the information on the webpage regarding Alexander Dalziel is factually incorrect.

Before trying to find your Alexander Clark thought it best to try and figure out the 2 women referred to i.e. sisters Agnes and Elizabeth Clark as I was intrigued as to why they would have a different surname to Alexander Dalziel.

First of all, the 2 women weren't sisters (they were mother and daughter) and Agnes' maiden name was actually Waddell (or Waddel - spelling varies from document to document).

Stoneyburn House was originally the home of the Waddell family - Alexander Waddell and wife Elizabeth Greenhorn had just 2 daughters - Agnes b.4/9/1838 Whitburn and Jane b.30/9/1840 Whitburn.   

Agnes Waddell married Thomas Clark, a doctor, on 22/9/1865 Whitburn.

Jane Waddell married Alexander Dalziel in 1876 - they had no children - in 1881/1891 Jane is living at Stoneyburn House with her widowed mother and in 1901/1911 lived there with husband Alexander Dalziel.

Jane Dalziel (nee Waddell) died in 1922.   Alexander Dalziel did indeed die in England but your year is incorrect.   He died 13/8/1924 and his will was proved in Scotland on 17/9/1924 - address is given as Stoneyburn House, afterwards Hillside, Loudwater, Bucks. (his death entry shows this to be in the Wycombe, Buckinghamshire registration district).

So, after Alexander Dalziels' death the house became home to his sister in law Mrs. Agnes Clark (thus returning to her family home) and when she died there 22/2/1939 it passed to her unmarried daughter Elizabeth Clark b.12/5/1866 (shown as Bessie on early census records).    Elizabeth Clark died 6/1/1952 in Bangour Hospital, Broxburn - her usual address given as Stoneyburn House, Stoneyburn.

Having clarified all that I then looked at Agnes Waddel's husband Thomas Clark who had to be whom your Alexander Clark connected to.   Thomas and Agnes married 22/9/1865 Stoneyburn, Whitburn - his parents are shown as Alexander Clark, Landed Proprietor (deceased) and Lillias nee Scrimgeour  (deceased).

Thomas Clark was born 27/10/1822 Bathgate, parents Alexander Clark and Lillias Scrymgour.  Found baptisms for 3 siblings i.e. Alexander bp.22/11/1817 (mothers name spelt Scrimzier?), George b.24/2/1820, Lillias b.12/8/1823 plus census shows there were 3 more - Ann bc.1816, Mary bc.1826 and James bc.1829.  However, the 1841 census (when ages rounded down and only shows whether they were born in the county or not) shows Alexander Clark bc.1771 not born in West Lothian, Lillias bc.1791 not in West Lothian, dau. Ann bc.1816 not in West Lothian but all the children after were born in Bathgate where they were living.   1851 census shows Lillias now widowed and living with her is a brother William - this time it shows she was born ca.1784 Polmont, Stirling and her brother ca.1786.   Think that her ca.birthyear is incorrect in 1851 as found William Scrimgeour's baptism 23/9/1785 Polmont and her's as Lily b.4/8/1790, bp.11/8/1790 Polmont - their parents being a George Scrimgeour and Lily Black.   William died 2/7/1858 West Inch, Bathgate aged 76, and confirms his parents as George (farmer and gardener (dec'd) and Lillias nee Black (deceased) and the informant of his death was Alexander Clark, nephew i.e. your ancestor.

Unfortunately, cannot find where/when Alexander Clark and Lillias Scrimgeour married, nor the birth/baptism of eldest child Ann.   Nor do we know where Alexander was born ca.1771 (definitely in Scotland, but not in West Lothian according to 1841 census).

So, jim1 is correct and your Alexander Clark is indeed the one bp.22/11/1817 Bathgate, son of Alexander Clark and Lillias Scrimgeour.

Thank you for posting this - I have enjoyed looking into this family this evening.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lars1957

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 January 16 06:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the useful information

I very grateful for your information, i know from my father who died when is was 16 that there was a Doctor Thomas in the family, because my mother wanted me to have the name Thomas, but my sisters and brother wanted the name Lars - so that is my G..grandfather Thomas Clark.

best regards

Lars A. Clark

Offline lars1957

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 January 16 09:39 GMT (UK) »
I wrote it wrong Alexander Clark is my g.. grandfather and Thomas his brother

I'm very grateful for your help

I have 4 generation of Alexander Clark - then I have the name Lars Alexander Clark and my daughters have the names Daniela Alexandra Clark and Alexandra Fernanda Clark

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 08 January 16 12:57 GMT (UK) »
I'm pretty sure Lilias was a widow when she married Alexander Clark.
There's this marriage:
Name   Andrew Johnston
Spouse's Name   Lillias Scrymgeour
Event Date   29 Mar 1803
Event Place   Edinburgh Parish,Edinburgh,Midlothian,Scotland
Spouse's Father's Name   George Scrymgeour
There doesn't appear to be any children to this marriage.

Edit:
Can't see a Johnston/Clark marriage either however there is this one in Bathgate 1816 from IGI:
Name   Alexander Clark
Event Date   1816
Event Place   Bathgate,West Lothian,Scotland
No wife's/father's name unfortunately.It may be unreadable.
ScotlandsPeople has it on the 1/1/1816 Bathgate but I don't have a subscription.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.