Author Topic: Audio/Video Interviewing Family Member  (Read 987 times)

Offline Di-Lo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Audio/Video Interviewing Family Member
« on: Wednesday 06 January 16 18:20 GMT (UK) »
I'm curious if anyone has any hands-on experience or tips in casually interviewing an important and genetically close elderly family member(s). One of whom is an extremely valuable resource with a sharp memory and who is a very willing participant (themselves realizing the importance of genealogy). I prefer the words 'Chatting casually' over the term 'Interview', but hopefully you get my drift.

With Genealogy research in the hard copy sense,  we've both shared and have experienced these paper trail journeys together, but this personal chat will be focused on parents, immigrant grandparents, childhood memories, homes lived in, schools attended, memories of the place we live, etc.

Now, on the technology side.

I own an iPhone and an iPad, both newer and unfortunately both 16gb, which can still leave me short of memory,  a lower level SX-45 Sony Handycam Video recorder (memory card capable), a laptop, and a Canon s-110 camera with audio/video capability. If I had to choose one or both, I believe audio is most important for something like this. I'm not that great with technology so prefer to stay with the simplest method for my own sanity.

Would a digital voice recorder (around $60 - $100 Cdn.) maybe be an investment purchase for such a venture? If not, would an external microphone be of value for the other devices? I'm not familiar with audio options all that much. I can't break the bank right now with fancy equipment. It certainly won't be a Hollywood blockbuster.

I'll do this once with an ongoing series of casual chats, and I'd like to get things somewhat right.

I'd appreciate having some input from any kind person who has done this before on every day type electronic devices from a simple point of view.

The recorded voice is so much different than a paper trail. In the dinosaur age, I once recorded our children when small with a cassette tape recorder. That one remnant of a cassette tape has remained a valuable little gem within the family. I'd really like to do this for the next generation while I and my elder family members have this opportunity.

Any and all replies are very much appreciated.
MAHONY/MAHONEY - Mitchelstown, Cork, Ireland  [Kilbehenny, Limerick, Ireland] Bristol, UK
CRONIN - Bristol, UK
LEWIS/LUCY/LUCE - Cork, Ireland, Bristol, UK
MADDEN - Cork, Ireland, Bristol, UK
LOGAN/PERCY FAMILIES - Glanton, Newcastle, UK and Ireland
OSGOOD - Bristol, UK
HARDING - Bristol, UK

Offline Roger The Hat

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Audio/Video Interviewing Family Member
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 January 16 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Di-Lo,

I've done a bit of recording in the past, but for this I'd be tempted to take the simplest option.
I'd use a budget mic', and record onto the laptop using free software such as Audacity.
http://www.audacityteam.org/
Fairly simple to set up and use, and minimal outlay.
Good luck.
 ;)

Offline Di-Lo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 January 16 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much, Roger The Hat for your response. Excuse my inept computer knowledge, but afterward, will I be able to burn it onto a CD/DVD afterward?
MAHONY/MAHONEY - Mitchelstown, Cork, Ireland  [Kilbehenny, Limerick, Ireland] Bristol, UK
CRONIN - Bristol, UK
OSGOOD - Bristol, UK
HARDING - Bristol, UK

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 January 16 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Di-Lo

I bought this a few years ago.  I haven't used it much, but it seems pretty good.  I've put  digital copies of my recordings onto my computer.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006YBA054?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00

Offline Di-Lo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 January 16 03:29 GMT (UK) »
Thank you as well, California Dreamin. Now I have to figure out how best to figure out my upcoming audio interview. I'll check this option out as well.  :)
CRONIN - Bristol, UK
OSGOOD - Bristol, UK
HARDING - Bristol, UK

Offline Roger The Hat

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 January 16 10:18 GMT (UK) »
will I be able to burn it onto a CD/DVD afterward?

Absolutely.
Audacity gives you the option to export audio files in different formats, in the file menu.
 ;)

Offline Di-Lo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 January 16 03:32 GMT (UK) »
Information much appreciated!
CRONIN - Bristol, UK
OSGOOD - Bristol, UK
HARDING - Bristol, UK

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 January 16 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Di-Lo,

I would suggest doing both: set up your video camera and do a separate audio recording. It would be an ideal back-up in case one of the methods should fail during the interview.

If you use video, make sure you use a tripod for the camera (they can be rented from camera stores). Do it in a quiet room (I'm assuming you don't also have a directional mic or a mic you can clip to your relative's shirt -- but you might be able to rent mics from a camera store).

You can also record audio on your iPhone.

If you buy an audio recorder, make sure you can upload the files directly to your computer.

I use a Sony digital recorder for audio and it's great but I can't upload the files directly to my Mac: my husband has to upload them to his Windows simulation (or something like that) and then he burns the CDs for me.

Make sure you have extra batteries and memory cards on hand, just in case. If you're doing it away from your own home, bring your camera and phone chargers.

Also, if you're doing video, pay attention to the visuals of where your subject will be seated. Before you start, take a photo and really look at it, to see if there is too much clutter in the space, or if a plant will look like it's growing out of your subject's head, or if a lamp will cast a shadow on his or her face. Make sure your subject's hair or tie isn't out of place, there are no revealing gaps in his/her shirt, no bra strap or whatever showing, and there is no embarrassing dandruff or nose hair visible. Don't have him/her sitting with his/her back to a bright window or his/her face will be in shadow. Etcetera. Take a bit of a test video and check again before starting for real. A few minutes of fuss will be worth it in the end.

Best regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline Di-Lo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 08 January 16 18:10 GMT (UK) »
There has been some very good advice here. I quite like the idea of combining the 2 methods of audio/video to cover my bases, Josephine and appreciate all of your extra tips in terms of seating, lighting, test shots, etc. If I do entertain the option of an audio recorder (which I can use for other business purposes), I'll be sure to research the capabilities before purchasing.

I have a few avenues to ponder!
CRONIN - Bristol, UK
OSGOOD - Bristol, UK
HARDING - Bristol, UK