Author Topic: Getting confused over Liverpool Road/Street, Auckland - Can you help?  (Read 17165 times)

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Getting confused over Liverpool Road/Street, Auckland - Can you help?
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday 27 January 16 15:17 GMT (UK) »
Janette

Just to let you know that I contacted the lady whose web link you gave me and wow, has she come up with the goods!

She found the sale of land record which showed Walter England buying plot no. 25.  He bought it in 1930.  There is also a register of all the people who have bought this piece of land over the years.  She told me that the current number is 25 Tahi Terrace.

So I trotted over to Google maps to try and locate no 25 Tahi Terrace.  I am looking at a house but not sure if it is no 25.  It has brown fencing with spaces, a black railing type gate, white lower half which includes the garage door, pale brick top half and a lean to on the right hand side.  Quite a bit of greenery on either side.  There is no obvious number displayed to verify that I am looking at no. 25.

Can anyone verify if I am looking at no. 25?  Thank you.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday 27 January 16 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to throw a spanner in the works, but there is a small problem here Girl Guide........

The plot (?) or Lot numbers were allocated by the Land Transfer (surveying) system and the street numbers by the local council. It is unlikely that the Lot and street number would be the same.

Minniehaha.
HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday 27 January 16 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Okay Minnie, fair enough.

Hopefully you can see the plot map with 25 near the end by the bend.  Where would you say that was in the current Tahi Terrace?  To the left of the map is Croyden Road.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 27 January 16 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to throw a spanner in the works, but there is a small problem here Girl Guide........

The plot (?) or Lot numbers were allocated by the Land Transfer (surveying) system and the street numbers by the local council. It is unlikely that the Lot and street number would be the same.

Minniehaha.

I agree Minnie,our numbering is odds one side and even the other side as Alan mentioned earlier in the thread

Cheers Janette

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday 27 January 16 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Alan has said number 30 is on lot 21 and number 32 on lot 22

Cheers Janette

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday 27 January 16 20:10 GMT (UK) »
If it is 25 you are looking for this it is,the number is on the letterbox

Cheers Janette

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday 27 January 16 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello again regulars.

Thanks ladies for your help. As it turns out I do have a distant link, by marriage, to the SHAW family of Oratia and the Mary SHAW who was interviewed. As in her interview she states that she was the only daughter in a large family of boys, I'm not certain just where Lucy Alice SHAW fits in, but when I became aware that Lucy married into the subject family [ENGLAND] of this thread, I got very involved digging out my old West Auckland research notes, and trying to find a greater selection of old survey plans etc.

From the research done it is obvious that street [postal] numbers were not considered important enough to include in newspaper classified adverts [B D & M] street directories, and though I have not looked, am assuming from the previous posts, voting rolls pre WWII.

What we did find were references to the survey lot / allotment numbers. Then when I did the door knocking the one lady referred to her street  [postal] number, as one or two numbers away from that which a Google search photo shows to be her home. When I blew the Google image up the number on the letterbox matched Google's street address search hit. This lady did say she had lived in the street from the 1960's but had lived in several homes. As upwards of three homes now stand on each of those 1927 allotments, I don't yet know how that has impacted on the street numbering of properties, nor if those 1927 titles were further sub-divided or were cross leased. Though most of the houses look older, than when the system of cross leasing was introduced of private homes and their land. The lady did say the back of some titles were realigned under the Public Works Act when the railway was lowered in the late 1930's, and in her case one small parcel of former railways land was given in return on a separate title not conjoined. All adding to the development of the neighbouring properties.

This added to the fact that it was often late at night that I was posting to this thread even my work is [and has to be] open to peer review.

Tonight I will try to find time to review my posts on this thread to make sure I have not added to the confusion with typo's.

- Alan.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday 27 January 16 20:32 GMT (UK) »
As I see it, the only way to be really sure and to settle the matter once and for all, is to request an historical search of the Certificate of Title relating to the Lot you are interested in. This would track the ownership from day one until now. Having the name of the current owner would lead to confirmation of the street number.

I note that the person from whom I think you obtained the plan, has a licence to download the C.T. from Land Information New Zealand. [LINZ].

There would most likely be a charge involved.

It is also a document you might like to have for your records.  :)

Minniehaha.

HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday 27 January 16 20:44 GMT (UK) »
OOP's Apologies Girl Guide.

Just me in a hurry, as per usual jumping in, without reading back a couple of thread posts.

I did not get to see the lady I believe would have given you that material as I left her phone number at home.

If readers refer back to my post #31 the full survey plan can be seen and on it ALLOTMENT 25 is on the right heading from Croydon Street [? Rd.] then Rua Road now, towards the end of the then no exit street. Third section from the bend. [Facing EAST, the railway and todays Kelston Shops]

Not sure if I photographed that house myself, and the street postal number will be an ODD number but may not be 25, but will not be far away as I did photograph several houses opposite.

Try GOOGLING close ODD street numbers until you can clearly see the corner property frontage and then work back two more titles. Late for an appointment so must be off,

Alan.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.