Author Topic: James Hogg (c1811 - c1844) & Ann Hogg (m/s Robinson) c1818 - c1887) Gateshead  (Read 10345 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: James Hogg (c1811 - c1844) & Ann Hogg (m/s Robinson) c1818 - c1887) Gateshead
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 13 January 16 20:15 GMT (UK) »
William, you know Annie and me of old  ;) Scottish research is our stomping ground. Great to have you and JenB on board with your experience on records for Durham  :)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: James Hogg (c1811 - c1844) & Ann Hogg (m/s Robinson) c1818 - c1887) Gateshead
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 13 January 16 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Some newspaper articles :

Aberdeen Journal, July 6 1836.

"JAMES HOGG. CLOTHIER, HATTER, and SILK  MERCER.
Granite House, Market Square, Stonehaven.

Grateful for the very liberal patronage he continues to receive, most respectfully invites the attention of his friends and the public to his present stock of his SUPERFINE BROAD AND NARROW WOOLEN CLOTHS, CASSIMERES AND WAIST COATINGS, which are all bought at the best Markets, and he is determined to sell them at prices considerably lower than ever they were offered in Stonehaven.
Upwards of 20 dozen of WATERPROOF, STUFF, AND BEAVER HATS, from the most celebrated London Makers. A large lot of WATERPROOF SILK HATS, from 2s 10d.
An excellent assortment of FILLED SILK SHAWLS, plain and coloured GROS DE NAPLES ; PRINTS, MERINOS, RIBBONS, GLOVES ; TUSCAN, DUNSTABLE and BRIGHT STRAW BONNETS ; with every other article connected with the Trade at extremely low prices."

Then some Bankruptcy notices in English newspapers in October 1841, all under the heading of Scotch Sequestrations :

London Morning Post, Oct 16th 1841.  "James Hogg, Stonehaven, Merchant, Oct 21 and Nov 18 at 12, within the writing chambers of Mr Kinnear, writer,  Stonehaven."

Same details in the London Standard and The Era on Oct 16th and 17th.

Manchester Times, and also in the Sheffield and Rotherham Independant. Oct 23 1841.  Same details except James is described as a Clothier, hearings held at the writing chambers of Arthur Wellesley Kinnear in Stonehaven.

National Records of Scotland website has indexes of Scottish bankrupts. Actual papers are available to view in Edinburgh.

CS280/18/7 James Hogg, Stonehaven, Kincardineshire. Merchant, Clothier, Silk Mercer. Start date: 11/10/1841, Disposal date: 19/09/1843, Disposal notes: Discharged.

I think that means he was declared bankrupt 11/10/1841 and the bankruptcy was cleared 19/09/1843.

Alan.
Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 13 January 16 21:42 GMT (UK) »
Alan, great info  :) With your leads, mention here in 1837 with the key word of clothier  http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/nescotland/articles/stonhiv3.htm
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 13 January 16 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Re John Hogg  a search on Durham Records Online shows a record  in their cemetery records for a John Hogg born 1837 died 1870 address 131 High Street. Family search has burial25 Jan 1870 - also has burial for Ann Talintyre 26 Jan 1874.

Durham records online gives death of Annie Robinson Hogg in 1867 address 26 Wylam Street.(very useful site for co. Durham records, ladies).

William

William,

That looks to be my John (High St).....clue

Can you tell me the age of Annie Robinson Hogg at death (if it's there)?
John's dau (who I believe) b 1863 so would be 4 yrs old in 1867.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 13 January 16 22:24 GMT (UK) »
William, you know Annie and me of old  ;) Scottish research is our stomping ground. Great to have you and JenB on board with your experience on records for Durham  :)

Monica

For sure Monica,

I have Durham & Newcastle connections but yes it's great to have Jen & William on board as I don't have a "satnav" on my comp & my geo isn't great  ;D

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 13 January 16 22:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Alan,

Very interesting indeed!

This virtually confirms things further although again (highly circumstantial) without further evidence of parents names etc. on marriage.

I had a feeling there would be something in the papers but not this so that's great.

So he must have died aft Sep 1843.

Pity an Obit hasn't surfaced  :-[

Annie

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 13 January 16 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Can you tell me the age of Annie Robinson Hogg at death (if it's there)?
John's dau (who I believe) b 1863 so would be 4 yrs old in 1867

Although you must buy credits to see the full entry,  the age at death should be shown on the free index search so why not give it a try yourself? It's an excellent site and well worth acquainting yourself with it. New records are being added all the time
http://www.durhamrecordsonline.com/index.php
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 13 January 16 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Alan, great info  :) With your leads, mention here in 1837 with the key word of clothier  http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/nescotland/articles/stonhiv3.htm

Monica,

This is great from all.

I now have another address prior to Market Sq. too (on 1841 census)

I'm glad the research I've done has been correct as this is a big bonus on what I had with having to "piece" everything together without finding baptisms for sons John & David.

I now feel more secure with everything although as said previously "circumstantial"  ;D

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 13 January 16 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Although you must buy credits to see the full entry,  the age at death should be shown on the free index search so why not give it a try yourself? It's an excellent site and well worth acquainting yourself with it. New records are being added all the time
http://www.durhamrecordsonline.com/index.php

Thanks Jen,

Was on the phone & reading at same time & didn't realise it was the same site  ::)

This seems the same Annie Robinson Hogg b 12 Mar 1863 as it has b abt 1864.

Annie