Author Topic: Queens County?  (Read 3677 times)

Offline CatOne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Queens County?
« on: Saturday 16 July 05 13:05 BST (UK) »
I've just found an Irish ancestor and I think on the census page (1861 RG9/2576 Folio 146 Page 4) it reads Ireland Queens County. I see on the Rootschat page for Ireland theres a "Laois (Queens)". On the 1871 census her place of birth says Ireland Castletown. I've found a Castletown, Laois on autoroute, so i'm assuming this is the right place.

How do I go about finding her marriage? Cant find one in England. Its for a Margaret Brophey to a William Carter.

Also, if anyone can find this couple on the earlier censuses (Ireland/Cheshire/Ashton U Lyne), I would be most grateful for any info, as am into unknown territory searching Ireland, is it possible to do lookups for 1841/51 for Castletown, Laois? And can anyone point me in the right direction to find her birth in the parish records?

Thankyou
Catherine  :)
Dunning/Downing, Osborn/e, Astley -Cheshire/Birmingham/Middlesex
Fanthorpe/Hall/Driffill/Storm - Lincolnshire
Bower/Woodward/Bingham/Pettinger/Shaw - Nottinghamshire
Shaw, Marland - Lancashire
Broph(e)y - Queens County, Ireland
Richards - Neath Swansea
Hunt/Fox - Lincs, Waterfield/Middleton - Staffs
Hart/Harland/Askew/Scales - Yorkshire
Brereton/Vickers - Cheshire
Gleaves/Sandford/Hulse/Hulme - Wolstanton/Audley Staffs
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Queens County?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 July 05 13:10 BST (UK) »
is this what you are looking for

CARTER, William         Marriage
   Wife:   Margaret BROPHY      
   Marriage Date:   5 Dec 1836   Recorded in:   Prestbury, Cheshire, England

audrey

Offline CatOne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 July 05 13:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks Audrey, pre 1837 so that explains why couldnt find it!!! How can I get further details, parents names etc?

Regards,
Catherine
Richards - Neath Swansea

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 July 05 13:28 BST (UK) »
there were no further details given

audrey

Offline anne elizabeth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 September 05 17:06 BST (UK) »
Dear Catherine

Castletown R.C parish records didnt start until 1840, I am currently researching a   Brophy connection in the same area my ggrandfather James, he had a daughter Margaret so there may be a slim connection.  They had the habit of naming children after other members of the family.  I'll keep you in mind!
The is no easy way to do a look-up, without going to the National Library, Dublin. Involving Family History Centre, Tullamore for a fee, or going the co-operation of the local priest.

Regards Anne

Brophy, Bergin, Hogan, O'Brien, Lalor, Hughes, Clear, Peters, Bastick  all of Queens County Ireland

Offline CatOne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 September 05 20:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply. What time period is your ggrandfather James from? Would be nice to find a connection.....

Regards,
Catherine  :)
Richards - Neath Swansea

Offline anne elizabeth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 September 05 20:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Catherine
My ggrandfather had the first of his 12 Childen in May 1874, so I'm assuming that he was about 25 at the time, his poor wife was having babies over a 21year period. all the births are recorded at Castletown RC parish, I'm waiting for the parish priest the look at the Camross parish register to find a record of the marriage (Camross is ggrandmother Sarah Bergin's home parish) to get an idea of his age etc. and to narrow down the townland he came from. Brophy is a name local to the area.
Very nice to hear from you
Anne
ps you are my very first contact on this site :D
Brophy, Bergin, Hogan, O'Brien, Lalor, Hughes, Clear, Peters, Bastick  all of Queens County Ireland

Offline CatOne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 September 05 21:22 BST (UK) »
Likewise....... do you know the origins of the name? Was Castletown a small village in the 1800s do you know? (ie; is it very likely our Bropheys are connected?)

Her childrens names include George Noah, Hannah, Isaac, Lavinia, Louisa, Margaret Jane and William. Do these names crop up in your ggrandfathers tree? (my Margaret was born c.1816 in Castletown)

Regards,
Catherine
ps. if the records didn't start until 1840, how did they record marriages, etc?? does that mean I've hit a brick wall with this lady? dont think my husband would appreciate a holiday in the records offices in Ireland, unfortunately he doesnt share my enthusiasm for family history!  :) do they do lookups for a charge like the records offices in England?
Richards - Neath Swansea

Offline anne elizabeth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 09 September 05 22:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Catherine
Origins of the name, I assume that you mean Brophy!
Ua Broithe Gaelic Sept in Osraighe (12th Century) of Mag Sedna, like many Gaelic names it was anglicized to O'Brophy, Brophy or Brophey, so roughly speaking Brophy is a clan name from around the Laois/ Kilkenny border. Ballybrophy would have been where the clan chief settled.  Ballybrophy is south of Borris-in-Ossory (N7 Dublin to Limerick Road) SW of Castletown.
Castletown is a very pretty village that has won Tidy Town awards (a bit ike Britain in Bloom). The castle is a ruin once owned by the Macgillycuddypatrick's (later ordered by James 1 to change their name to Fitzpatrick) some sort of princes, whom the Brophy's came under.
Castletown is quite a large parish (Offerlane Civil Parish) in that there asre many townlands ie a few fields given a name (doesn't even have to have a dwelling on it) or it can be several farms. (Townlands can only be seen on Ordnance Survey maps)
In the 1850 Griffiths Valuations there are
3 Brophy heads around Castletown Roger Richard and Mary'
further afield in the parish Martin, Andrew, Patrick, William Joseph,George, Edward, Thomas Timothy and Patrick, Michael and 2 Mary's 16 tenants in all that doesn't count any sublets (though the famine probably sorted that out).
The Catholic church was forbidden to keep records1695-1728 catholics lost civil rights and it took years to get them back
In 1829 Catholics were allowed to practise their faith without persecution many of the records started then. It looks like your Margaret could be your brickwall.
President Kennedy could only go back to 1840!!!!!!!!

Irish naming pattern The first son named after the Father's father the second son was usually named fter the Mother's Father  The first daughter after the Mother's mother.2nd daughter after the father's mother, then they go onto fathers names eldest sister etc. Your Margaret could be my James Elder sister
 The FHC will do searches for a fee, but your records go back further than their's.

It's my belief that all Brophy's are related DNA wise, just cant prove it.

I hope this help's, passed an evening away

Go to Ireland anyway, it's so different

All the best Anne