Author Topic: Duplicate or connected posts  (Read 11076 times)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
Re: Duplicate or connected posts
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 10 January 16 21:47 GMT (UK) »
True, Mike. I have seen several threads where the OP has said they hadn't been aware of replies. Is there an option for email replies? Or perhaps they don't check their emails often?
What I was referring to though is when they do reply, and either ignore what someone has posted, or dismiss the information found as "incorrect". There is one Rootschatter that unfortunately I won't assist anymore, as she wouldn't accept the things found, as they didn't fit in with her "theory". But that's only one, everyone else, I give them another go.  ;D
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 10 January 16 21:49 GMT (UK) »
I would hope that people don't just take what they are given as gospel truth, but also check it themselves. However, the beauty of a forum such as RC is that when several people come to the same conclusion it is more likely to be right - far more than just copying from an online tree.  ;D ;D

On the other hand, if those  several people coming to the same conclusion are actually all using the same source as each other then it stands to reason that we would come to the same conclusion as each other.   

There's of course plenty of online documents to look for from our armchairs, so perhaps it is simply needed for each of us to be striving to find the difference between searching and researching.   

We can all find online indexes, and online secondary sources, and thereby each of us can easily be coming to the same conclusion as each other.   

Cheers,  JM

True JM, but the more experienced Rootschatters can often spot a possible link that might not seem obvious to the OP of that thread.

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 10 January 16 21:56 GMT (UK) »
True, Mike. I have seen several threads where the OP has said they hadn't been aware of replies. Is there an option for email replies? Or perhaps they don't check their emails often?
What I was referring to though is when they do reply, and either ignore what someone has posted, or dismiss the information found as "incorrect". There is one Rootschatter that unfortunately I won't assist anymore, as she wouldn't accept the things found, as they didn't fit in with her "theory". But that's only one, everyone else, I give them another go.  ;D

Only one.,  I have quite a list :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 10 January 16 22:06 GMT (UK) »

Pine,  there's two RChatters that I no longer try to help.   It saddens me that I am not prepared to help them, as they do ask for help, but when help is given which contradicts their theory, they send rude and 'illogical' PMs.... you know, I still do not understand why they feel the need to send such PMs which in fact are full of silly statements contradicting themselves, tripping up with chronology etc trying to tell me more about their ancestors in the hope that somehow I will become convinced that I am wrong .... not my ancestors so why do they think they need to 'convert' me or prove to me that I am wrong...  Surely they can simply ignore me rather than be rude.    So, yes, 'I have thick skin' and I use the RChat option and 'block' these two ...

But I am diverting off topic ....   To me, it is a question of how to get the OP to 'think' for themselves instead of perhaps expecting us RChatters to do their thinking for them.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 10 January 16 22:07 GMT (UK) »
PineFamily

You want to see my PM ignore list  ;D

In my view, it is not up to us Rootschatters to provide answers, only potential answers.
Some "answers" may be spot on, it is not up to me(us?) to decide that.

Even if I find something irrelevant, but "close", then I post "it" (as notes).
Even if the OP dis-regard it.
"It" may provide a link, not only to the current OP but to other "OP"'s

I am astounded when OP criticises when RC's either
give info not requested (but fits initial, badly-worded requests)
or the response does not fit info not divulged.

Anyone got a ladder to help me get back on my soapbox

R

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 10 January 16 22:09 GMT (UK) »
That's it Ray,  I am here to hold your ladder for you.  :)

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 10 January 16 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Cheers JM

I'm halfway up, or is it halfway down  ( the stairs ) ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBsT84lwcC4

R

::)
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 10 January 16 22:27 GMT (UK) »
It seems that all of the Rootschatters who posted on here are on the same page (both in spirit and literally  ;D).
Is there only room for one at a time on that soapbox, Ray?

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 10 January 16 22:31 GMT (UK) »
The one thing that comes over from all these replies is that we all share the same frustration of wasted time spent on duplicate posts or ungrateful/sceptical posters.

So - what's the solution?  I personally do not have the technical expertise to pass an opinion on the viability of checks before posting or pop up messages etc so I think we all owe Trystan and Sarah the courtesy of inviting their input

Has anybody already drawn their attention to this post?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)