Author Topic: Joseph and Martha Wyatt from Glossop arrived Queensland 1863/4  (Read 7051 times)

Offline Lazarus

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph and Martha Wyatt from Glossop arrived Queensland 1863/4
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 17 February 16 07:45 GMT (UK) »
No Neil . No knowledge of him.
Joseph and Martha lost a child Sarah Ellen Wyatt in 1866.
My Joseph Wyatt died Victoria many years later.

Thanks
Rex
Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.

Offline Briar Rosie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 01 May 16 04:31 BST (UK) »
Martha and Joseph Wyatt had a daughter, also called Ellen, born 1870 Bombala NSW (ref. 7343). Ellen married Benjamin Francis Whitaker in Richmond, Victoria in 1895. Soon after they must have moved to Buchan, Victoria as a son was born there in 1897. So, were they the Wyatt husband and wife on the 'Nile' sailing direct from Queensland to Melbourne in 1868?

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 01 May 16 05:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you Briar Rosie
This is valuable information.
Ellen ( nee Wyatt ) was a sister of my maternal grandfather.
I was unaware that she was born Bombala NSW , assuming she was born Buchan Victoria.
I met Ben Whitaker in Buchan when I was a boy.I hadn't connected them to Richmond Victoria.
I have a marriage record for them Buchan Victoria 25 Jan 1895 #916.
I know that she was working in the Buchan Post Office 1895. Her brother Joseph was proprietor of Riverview House. The Post Office must have been located there.
I am satisfied that Joseph & Ellen travelled Brisbane to Hobson's Bay on the Nile.
They had married 1863 Glossop Derbyshire immediately prior to their departure to Australia.

It came as a surprise when finally seeing the passenger list for "Sunda " that John Wyatt brother of Joseph also travelled to Brisbane with them.
So far as I can see he did not come to Victoria. I did find him on Queensland Electoral Rolls 1864-1867 but not later.

Do you have any further knowledge of this family?

With thanks

Rex
Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 01 May 16 06:11 BST (UK) »
This looks like your John WYATT

From TROVE Obit, 19 October 1911

John WYATT, postmaster, died 1911, Buchan, aged 69
    born Derbyshire
    • arr Victoria '43 years ago' (abt 1868),
      5 children, wife died abt 18 years previously (abt 1893)
      buried Buchan

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/91129087

There are a couple of other mentions for WYATT, Buchan but I'm not 100% sure that they are your family.

Death of Thomas WYATT, died 3 July 1911, having been in the district for 34 years; leaves a wife but no children.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/91130061

So it seems that John WYATT arrived in Buchan at about the same time as Thomas,

Almost poisoned with strychnine - J C WYATT and G H WYATT.  As John WYATT (death obit above) was connected with the Post Office at Buchan it seems posible that this is him
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/197127273

Judith[/list]
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 01 May 16 07:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you judb
Unless I am mistaken , the death 17 Oct 1911 from Trove , despite naming him as John Wyatt , was in fact my ggrandfather Joseph Wyatt.
My initial excitement in thinking you had found John Wyatt has wained.
Mrs Wyatt ( Martha) died 1893.
They are both buried Buchan.
Joseph and Martha had nine children.

The Thomas Wyatt referred to was another brother of Joseph ( 1845-1911 ).
His wife was Sarah Jane ( Stone) 1855-1930.
They had two children , one adopted , one fostered.

J C Wyatt ( 1871-1944 ) my grandfather and G H Wyatt 1878-1937 were brothers and sons of
Joseph and Martha.The cited poison incident does refer to them.

Thanks for great work but unfortunately doesn't solve the mystery of the missing John Wyatt.
No evidence of him coming to Victoria.

Rex

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 01 May 16 08:28 BST (UK) »
Hello Briar Rose
I am concluding that Joseph , Ellen and family must have spent time in Southern NSW before making home in Buchan Victoria.
Assuming Ellen "Nellie" Wyatt was born 1870 Bombala NSW this must tally with her brother Joseph Henry Wyatt who I have recorded as born 3 Sep 1869 Monaro.
I think Monaro is a region in Southern NSW which includes Bombala.
Their next child John Charles Wyatt ( my grandfather ) was born Sandhurst ( Bendigo) Dec 1871.
It follows that they must have moved around before settling in Buchan Victoria. ie between 1868 and 1871.

Whilst in the same general area Bombala and Buchan are in adjoining states.

With thanks

Rex

Offline Briar Rosie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 01 May 16 08:38 BST (UK) »
Sorry Rex, I have no other useful information on the Wyatt family. Ellen was peripheral to other research I was doing and I thought her birth details might help your search.

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 01 May 16 09:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks for trying Briar Rosie.
You have alerted me to daughter Ellen having been born Bombala which I understand is in Monaro a region in Southern NSW , not too distant from Buchan in Victoria where they finally settled. A son Joseph Henry Wyatt was also born Monaro.
They must have spent a few years there.
I will try to find them there.

Rex

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 01 May 16 12:23 BST (UK) »

Hi,
A little bit more info.

1888, Victorian PO Directory (Wise).
Wyatt, Jos & Thomas, farmers, Buchan.

From the Victorian Government Gazette
Joseph Wyatt won a contract to convey the inland mail from 16th November 1890 until 30th June 1891 at the rate of 158 pound per annum, to and from Buchan and Wulgulmerang via Murrindale, W. Tree, Butcher's Ridge and Gelantipy,two days per week.

Gerry