Author Topic: Is Killmallock in Northern Irealnd as a county or Parish for birth record verifi  (Read 1304 times)

Offline Jmama

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello, I am a bit confused as to the birth record of a relative whom on a passenger list says he is born in Belfast Co. and a birth record in Ireland that show Killmallock, Ireland in 1920. His Social Security record shows that he is born in Scotland. Can someone verify his birth status for me as I cannot rely on the internet for an answer.

Ireland, Civil Registration Births Index, 1864-1958
VIEW RECORD
Name   Thomas Pitman
Date of Registration   1920 - Oct-Nov-Dec[1920]
Registration district   Kilmallock
Volume   5
Page   233
FHL Film Number   101078

Much appreciated,
Jmama

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Is Killmallock in Northern Irealnd as a county or Parish for birth record verifi
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 January 16 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Kilmallock registration district is in Co. Limerick so not near Belfast. Put Kilmallock (just 1 l) in as the Poor Law Union-
http://www.thecore.com/seanruad/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Is Killmallock in Northern Irealnd as a county or Parish for birth record verifi
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 January 16 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Registation Districts of Ireland.
http://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.com/Ireland-civil-registration.html

Kilmallock covers parts of Cork and Limerick so not likely to be your man.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 January 16 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I am a bit confused as to the birth record of a relative whom on a passenger list says he is born in Belfast Co. and a birth record in Ireland that show Killmallock, Ireland in 1920. His Social Security record shows that he is born in Scotland. Can someone verify his birth status for me as I cannot rely on the internet for an answer.

Have you searched for a likely birth in Scotland then?

Offline Jmama

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Is Killmallock in Northern Ire as a county or Parish for birth record verifi
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 January 16 19:03 GMT (UK) »
No I haven't searched Scotland yet. The Canadian passenger list was filled out by their mother who indicated Belfast Co. for her eldest two boys. I had only found the one in Kilmallock.

Thanks to everyone who gave input to assist me.

Jmama!

Offline Nailer1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 January 16 19:31 GMT (UK) »
As his Social Security registration shows him as Scottish,  have you considered Kilmarnock in Scotland as a possibility.  To the stranger,  Kilmallock and Kilmarnock sound very similar.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 January 16 22:24 GMT (UK) »
I think you might have gotten things very muddles here so will try to explain clearly what I think has happened.

The Social Security record says born 17 Sept.1919 Glasgow and died 4 July 1995, parents Thomas Henry Pitman & Maisie M. Lynas. The information from Thomas' file would have originated in forms he filled out (and perhaps had to submit evidence for) so is likely accurate.
The 1920 Irish birth registration is a different person (birth registered too late to be Thomas born 1919).
The passenger manifest (1928) shows Thomas (age 8 ) and 3 younger siblings traveling to Quebec with their mother Maisie. It doesn't given their place of birth but asks for last U.K. residence- 65 Lindsay St., Belfast.
It's possible some of the children were born in Belfast but Northern Ireland births less than 100 years old cannot be looked up online.

Added- 1932 Belfast directory shows a David Lynass (labourer) at 65 Lindsay St.. Likely a relative of Maisie's
http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/Lcomplete1932_b.htm

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 11 January 16 22:36 GMT (UK) »
Maisie Lynas (daughter of David) married Thomas Pitman (son of Thomas) 15 Jan.1919 Belfast district.