Author Topic: St Pauls (Stanley Home) Norwich  (Read 1874 times)

Offline Linda_J

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
St Pauls (Stanley Home) Norwich
« on: Saturday 16 July 05 13:57 BST (UK) »
Hi

In 1881 the census shows a rellie as a border at the St Pauls (Stanley Home) in Norwich. The head of the institution is a Matron (hosp).

I wonder if any one can shed some light on what kind of home this was. Is it a church run school or hospital?

Linda
Dove - Maidstone Kent
Ralph - Relf - Cranbrook Kent
Cottrell - Barcombe Sussex
Ecclestone - Norfolk and Suffolk
Gooch - Norfolk
Burgess - Sussex and Hampshire
Stanton - Breconshire
Other names; French, Beale, Higgins, Measday (all Kent)

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline David Culley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: St Pauls (Stanley Home) Norwich
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 July 05 10:42 BST (UK) »
Hi,
On my 1885 map, Stanley House is marked, on the west side of Back Lane, a northerly extension of Peacock Street later  incorporated in Peacock St. It says Stanley House (girls). Girls in italics. I  think this suggests "wayward girls" and your matron would go someway to confirm this. By 1927 Stanley House is at 68 Peacock St., the property of George Tate, a remote relation of mine who was into cheap property purchasing, soft fruit growing and jam making ...as if you needed to know! My guess is Stanley House would have been demolished in the late 1930's as part of the slum clearances in the area. Peacock Street and the houses on ite east side survives, but the west side is now as far as I recall the backs of modern commercial properties in Magdalen St.
David Culley.

Offline teddybear1843

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 July 05 20:06 BST (UK) »
Try www.the-plunketts.freeserve.co.uk and click on "p" for Peacock Street.

Best wishes

Teddybear
Bear, Burrows, Burroughs, Goll, Mayes, Yull, Bacon, Harvey, Fenn, Youngman, Jary, Lake, Chesney, Yaxley, Freestone, Briggs, Carrington, Frarey, Blaxter, Bennefer, Gosman, Howard, Wildman, Woodbine, Jessop, Taylor, Walpole, etc etc  all in Norfolk.
Weasenham village history and families connected to the villages of Weasenham All Saints & Saint Peter in Norfolk.  Happy to carry out research in Norfolk.  Please PM for details.

Offline David Culley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 July 05 12:45 BST (UK) »
Yes I've had a look. Just as well they were removed in the 30's as they look like timber framed buildings which would have burnt like matchwood in the blitz. Weavers windows at the top I'd say.  I feel these photos may give a misleading impression.  The map shows yards at the Western side of the buildings on the West side of Peacock street laid out as gardens. My grandmother's wedding reception was in the garden of Albion House in 1905 which as far as I can tell was adjacent to Stanley House and also owned by the Tate family.  The photos show ornamental shrubs growing against a wall though the ground is covered with what looks like a Persian carpet.  My mothers recollection was that the yard when she was a young girl in the 1910's was full of the paraphernalia of the fruit growing business.....wooden boxes and the like.  It looks as though the house and garden may have been on a downward spiral.

David Culley

Offline Linda_J

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 July 05 01:00 BST (UK) »
hi David and teddybear

Thank you for the reply.
Yes "wayward girls" would fit in with the family info I have.

I couldn't open the link for Peacock Sreet, but I will try again tomorrow.

Thanks once again.
Linda
Dove - Maidstone Kent
Gooch - Norfolk
Stanton - Breconshire

Offline David Culley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 July 05 11:54 BST (UK) »
Oh, really! You've whetted my tabloid interest now!  I did consider the possibility of a segregated orphanage but I've never heard of such an institution and if it was a school it would say so.  The maps by the way are available as photocopied sheets from The Forum Norwich or from Norfolk Record Office Martineau Lane Norwich for a modest fee.  I wonder if there is a reference to Stanley House in one of the Norwich Directories?

David.

Offline Linda_J

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 July 05 04:35 BST (UK) »
Hi David

The only reference I have so far found was in the East Suffolk Gazette And Beccles And Bungay Weekly News 7 December 1869, which was a death notice for the previous matron. Quote "for many years the valuable Matron of the Stanley Home".

Linda
Dove - Maidstone Kent
Gooch - Norfolk
Stanton - Breconshire

Offline David Culley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 31 August 05 16:30 BST (UK) »
Hello again Linda,
I've just come across The Stanley Home on the Plunket site for Norwich. In the 1887 directory for Norwich there it says: "Stanley Home Training Institution for Servants. Beazor Miss Susannah, Matron." I guess this description does not preclude the previously discussed possibility.
David

Offline Linda_J

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 31 August 05 19:51 BST (UK) »
Hi David

The rellie who was there in 1881 shows up later in the 1891 census as a servant, so that would fit. Thanks again.

Regards Linda

Dove - Maidstone Kent
Gooch - Norfolk
Stanton - Breconshire