Author Topic: William Dobson, South Shields, Master Mariner  (Read 5279 times)

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Re: William Dobson, South Shields, Master Mariner
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 16 January 16 17:20 GMT (UK) »
I will go back to the record I found Seaweed and try to list here
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 16 January 16 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Looking at it again it could be Mary and Caroline
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 16 January 16 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Mary Caroline may be the one Seaweed, I can see her coming and going from Sunderland and Newcastle pre 1850 , but I only have newspapers to search

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 16 January 16 17:59 GMT (UK) »
apprenticed on the 16th March 1833 to March 16th 1836, on the Valenin, ? Newcastle
18th March 1836, seaman, on the M Reid, also Newcastle ,Foreign trade
4th April 1837, seaman  sailed on the Ship Friends,coasting,
2nd April 1838,seaman,sailed on the Triton,coasting,
.March 1839,seaman,sailed on the Vigilante, foreign,
all Newcastle

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 16 January 16 18:09 GMT (UK) »
sailed on the. Amazon, Dundee, as a 2nd  mate, foreign trade , April 1840

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 16 January 16 18:53 GMT (UK) »
OK Thanks for that Radcliff. It's beginning to come together.
I think the vessel he was apprentice on was VALLENIA built Sunderland 1814 233 tons regular sailings to the Baltic from Newcastle. Registered in Newcastle.
The other vessels do have Newcastle connections apart from M REID which I cannot find.
AMAZON of Dundee built New Brunswick 1833 292 tons Barque rigged.
What needs to happen is to search the British National Archive for copies of the various crew agreements which should/will confirm your findings but like I said in a previous post its a long haul for Paul. I personally would be content with what we have up to now.
The question is -------------------- Where was William Dobson from 1840 to 1851?
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 16 January 16 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Back sailing out of Newcastle Seaweed
this I can not make out
Macreon ? as a mate foreign and coasting,March 1841 until March 1844
Richard, April 1844 to March 1845, foreign

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 16 January 16 19:47 GMT (UK) »
on the George Bell, London, April 1845 to May 1846, mate and master, foreign and coastal trade

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 16 January 16 20:08 GMT (UK) »
GEORGE BELL built in 1839 at Sunderland 225 tons Snow rigged registered in London owned by J Gibbon regular sailings Shields- London and Shields Baltic.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022