Author Topic: Library search failure for Morgan Lewis born 6 Feb 1877 in Abersychan  (Read 4113 times)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Library search failure
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 14 January 16 10:45 GMT (UK) »
For Merchant Navy records, see here:
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/merchant-seaman-serving-1858-1917/

Unfortunately, there was no registration of merchant seamen between 1857 and 1913, and the records for 1913-1917 have not survived. :(

But there are some hints on that National Archives site I mentioned. Good luck!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 14 January 16 14:59 GMT (UK) »

David Lewis   37
Margaret Lewis   27

living in Aberdare but Margaret down as born Brecon, David in Aberdare

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 14 January 16 15:06 GMT (UK) »

On the 1891 census record it shows Elizabeth Lewis being born at Blaina Salem Baptist Chapel which seems strange, perhaps where she was baptised but not born? But why enter that on the census record?

The census image does not show as Salem Baptist. It is just Blaina. Not sure how the transcriber managed that!

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 14 January 16 15:18 GMT (UK) »
possible death for Margaret

Deaths Jun 1889   (>99%)
Lewis    Margaret    47    Pontypool    11a   91

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 14 January 16 16:03 GMT (UK) »

On the 1891 census record it shows Elizabeth Lewis being born at Blaina Salem Baptist Chapel which seems strange, perhaps where she was baptised but not born? But why enter that on the census record?

The census image does not show as Salem Baptist. It is just Blaina. Not sure how the transcriber managed that!

Good spot  :)

Had not looked at the actual image, the transcriber must have had an off day!!

JJ

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 14 January 16 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Findmypast have digitised Merchant Navy Seaman Records 1918-1941 (BT350) which are held by the National Archives and are available to view on their website. They look like Identity Certificates.

There is one for a Morgan Lewis born 5 Feb 1877 at (what looks like) Aberschan, Wales, which looks possible albeit the birth date is a day out and birthplace is spelt different.  The digital image also includes his photograph and lists him as a Chief Engineer.

If you have access to FindMyPast, the image is here http://www.rootschat.com/links/01guf/.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline wdytya

• RootsChat Senior
  • wdytya
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 15 January 16 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone for the added information. I do not have a subscription to Find my Past and so I use my local library where I can get access. Can you advise me where on the Find My Past site I can find the Merchant Navy Seamans records or do I just search on his name?

Regarding Margaret Lewis's death I am unsure if June 1889 in Pontypool is the correct record. She died before the 1891 census and the family were living in Aberdare and in 1901 which would be in the Merthyr registration district? There is a record for the March qtr 1891 age 46 merthyr 11a 432 that could fit?

On my visit to the library I will try and find David Lewis on the census records for 1861, 1851 and 1841 before he was married but expect it to be difficult as it is a common name. But if I find the records then hopefully he is with his parents who I have no details of.The records so far show him born in Aberdare so that is a start point.

Once again many thanks to everyone who is helping me.
Dewis - London
Garmonsway - London
Craze - Dunster
Francis - Hilperton
Llewellyn - Cardiff & Pembroke

Offline wdytya

• RootsChat Senior
  • wdytya
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 15 January 16 13:15 GMT (UK) »

David Lewis   37
Margaret Lewis   27

living in Aberdare but Margaret down as born Brecon, David in Aberdare

Are they living at their own home or possibly at their parents home?

Thanks

Dewis - London
Garmonsway - London
Craze - Dunster
Francis - Hilperton
Llewellyn - Cardiff & Pembroke

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 15 January 16 13:15 GMT (UK) »
I put that death in Pontypool district on because they were still in Monmouthshire when Elizabeth was born so it depends really when they moved back to Aberdare. Did they move back to be nearer David's family after Margaret's death?