Author Topic: Dunstan of Stithians  (Read 2368 times)

Offline cannylad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dunstan of Stithians
« on: Wednesday 13 January 16 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
Richard Dunstan wed Ann Weeks Chegwidden in St. Gluvias in 1861. Richard was the son of James and Elizabeth and was born in Stithians in about 1836. I cannot find any info as to the maiden surname of his mother Elizabeth or where she was born. Any help would be much appreciated.
Many thanks.
Cannylad

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dunstan of Stithians
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 January 16 17:49 GMT (UK) »
According to the On Line Parish Clerk site for Cornwall --- there is the following marriage

27 Mar 1834
James Dunstan to Elizabeth Johns both of Stithians.

Witnesses Joseph Pendenish? Thomas Vincent

See http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/search-database/more-info/?t=marriages&id=529036
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 January 16 17:50 GMT (UK) »
There are two James Dunstan - Elizabeth marriages on freereg

http://www.freereg.org.uk/search_queries/56968d864325a64d98000cfd

although this may not be complete. There sure way to confirm this is to get the birth certificate of one of Richard's siblings born after 1 July 1837

Edit - and I see Pennines has found another marriage so it does look like getting a birth certificate is going to be a good idea
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 January 16 18:15 GMT (UK) »
deleted - wrong info
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline cannylad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 January 16 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
Thank you for the reply. James Dunstan's last child was the Richard born in 1836, so I am afraid I cannot write off for a birth certificate of a younger sibling. The marriages of James Dunstan referred to all say that he was a bachelor. However, he had a daughter with Elizabeth, born in 1813, followed by several other children, so he was married to Elizabeth by about 1813. He could have lived in sin with Elizabeth for many years and then married her in the 1820s or 1830s but I have no proof of that. Unfortunately, his wife Elizabeth died before her place of birth could be picked up on a census. She was with James in 1841, I could not find the family in 1851, and she was dead by 1861.
Thanks again.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 January 16 15:08 GMT (UK) »
I have looked at this again and its a difficult one because the same names are used over and over again by several families. I think what someone is going to have to do to eventually sort this out is track everyone of the same name, see where they go and who can be eliminated - that someone will not be me, sorry.

Anyway two baptisms for you

Eliza Dunstan baptised 4 Apr 1813 Stithians, father James Dunstan mother Elizabeth
Richard Dunstan baptised 5 Mar 1837 Mabe, father James Dunstan mother Elizabeth

Another marriage to add to the two i gave before, James Dunstan and Elizabeth Crago    29 Jul 1811 at Kea (7 miles from Stithians). Has the advantage as this then means Eliza is not illegitimate ?

And where they are in the census in case it helps someone

1841 census @ Stithians
James Dunstan   50
Elizabeth Dunstan   45
John Dunstan   15
Elizabeth Dunstan   25
Thomas Dunstan   10
Jane Dunstan   12
William Dunstan   8
Richard Dunstan   4

1851 Census ? (Elizabeth might be the 1846 death, or one of the 1850's one)

1861 census @ Stithians
James Dunstan   72 Stone carrier born Stithians 1789
Eliza Dunstan   48 daughter single deaf born Wendron 1813
Richard Dunstan   25 son wagoner born Stithians 1836
William H Dunstan   8 grandson born Wendron
William Dunstan   17 servant born Mabe

1871 @  Stithians
Richard Dunstan   35 farmer
Ann Dunstan   32
And family

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 January 16 16:44 GMT (UK) »
James Dunstan was buried 29 Dec 1864 in Mabe, abode noted as Stythians. Cornwall Record Office has a copy of his will, but as it's from after 1858, they do not supply copies. The will was proved 9 Jun 1865, he was noted as wheelwright of Stithians, and also noted that he died 26 Dec 1864. Richard was the surviving executor.
Given that he was buried in Mabe, & Richard & some of his siblings were baptised there, I suspect that Elizabeth was buried there also, possibly 28 Nov 1859 aged 68 abode noted as Stithians.

The 1811 marriage in Kea looks a possible and there's also a baptism in Kea 4 Oct 1812 for Michael, son of James & Elizabeth. He may have emigrated to NSW in 1840.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline cannylad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 January 16 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello again,
Thank you very much for the further info, some of which I did not have. I will keep on digging and hopefully will find something.
Thanks again.