Author Topic: Murphy & Broshen from Cork - do I have a chance?  (Read 3567 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Murphy & Broshen from Cork - do I have a chance?
« Reply #18 on: Friday 26 July 19 17:41 BST (UK) »
Hi, have brought this topic back as Ancestry has come up with a hint as to Michael Murphy's birth and wanted to run it past those with knowledge of Irish research.

The source of the hint are the National Irish Registers from the National Library of Ireland, Dublin.  The baptism is on 15 September 1799 at St. Mary's, Cork City, Cork, Ireland, Diocese Cork & Ross for a Michael Murphy born in 1799 to Ricd (assume Richard) Murphy and Johanna Hide.  Sponsors could be James Neil and Nony? Murphy and also a Thomas O'Connor who looks as if he sponsors all baptisms so may be the priest.

All this fits with my previous info that Michael was born around 1800 in Cork but what seems an added extra to me is that Michael's youngest daughter was baptised Johanna - although know as Hannah.

Any comments?  Should I take this at face value or are there too many Michael Murphy's born Cork c.1800 too place any faith in this?

Thanks, Pheno

https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0041  St. Mary's, Cork city
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 26 July 19 18:07 BST (UK) »
Marriage of MICHAEL KELEHER of N/R and HONORIA CRONIN of N/R
on 20 February 1866
Parish/Church/Congregation - SCHULL EAST
Area - CORK & ROSS (RC)

https://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/display-pdf.jsp?pdfName=cork%20%26%20ross.east%20schull.p4804.00704

Now that you have year you can look on Civil Reg which started 1864 for Marriage Reg

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp

this Search will find it as there are only 3 you'll find it very easily and it will help on How to Search for things rather than me just posting it.

Just enter the following

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 26 July 19 19:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all this Hallmark.  Will make my through it and hopefully find something useful.

Pheno

Added an hour later:  Thanks but this is like a needle in a haystack.  I hadn't realised that Cronin was also a popular name as is Murphy and I am not all sure what BROS* name I am looking for so don't think there is any chance.
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 26 July 19 20:14 BST (UK) »
"....It seems that Honora Cronin might have had a brother Daniel Cronin who married a Julia Murphy possibly in Schull East, Cork...."

HONORIA CRONIN married on 20 February 1866 in Schull East ... so is there a Daniel marrying around then?

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 26 July 19 23:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all this Hallmark.  Will make my through it and hopefully find something useful.

Pheno

Added an hour later:  Thanks but this is like a needle in a haystack.  I hadn't realised that Cronin was also a popular name as is Murphy and I am not all sure what BROS* name I am looking for so don't think there is any chance.

Aren't you looking for Margaret  Bros* born early 1800's  ?? 

This Search for Margaret  Bros* born ANYWHERE 1800 to 1806  throws up 3 POSSIBLES !

A search on     https://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/       

for     Margaret  Bros*    Tralee   1820 to 1835 could find Marriages for 1, 2 or all 3,  who knows?

An interesting one is the 2nd one.....   To me, it appears there is no record of a Baptism, so am thinking   Why?   "What other date information?

Could it be that her Marriage in England was *noted  in the Register??

As all RC Registers are online, free  https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0680   Tralee

maybe try  1826 ??

If it were me it is something that I would at least investigate!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile