Author Topic: Birth / baptism for a Sarah Elizabeth Page, 2nd March 1850, Bedford??  (Read 2066 times)

Offline TonyR

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Birth / baptism for a Sarah Elizabeth Page, 2nd March 1850, Bedford??
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 20 January 16 10:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi JohnP, just adding this info to save you wasting any time looking for any records which I already have:
William Page married Sarah Bailey, 11 Sep 1826 Bedford St. Pauls.  Looks like Sarah died as Sarah Page Dec quarter 1849 in Bedford, source – FreeBMD.  I have couples’ baptisms & marriage images from PRs, which I won’t bother listing here.  Their children as I have in my records, mostly from old IGI are:

George Robert b.8 Aug 1827 c.2 Sep 1827 St Pauls Bedford, batch C062061 **
Elizabeth Page b.2 Feb 1829 c.15 Mar 1829 Harpur St-Wesleyan Methodist Bedford, batch C065851
Eliza Page b.26 Dec 1830 c.6 Mar 1831 Harpur St-Wesleyan Methodist Bedford, batch C065851
Ann Bailey Page b.9 Feb 1833 c.24 Mar 1833 Harpur St-Wesleyan Methodist Bedford, batch C065851
Mary Page b.21 Aug 1835 c.22 Nov 1835 Harpur St-Wesleyan Methodist Bedford, batch C065851
Sarah Page born 9 Aug 1837 c.3 Sep 1837 St Pauls Bedford, batch C062061 ** $$
James Henry Page 26 Nov 1843 Holy Trinity Bedford batch C062131
Frederick Page 02 Feb 1845 Holy Trinity Bedford batch C062131

NOTE **Batch numbers C062061 & M062061 aren’t working properly, only get Norton, Suffolk baptisms & marriages, no Bedford ones which used to get!  Have Bedford ones been removed for some reason?

NOTE $$ Sarah born 1837 Bedford, is my direct ancestor & I have copy of her baptism from PRs.  In 1881 census, the 8 year old Sarah J(ane) Freeman, born Preston is living with my married Sarah (Day) as a ‘visitor’ in Barrow-in-Furness, Lancs.  In reality she should be my Sarah’s ‘great-niece’ as her mother Sarah Elizabeth Freeman nee Page is daughter of Ann (Bailey) Page born 1833 Bedford, who is my Sarah’s sister.  Hope that’s clearer to follow my drift.

Your quote “Also there's a marriage of Ann Baily Page, spinster at St.Pauls in 1833” has really thrown me.  I have looked for this marriage & cannot see it.  As 1833 was my Ann Baily Page’s birth year, have you mis-transcribed your findings of a baptism into a marriage – I hope so!

Last thing John, I’m always conscious of wasting people’s time, but if you would like to help, it will be much appreciated.  If you could please clear up my confusion over this 1833 Ann Baily Page marriage you found, that would be great.  Apart from that there are 3 points I need help with (1) The actual baptism details for Sarah Elizabeth Page around 1850, for which you have already found snippets. (2) Details on her brother James Page born around 1854 Bedford, who I suspect will be another illegitimate birth to Ann Page in workhouse, where you found that reference to Sarah Elizabeth. (3) The burial / death details for Sarah Page nee Bailey who died 1849 Bedford.  But please note NONE of these are vitally important, I’m really only tying up some ‘loose ends’ so please do not feel obliged in any way.  If you have spare time then great, if not then do not worry about these minor issues – I will survive without them!  Regards, TonyR.
Rooney Carlow/Wicklow to Dublin to Belfast to Birmingham. Johnston & Smyth Co Down. Crowe & Ryan Tipperary. Day, Rhodes & Johnston Barrow-in-Furness. Day, Bailey & Page Bedford. Day & Mead Somerset. Rhodes, White & Taylor Swadlincote. Reynolds Haverfordwest. Weekly Fishguard. Barzey Wales.

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 20 January 16 12:14 GMT (UK) »
Your quote “Also there's a marriage of Ann Baily Page, spinster at St.Pauls in 1833” has really thrown me.  I have looked for this marriage & cannot see it.  As 1833 was my Ann Baily Page’s birth year, have you mis-transcribed your findings of a baptism into a marriage – I hope so!

I cannot be sure I read that right, The CD presents the records in first name, then year, order per surname (ie Page) with the type, baptism/marriage/burial to the far right, so I might have got it out of line. I did then look at the St.Pauls marriages on microfiche for 1833 and could not find that marriage; however I saw one on 3 Dec 1832 for Ann Baily to Levi White where one of the witnesses was a William? Page.

As an aside - Beds Archive do have the Bedford Union Workhouse Admissions & Discharges Register, however there are not any for years 1849, 1850 & 1851, very helpful! I was going to check for the coming & going of Ann Page & child.   

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline TonyR

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 20 January 16 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi JohnP, Ann Baily from that marriage you saw on 3 Dec 1832 in St. Pauls, is sister of my Sarah Bailey who married William Page, as mentioned above.  I only have transcript of this marriage with no mention of witnesses, but it could be William Page who married her sister.

Of interest is in 1841 census, the married Levi White & Ann (Baily) are living at Beau Champ Lane Road, Bedford St. Pauls.  This address is used by other Page family members, as spotted by StevenG earlier, but I must have transcribed it wrongly as Lane / Road when it should be Row.  I blame my glasses!  Thanks for your interest John.  Regards, TonyR.
Rooney Carlow/Wicklow to Dublin to Belfast to Birmingham. Johnston & Smyth Co Down. Crowe & Ryan Tipperary. Day, Rhodes & Johnston Barrow-in-Furness. Day, Bailey & Page Bedford. Day & Mead Somerset. Rhodes, White & Taylor Swadlincote. Reynolds Haverfordwest. Weekly Fishguard. Barzey Wales.

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 26 January 16 15:29 GMT (UK) »
......  If you could please clear up my confusion over this 1833 Ann Baily Page marriage you found, that would be great.  Apart from that there are 3 points I need help with (1) The actual baptism details for Sarah Elizabeth Page around 1850, for which you have already found snippets. (2) Details on her brother James Page born around 1854 Bedford, who I suspect will be another illegitimate birth to Ann Page in workhouse, where you found that reference to Sarah Elizabeth. (3) The burial / death details for Sarah Page nee Bailey who died 1849 Bedford.

OK Tony ....
The 1833 Ann Baily Page entry was indeed her baptism on 24 Mar 1833 at St.Pauls, daughter of William & Sarah Page, brickmaker (born 9 Feb 1833) - so not a marriage, sorry for confusion. At the marriage of William Page to Sarah Bailey on 11 Sep 1826, the witnesses were Thomas Gammons & Mary Hulett.

(1) Although the BFHS Surname Index CD tells me there's a baptism for Sarah Elizabeth Page in 1850 at Bedford St.Marys there is no entry for her in the original baptism parish register nor on the BFHS CD for St.Marys. So where's this come from? After I emailed the BFHS researcher I got this information back. Were they non-conformists?
SARAH ELIZABETH DAUGHTER OF RICHARD AND ANN 30th JUNE 1850 PLUMBER GLAZIER   [ PRIMITIVE METHODIST] Abode Beauchamp Row, Birth Date 9th March 1850 Notes: Mother Ann Page father Richard Foster

The birth date 9th Mar 1850 matches the entry on the Workhouse Births & Deaths Eureka publication to mother Ann Page. On 1851 census in Greyfriars Walk there is a 20 year old Richard Foster, plumber who is grandson to Charles & Mary Carter. On 1861 & 1871 census in Albert Street there is Richard Foster, plumber born 1832 born Bedford St Pauls with wife Ann same age born St.Neots, Hunts with their children, the eldest born in 1853.  But is she the Ann Page? and I cannot find a marriage index for Richard Foster and Ann?.

(2) I could not find a baptism for James Page c.1854 at Bedford St.Pauls or St.Peters. The Surnames Index & the Parish Registers CD all end at 1852. There is a birth index for a James Robert Page in Bedford RD in March 1854 for whom I cannot find a baptism in the Steve Gibbs parish register online database.

(3) Burial of Sarah Page on 24 Oct 1849 at Bedford St.Pauls aged 44

Happy Hunting John

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline TonyR

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Birth / baptism for a Sarah Elizabeth Page, 2nd March 1850, Bedford??
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 27 January 16 04:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello JohnP, that’s some fascinating info you found on Sarah Elizabeth Page, especially her father!  So all this new info on Sarah fits in nicely with the snippets you found on her before – I’m very impressed.

All I can surmise from Sarah being baptised at the Primitive Methodist church is either (a) Ann wasn’t known there & she could therefore escape the wrath of her local vicar or (b) because it was Richard’s church of choice.  It’s interesting to note that when Sarah Elizabeth Page married William Freeman her father was recorded as the late James Page, Plumber.  I first thought that her father’s details were a complete fib, but at least the Plumber bit fits in nicely with the Richard Foster you found!

The Ann you spotted with Richard Foster in the census records, isn’t Ann Page mother of Sarah Elizabeth because Ann & Sarah are in Preston from 1861 onwards.  It’s just a coincidence that both of Richard’s true loves were named Ann & like you I cannot see any marriages for a Richard Foster & Ann.

Also, thanks for the date of Sarah Page’s burial – I think that pretty much answers all my queries on the Bedford Pages, but you never know ???.

Many thanks for your time & effort John, it’s very much appreciated, I’ll leave you in peace now.  Regards, TonyR.