Author Topic: Family of John Spurgeon/Spurgin 1739-1762  (Read 2352 times)

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Family of John Spurgeon/Spurgin 1739-1762
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 17 January 16 11:15 GMT (UK) »
John Spurgeon Senior buried at Bradwell Juxta Mare 25 October 1781.
This would be the John Spurgin of Tillingham, will of 1782, in his decline staying at one of his sons houses in Bradwell.
John Spurgin buried 26 January 1789 (his son)
Mary wife of George buried 19 June 1803

Marriages at Bradwell
George Spurgin, single married Mary Maston, widow by license 19 October 1780
John Spurgin married Sarah Ketcher both single 3 January 1764.

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 17 January 16 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Burials at Tillingham
George Spurgin age 31 buried 21 December 1815
Elizabeth Jane age 11 months buried 21 December 1815
Richard Spurgin age 33 buried 5 July 1813
Sarah Maria age 1 buried 18 January 1813
Richard Spurgin (no age) buried 28 November 1790

Offline nichbuket

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 17 January 16 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Oh WOW! Just, thank you so much for taking the time to share all that with me.

With all the info you shared, I know believe that John Spurgin/Spurgeon Senior had 2 families at the same time! I found more siblings for Richard that John and Mary Hurril had WHILE John and Ann were having children 5 minutes down the road! With the info you shared I was able to add quite a bit, and I appreciate it so much.

I guess next up on the list is to track down a marriage for John and his first wife Elizabeth--mother of first son John 1739.  I assume John Senior was born about 1715 but the question is where? 

Thanks again for all your help everyone.  You're fantastic!
~Nich
Klein, Comiss, Theobald, Hanney, Bernath, Salomonovics, Yakimovsky, Putney, Barlow, Beard, Gibbs, LeVierge, Tree, Trinder, Carter, Malpass, Crampin, Spurgin, Warner, Parker, Medcalf, Amer, Arnold,  Connelly,

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 17 January 16 22:25 GMT (UK) »
The John Spurgin of Hatfield Peveral is a different family, not the same man with 2 families.
I'll read the wills of Hatfield and see if I can sort it out.

Offline nichbuket

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 17 January 16 23:00 GMT (UK) »
That's really awesome of you.  I tracked down both Richards and George's wills via ancestry thanks to your help.

I've been trying to locate the wills that Snowball mentioned, especially the J Layswell as John was listed as a beneficiary but I have a feeling that it is only available via the ERO, as I can't find it anywhere--even Ancestry going through individual pages.

I signed up for the free trial for the website Snowball listed but it doesn't give you a copy of the will just the beneficiary index.
Klein, Comiss, Theobald, Hanney, Bernath, Salomonovics, Yakimovsky, Putney, Barlow, Beard, Gibbs, LeVierge, Tree, Trinder, Carter, Malpass, Crampin, Spurgin, Warner, Parker, Medcalf, Amer, Arnold,  Connelly,

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 19 January 16 07:45 GMT (UK) »
In order to see the wills that are at the ERO you will need a subscription to SEAX or request a paper copy, fees are reasonable.
**I did find one entry in the ERO, SEAX catalogue index that will prove useful.
**They have a file ref T9 Spurgin: correspondence  between Bradwell and Southminster families.

This may help tremendously, it is not digitized so I cannot read it you will have to request copies.

Hatfield Peveral
John Spurgin widow who married Mary Hurrell 1744 in Westminster is possibly the one who married Ann Hays 1727 by license from the Bishop of London.
They had John, Ann, John and Martha.
Possibly a father or uncle to those whose wills I found.

1) John Spurgin, Victullar who died 12 March 1803 and left a will as follows.
Wife Grace
daughters Ann Ling, Mary Livermore, Elizabeth Waltham, Martha Spurgin.
Executor brother William.

From the parish registers, he first married Mary/Marie Richardson 22 December 1755 by License
both were single.
After Mary/Marie died he married 2nd Grace Knight a widow of Little Waltham 7 October 1783.
His daughter Ann Margaret born 1757/8 married Owen Ling 28 April 1778
His daughter Mary married Benjamin Livermore 2 May 1795, witness Ann Margaret Ling
Both girls were minors and were married with consent of father John Spurgin.

William Spurgin whose will was written 23 October 1807 proved February 1809, farmer and salesman.
Wife Mary
sons William and John, daughters Martha, and Sarah Spurgin, Mary wife of James Green Caslake of White Horse Street Stepney and Ann wife of James Livermore.
Executors son William and son in law James Livermore.

Parish Registers
William Spurgin married Mary Hart by license 5 February 1776.
Daughter Mary Spurgin married James Green Caslake of St Mary Whitechapel 21 May 1798 by license. Witness her brother John and sister Martha and William Caslake.
Daughter Ann Spurgin married James Livermore of Little Baddow 1 October 1805 by license. Witness her sister Sarah Spurgin, William Spurgin (father or brother) and her cousin Mary Livermore who had married Benjamin Livermore.

This William may or may not be the brother of John above see below.
Also baptising children at Hatfield Peveral are John Spurgin and Elizabeth Harden both were widows and he is from South Weald so yet another Spurgin family.
The other is William George Spurgin 24 who married Mary Ling 23 of Stoke by Clare Suffolk about 1781. witness was Owen Ling.
The parish registers are careful to distinguish the children of William and Mary from that of William George and Mary.

So the Hatfield families are totally separate from the Bradwell /Steeple/ Tillingham/ Southminster families.

Offline nichbuket

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 19 January 16 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.  I have to read through in more detail, but with regards to the John and Mary Hurrel/Hurril, I have them too, but I have them having children Thomas & Richard, Anne, Elisabeth and Ann. Thomas &Richard's births that I have fit and I'm currently looking for deaths/marriages to the others as directly not mentioned in will but there are the Kemp and Roberts granddaughters. What you're saying is that the Mary Hurril is the wrong Mary for my John and there-in theory- should be another John/Mary marriage before 1751?

The John and Ann marriage is also the only one I could find too, but I haven't found any early children for the couple and thought it a bit odd that they wouldn't start until almost 30 years into marriage.  I was beginning to wonder if they were married at all as he was married to Mary.

I believed the widow element on Mary and John's marriage had to deal with Elizabeth--first wife mother of son John 1739 Prittlewell--Only John I see that fits age.  I know the distances from Prittlewell-Hatfield-Wickham Bishops is a bit far, but a few of my relatives moved quite a bit as farmers. But if you see a John and Mary actually settled in Hatfield I can knock that town off the route.

I never realized he'd be such a complicated case.  I'm going to have to track down possible deaths for Elizabeth, Mary and Ann. I'm beginning to wonder if he wasn't married to Mary OR Ann.

Thanks again.

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 21 January 16 07:20 GMT (UK) »
Remember only about 20-25% of the parish registers for Essex have been transcribed basing facts on only 25% of information will lead you astray.
It will be well worth your while to subscribe to SEAX so you can see actually parish records
The Essex Record Office sent an email to say that it will now be called Essex Archives as of January 21st.