Author Topic: Henry NORTON c1903-1926 WA  (Read 2559 times)

Offline mollipops1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henry NORTON c1903-1926 WA
« on: Sunday 17 January 16 04:48 GMT (UK) »
Seeking any information to identify family of this chap please.

He died in Dec 1926 in Perth district of Western Australia, aged 23, late of Collie, burial at Karrakatta (RC) (sources - MCB WA, WA BDM reg 1625, NLA Trove). His death reg does not show parents names. No matching birth in WA.

His funeral notice was placed by his aunt Catherine CLOSE nee NORTON (c1874-1957): http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article82037401

She is my connection (indirect) but is a brick wall. I'm hoping by tracing Henry it will help find Catherine.

Catherine married in Perth in 1920 and died in Collie 14 Nov 1957 aged 83. I have no clue where she was born. Her death shows parents as Henry & Catherine but no idea if this is accurate. She is buried at Collie Cemetery.

I don't need a lot of detail (as I mentioned she is not a direct link) but just to 'dot the i's' so to speak I'd love to solve this one. Thanks in advance  :)

P.S. I have ruled out the Catherine/Kate Norton who was wife of Roger BUCKINGHAM (she died in 1953).

Online ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Henry NORTON c1903-1926 WA
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 January 16 07:12 GMT (UK) »
Do you think he may have been Catherine's son  :-\

She appears to have given birth to a stillborn daughter.

Birth:
NORTON Stillborn F 1903 PERTH #5171
Mother: Catherine NORTON

Death:
NORTON Stillborn F 1903 PERTH #2282
Mother: Kate NORTON

Buried at Karrakatta in the Roman Catholic section:
http://www2.mcb.wa.gov.au/NameSearch/details.php?id=KB00002929

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 January 16 07:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mollipops,

Would the detail on the 1920 mc include info the bride provided about her Dad and names of the official witnesses?  Those WA mcs are a tad expensive though....   

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline mollipops1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 January 16 07:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Merlin, I hadn't considered that though no birth reg to be found. I had found the stillborn daughter :(

Yes JM I'm sure the mc has answers but as you say they are very pricey especially when she is the 2nd wife of the direct ancestor (OH's direct line is to his first wife)...I'm curious but not THAT curious haha  ;D

She's certainly a tricky one.

EDIT: Given she married John rather late in life I had thought perhaps she had been previously married (i.e. that Norton was not her maiden name) but the stillbirth and then a nephew named Norton seem to indicate otherwise.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 January 16 07:55 GMT (UK) »
May I add her to my growing list of   'who was she'   ..... The CLOSE surname has plenty of history in Morpeth NSW,  including with the C of E so perhaps  there's no connection to that family, but I will ask a friend and fellow family history buff to look at the Morpeth NSW Close family tree in her records, just in case  :)http://www.stjamesanglicanchurchmorpeth.com.au/page/315332271

http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/close-edward-charles-1905

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline mollipops1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 January 16 08:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks JM but not sure this is the right connection.

CLOSE being her married name of course. And C of E not a good fit.

Her husband John Hoskin CLOSE was born in Benalla, Victoria in 1877 and married his first wife in Abermain, Cessnock district of NSW (granted, not far from Morpeth). He was very active in the Labor movement and unions in regard to conditions in the mines in Collie, WA. His father was from Northallerton, Yorkshire and his mother born in Victoria; they married in a Methodist church in Benalla.

I have quite a lot of info on the CLOSE side, it is the NORTONs who elude me  :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 January 16 08:09 GMT (UK) »
Agh, yes, of course  :) 

ADD, was there any Inquiry for that 1926 death ....

Cheers,  JM

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 17 January 16 08:11 GMT (UK) »
There are quite a few death notices for their daughter Doreen PROSSER which may give some hints to her family
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article46322256

regards,
   Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline mollipops1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 17 January 16 08:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ros, Doreen was my hubby's grandmother. All the relatives mentioned are from the Prosser or Close families.  :)