Author Topic: Henry NORTON c1903-1926 WA  (Read 2561 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Henry NORTON c1903-1926 WA
« Reply #18 on: Monday 18 January 16 00:20 GMT (UK) »
Well, I for one,  :) think Judith's sightings are worth following up further ....

discharged to B'Hall .... perhaps that's the Buckley Hall that Neil found
nearest relative  sister-in-law Kate NORTON, 15 Derby St, Gorton  so there's the Aunt  connection...

Yes, so very many Henry lads on the outward passenger lists

Any newspaper cuttings for that 1918 death I wonder.

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 18 January 16 01:52 GMT (UK) »
This quote is from another family history.

"He was living at the Wensleydale Sanatorium for early cases of tuberculosis. This building later became the local Youth Hostel."
http://www.mcnamarahistory.co.uk/raeburns/

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 18 January 16 05:30 GMT (UK) »
Re-reading the thread there are a couple of anomalies:

The stillborn baby could not have been the child of the Catherine NORTON who arrived in 1911 unless she had previously been to WA and returned to UK.

This baby and Henry NORTON, d 1927, are both buried at Karrakatta RC section but apparently not close to each other - not really significant either way.

Some of the ages for many of them do not fit 100% - again not highly significant in my opinion

The Australind arriving Fremantle Nov 1911 was carrying migrants so it's possible that these were assisted passengers
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/23855635.

The eldest child admitted to the workhouse in 1910 -  Marie NORTON, b 1902 - is at Holly Mount School, Bury, Lancashire in 1911.  This seems to be a Catholic boarding school run by nuns as an orphanage at the time.  It's now a Catholic Primary School.  FreeBMD has her full name as Marie Catherine NORTON and there is a death for a Marie C NORTON, 25 in Manchester in Dec qr, 1927.

So there is no conclusive evidence but a lot of co-incidences.

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

Offline mollipops1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 18 January 16 23:45 GMT (UK) »
Wow you have been busy  ;D

I'm racing out the door but popped in to check and found all this wonderful stuff!

Thank you all, I will definitely follow up these leads later! x

Offline mollipops1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 19 January 16 09:08 GMT (UK) »
So Henry NORTON married Ursula ALCOCK in Chorlton district, Lancs in 1901 (Sep qtr 8c 1705, FreeBMD).

Births of children Marie Catherine 1902, Hy 1903 & Norah 1905, all Chorlton district, then Ursula's death in 1918.

"Nearest relative: sister-in-law Kate NORTON, 15 Derby St, Gorton" is certainly a good fit.

Hmmm...interesting!

Offline mollipops1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 19 January 16 09:15 GMT (UK) »
Well everyone, I think you have cracked the case!!!  ;D  ;D

Just found this navy enlistment for Henry. Born Manchester, next of kin Maria is his sister (in Manchester, UK). Note this is 1921-1922 (he was invalided) - and get this, address on discharge is Roberts St Collie WA! Catherine married John in 1920 so this is where she would have been living by 1922. I had missed this as WA is not mentioned in the record below:

NORTON HENRY : Service Number - 10467 : Date of birth - 21 Sep 1903 : Place of birth - MANCHESTER ENGLAND : Place of enlistment - Unknown : Next of Kin - NORTON MARIA

I also found an arrival in Fremantle WA of Henry NORTON aboard Orontes in 1920  :) There was a Catherine NORTON b. c1877 arrived in Freo aboard Australind in Nov 1911. Kate NORTON b. c? arrived Feb 1911 aboard Otranto and another Kate NORTON aboard Otway in Mar 1911 (latter travelling with Emily & G E NORTON). All from London. [EDIT: Marriage for Kate NORTON in WA in 1913 to WEYMAN, d. 1964 aged 88.]

Thank you, you are geniuses! Especially to Judith who pieced all the little clues and coincidences together so well x

PS Born in India - that was a surprise!

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 19 January 16 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Well found Mollipops -the Navy enlistment with sister Maria certainly clinches it in my opinion.

Such a sad family with all dead at such young ages.  As Ursula seems to have been sent to a TB snatorium I wonder if any/all of her children and her husband died of TB.  The parents seemed to live to a reasonable age, as does your Catherine but Henry and Ursula's family...............

This was a good puzzle and thank goodness you listed Catherine's parents as it would not have been solved without those names.  It's so worthwhile to add in as much information as possible as it's often one or two small clues which point the way.

Judith

Offline mollipops1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 19 January 16 23:37 GMT (UK) »
Yes indeed Judith, sometimes it is the tiniest clues that are the most valuable leads. And I agree that the navy record is a clincher!  :D Odd about Catherine's age, but perhaps she lied about it here and there was no proof to the contrary! So much tragedy in the family, not surprised she came here seeking better times. Young Henry had the same idea but sadly was not so fortunate  :-[

So...since Henry snr is listed as an army pensioner in 1901, is it reasonable to think he was in the British army in India and that is why the children were born there??

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 19 January 16 23:59 GMT (UK) »
 Yes, I would think Henry snr would have been in India with the army.  There are quite good records held by the UK National archives and you may be able to find him there, although having only one forename is not much help! I note also that the parents Henry and Catherine were both born in Ireland.  I don't know much about UK army so I have no idea how/when/where he might have enlisted.Seems likely that he/they did not return to England until at least 1874, given young Henry's birthdate.

Do you mean Catherine's age in 1911?  She was a boarder so it's possible that the householder did not know her actual age.

Judith