Author Topic: The Rampling Families in Lancashire - Please Help!!!  (Read 5166 times)

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
Re: The Rampling Families in Lancashire - Please Help!!!
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 17 July 05 22:16 BST (UK) »
Have you tried yourself to find the 1881 census at www.familysearch.org ?  I think you need to take it step by step before we check the 1871 and 1861 for you, if we have the wrong families then you will be going completely up the wrong alley. 

I know it seems likely these are right, but as I told you before the only way to be positive that you have the right family is by confirmation with either a birth certificate which will give both parents names (incuding mother's maiden name) or the marriage certificate giving their names, ages, addresses, occupations, fathers names and occupations and hopefully a couple of witnesses who might be relatives.

Mary
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline Jan Ann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I Know,If I Get to the Core then Answers R There!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 17 July 05 22:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary

Thanks for the advice- I am sure that these are the correct details as I have contacted a gentleman who is studying the Pimblett family and as a stroke of luck he has a copy of the marriage cert of James Rampling and Jane Pimblett! he has confirmed the details of their parents.

Thanks once again - I will look them up in the 1881 census!

Jan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

TIVEY, WILDE,
Alker, Barmore, Birchall, Bird, Bryan, Chant, Clare,  Crump, Dow, Edwards, Fairbrother, Faulkner, Frearson, Frogson, Glew, Halliday, Heathcote, Hesford, Holliday, Jones, Knight, Massey, Mather, McKenna, Mee, Melling, Neal, O'Brien, Ottewell, Pimblett, Pinks, Price, Quinn, Rampling, Richards, Richardson, Rowley, Royle, Shakespeare, Shaw, Sheldon, Tandy, Thompson, Wade, Walker,  & more!

Offline Jan Ann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 17 July 05 23:37 BST (UK) »
HEllo AGAIN

I have found them in the 1881 census living at No 64 Gerrard Street Ashton in Makerfield district of St Thomas.

James Aged 60(!) SHOP KEEPER - all born in Ashton In - M
Sarah Wife aged 29 HOUSE KEEPER
JAMES Aged 6
William Aged 4
Arthur Swift Nephew Water Fitter aged 39

Can anyone get any further back for me?

Cheers
Jan

TIVEY, WILDE,
Alker, Barmore, Birchall, Bird, Bryan, Chant, Clare,  Crump, Dow, Edwards, Fairbrother, Faulkner, Frearson, Frogson, Glew, Halliday, Heathcote, Hesford, Holliday, Jones, Knight, Massey, Mather, McKenna, Mee, Melling, Neal, O'Brien, Ottewell, Pimblett, Pinks, Price, Quinn, Rampling, Richards, Richardson, Rowley, Royle, Shakespeare, Shaw, Sheldon, Tandy, Thompson, Wade, Walker,  & more!

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 18 July 05 00:00 BST (UK) »
Can't be sure about these, you will notice that James only married Sarah in 1872.

In 1871 there is RG10/3898 Wigan Ashton in Makerfield Folio 131 Page 1
Town South Side, Ashton in Makerfield
James Rampling Head M 50 Draper and Labourer Middlesex Lothbury
Ann Wife M 53 Draper Middlesex London

There is a death of Ann Rampling December qtr 1872 Wigan age 55 8c 66 and
Marriage of James Rampling December qtr 1872 Wigan 8c 131

Very strangely if the above is your James, in 1861 RG9/2786 Wigan Ashton in Makerfield Folio 139 Page 44
Town, Ashton in Makerfield
James Rampling Head M 40 Highway Labourer Northumberland Lawtham
Ann Wife M 42 Dressmaker London
Joseph Son 14 Bricklayer's labourer Lancashire Shepton Mallet
Matilda daur 9 Scholar " Ashton in Makerfield

Mary
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline Jan Ann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 18 July 05 12:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary

Thanks once again for all your help.

I agree with  you it all seems very strange! James the elder can't make his mind up where he's from!  Somersetshire, Ashton, Northumberland! I'll definitely have to investigate further. :) :) :)

Meanwhile - is there anyone who has the 1851 census or 1841 census Who  can find James and Ann?

Many Thanks

Jan

TIVEY, WILDE,

Offline Jan Ann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 18 July 05 21:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone

Just had a reply from a Rampling on GenesReunited - this his his quote

"This James is a real problem. I have not been able properly to place him. I can't help thinking that he had something to hide.

1861C gives his birthplace as Lawtham NBL
1871C gives his birthplace as Lothbury MDX
1881C gives his birthplace as A-i-M.
1891C gives his birthplace as Somerset!!

It is clear that his son Joseph, by his first wife, was born in Somerset (Shepton Mallet BMD 1846 q4 Shepton Mallet 10,442).

His first wife (Ann) died 1872 (BMD 1872 q4 Wigan 8c,66 "age 55") and he married Sarah Ann Houlton (1872 q4 Wigan 8c,131).

Incidentally, I think you'll find that James (b.1874) was a "brickcutter."

Anyway, my current suspision (no more than that) is that is worth looking investigating the possibility that he was a "returnee." Those who were transported to Australia could return once they had served their term. Maybe that's a bit fanciful but I have rarely come across anyone so apparently wishing to hide their real origin.

Kevin "

If this is the case, where would I search for James as a convict?

Cheers
Jan       

TIVEY, WILDE,

Offline Melanie Roux

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 26 June 11 16:28 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have some Rampling members up my tree , you can check my tree on Geni.com
we have William Rampling 1824 and this family all the way down to me , we might be able to connect our trees

Offline billramp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 27 June 11 00:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Melanie Roux...

I am a Rampling, the last of another Rampling line...

As yet I have been unable to link my London Ramplings to any of the other Rampling trees.....London, Lancashire, East Anglia, Devon/Hants or Aussie and NZ.

I have been trying for many years now and would love to find a link.

I havn't yet been on Geni.com but I will register and may I look at your tree....you never know!

Thanks Jan for letting me put this on your post, we are the only two who are listed on the surname interest table for rampling!.

Bill

RAMPLING and CHANDLER London,Middlesex,Surrey.
DOWN,  HITCHCOCK, PAGE  London and Devon.
HIGGS  London and Warwickshire (Birmingham)
SAUNDERS Folkestone, Kent
JERVIS, HOLMES, DOWNS  Longton,Staffordshire
BARRINGTON London
MILES, DEAN London, Somerset
POLGREAN Cornwall

Offline aztex10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: The Rampling Families in Lancashire - Essex,Suffolk,South AFrica and New Zea
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 22 December 15 05:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi I am Anthony Douglas Edward RAMPLING-born S.Africa,now living in NEW Zealand-researching William Rampling mrrd to Sarah Jane Osborne Hadleigh,Suffolk.
Have been trying to connect Ramplin/Rampling families-cannot seem to be able to find connections of the varies families-any help would be appreciated :D
rgds Tony