Author Topic: Need help with a Welsh ancestor Godfrey Charles Barnes 6.11.1857 Newport  (Read 8155 times)

Offline Matti

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with a Welsh ancestor Godfrey Charles Barnes 6.11.1857 Newport
« Reply #63 on: Thursday 18 February 16 08:44 GMT (UK) »
Also cannot at present locate marriage of George Barnes to Sophia?

In 1851 in Jane Cambridge's household Sophia was a daughter and George a son-in-law, so I deduced that they must have been a pair.

This confirms it (I copied it from somewhere else):

”George was born to Luke and Elizabeth Barnes, in Mangotsfield. George became a stone mason, then he married a girl named Sophia Bees. George and Sophia and the Mother-in-law moved to Pontypool, in Monmouthshire along with Sophia's two younger brothers, to find work. Tragicly Sophia developed cancer of the uterus and six months later she died on the 5th November 1869.

George had already met Mary Jane Bennett, the daughter of Samuel Bennett, before Sophia had died, and when Mary reported Sophia's death, she was already calling herself Barnes. George and Mary Jane married in 1870 at Llanhilleth parish church. George and Sophia had a home in Moreton Street, Pontypool (Moreton Street no longer exists), so Mary moved in and George continued to ply his trade as a stone mason.”

... in 1841 a Jane BEESE 40 occ Charwoman with children in household of Sar 20 Ann 8 Jane 6 all daughters, are at Downend, Mangotsfield, I have located elsewhere in Downend Charles & Sophia working away from home, living next door is a Chas Cambridge 46 occ Stone Mason so it looks like Jane "took the name" Cambridge but possibly did not marry Charles.

It may be probable that Jane never married Henry's father Chas/Charles...

In 1851 there is no Jane (about 16) anymore. Where did she disappear? Ann was 18, so she may have left her home to get married. The 1841 Jane Bees and the 1851 Jane Cambridge may not have been the same person. Also the age doesn't match.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Thursday 18 February 16 09:04 GMT (UK) »
 ;D Look take my word for it, stop going on about difference in ages from census to census,  all seasoned researchers use anything from supposed yob +/- 5 on occasions especially with the 1841, Henry Cambridge on one census at least gives pob as Downend, Mangotsfield,?
EDIT And why was the above information re Jane Bees etc etc not divulged at even the earliest opportunity, I have spent hours trying to assist you, so not at all happy?
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Thursday 18 February 16 09:19 GMT (UK) »
I can't see George's marriage to Sophia either, but the marriage of Jane Bees to Charles Cambridge is on familysearch as taking place at Temple Church, Bristol on 8 August 1842. It seems to be one of those records which has failed to be included in the GRO index.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Thursday 18 February 16 09:45 GMT (UK) »
;D Look take my word for it, stop going on about difference in ages from census to census,  all seasoned researchers use anything from supposed yob +/- 5 on occasions especially with the 1841, Henry Cambridge on one census at least gives pob as Downend, Mangotsfield,?
EDIT And why was the above information re Sophia Bees etc etc not divulged at even the earliest opportunity, I have spent hours trying to assist you, so not at all happy?
Keyboard86

Offline Matti

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Thursday 18 February 16 09:51 GMT (UK) »
EDIT And why was the above information re Jane Bees etc etc not divulged at even the earliest opportunity, I have spent hours trying to assist you, so not at all happy?
Keyboard86

Don't get me wrong. I surely appreciate your effort. I put it this way: as I am a novice in family search, I don't understand what is relevant and what is not.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Thursday 18 February 16 09:52 GMT (UK) »
I can't see George's marriage to Sophia either, but the marriage of Jane Bees to Charles Cambridge is on familysearch as taking place at Temple Church, Bristol on 8 August 1842. It seems to be one of those records which has failed to be included in the GRO index.

Fabulous so 1841/51 Jane same person with different ages!

Matti as it looks like I have been confirming a tree on I presume Anc*** why not give me the host of said tree and I will confirm or deny with them and you can cut/paste at your leisure?
Keyboard86

Offline Matti

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Thursday 18 February 16 10:01 GMT (UK) »

Fabulous so 1841/51 Jane same person with different ages!

Matti as it looks like I have been confirming a tree on I presume Anc*** why not give me the host of said tree and I will confirm or deny with them and you can cut/paste at your leisure?
Keyboard86

The tree does't show the marriage of George and Sophia but it does for George and Mary Jane. The text on the site suggests the marriage of George and Sophia. As it is a personal website, I don't like to share the link publically. I'll PM the link to you.