Author Topic: Edith Collin  (Read 1434 times)

Offline collin

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edith Collin
« on: Monday 18 January 16 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi.
    I am stumped with this one, wonder if a fresh pair of eyes has any ideas?
Edith Collin was born in Oldham 5 November 1869
She was baptised Edith Alice on Dec 16 1869 daughter of Job & Mary Collin
She is with her family in 1871, 1881 & 1891 when she was a 21 year old cotton reeler.
Her mother died in 1892 and in 1901 she is nearby, listed as Edith Collins 31 cotton reeler, lodging with a Sabrina Smith 48.
In 1911 Sabrina is lodging with others and no sign of Edith but no death or marriage between 1901-11 and nothing obvious in immigration.I searched on just first name for if she was a common law wife but nothing works out.

Then I found a death & burial in Oldham that may be her?
Edith Alice Bidle died 10 November 1947 age 79 at 449 Rochdale Road, which was the workhouse. Its the only Bidle ever registered in Oldham
The archives told me she was not an inmate but had died in the workhouse infirmary and no further information. She is buried in Chadderton Cemetery in a public grave.
The register office told me that the death certificate would not identify her only that she had been someones wife, so probably a widow?
Edith younger brother William never married he lived with sisters and later alone dying in 1950, his age is wrong but it is him because his nephew bought his grave in Failsworth Cemetery where he is buried alone. The parents grave is in Greenaces but no Edith in it.
Edith Alice
Thank you Glyn
Collin Oldham Lancs   Rogers Dudley  Abbott  Ripley Derbys    Hartley Outwood Yorks

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Edith Collin
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 January 16 17:23 GMT (UK) »
[s]
Edith younger brother William never married he lived with sisters and later alone dying in 1950, his age is wrong but it is him because his nephew bought his grave in Failsworth Cemetery where he is

Sorry a bit confused by this bit - what is him?[/s]
[/s]
Have reread and I assume you mean that the death in 1950 although the incorrect age is him.

[/s]Pheno

Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 January 16 18:54 GMT (UK) »
You appear to be asking us to find her from 1901 onwards but as you already know there is no Collin(s) Bidle marriage

Have you considered she may have married more than once?  She could have been widowed in which case any subsequent marriage would be under her previous married name

Have you looked for her on the 1939 register?

Bidle appears to be a Norfolk/Suffolk surname
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline collin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 January 16 20:31 GMT (UK) »
William is 77 on his death in 1950 but he was actually only 74. and the Edith in 1947 would only be 78 not 79, if it is her?so they weren't very accurate with ages.
I did look for her in 1939 but no luck.
Just looking for suggestions, only thing I can think of is looking in deaths in Oldham Chronicle or the electoral roll for Williams address in 1947
Collin Oldham Lancs   Rogers Dudley  Abbott  Ripley Derbys    Hartley Outwood Yorks

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 January 16 20:39 GMT (UK) »
and the Edith in 1947 would only be 78 not 79, if it is her?

You gave Ediths date of birth as 5th November 1869. So she would be 79 on 5th Nov 1948. Therefore at any time in 1947 after 5th Nov, or in 1948 prior to her birthday she would still be 78. 

The death for Bidle that you quote was 10th Nov, thus just after her 79th birthday on 5th Nov. This may not be her, or maybe the informant did not know she had just had a birthday, or maybe as often happened, she just 'lost' a year.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 January 16 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Have you seen the Probate index entry for William?   Unfortunately no Will.

William Collin of 11 Woodstock Road Oldham who was last seen alive 6th October 1950 and whose dead body was found 7th October 1950. Administration to Alfred Lees drilling machine operator and Thomas Hibbert Lees general labourer Effects £243 - 6s

Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline collin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 January 16 21:05 GMT (UK) »
I have the probate for William thanks, the Lees brothers were the sons of his eldest sister Sarah Ellen who died in 1928. William does not show up on the 1939 Register either.

Offline collin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 07 February 16 14:32 GMT (UK) »
I have solved this one at last!  Browsing burials at St Margarets Hollywood, I came across Edith Alice Savage in 1913 age 42 of 39 Thompson Lane Chadderton.
In 1911 she is there as Edith Savage age 42 wife of Robert 61, married 10 years no children. Looked for Roberts marriage and he married ADA Collin in 1901 on free bmd
on Lancashire bmd Ada Collins. So thats why I couldn't find her, either a mistake or she called herself Ada. Her death on Lancs bmd says age 42 on free bmd it is 4.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 07 February 16 14:40 GMT (UK) »
Her death on Lancs bmd says age 42 on free bmd it is 4.

The GRO index gives the age as 4 so not technically a wrong transcript on freebmd
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk