Author Topic: Mocavo and Find My Past  (Read 1327 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Mocavo and Find My Past
« on: Monday 18 January 16 20:01 GMT (UK) »
Received an e-mail today regarding "Mocavo and Findmypast who are coming together"

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01gvr/

Dear Customer,

We wanted to let you know that in the coming months Mocavo will be coming together with its sister site, Findmypast. This will create a single experience for our US customers in a move that aims to deliver a more focused, efficient and comprehensive service to US family historians.

Mocavo was launched back in 2011 - In 2014 blog announcements were made that Findmypast and Mocavo have joined together

https://blog.findmypast.co.uk/findmypast-buys-mocavo-1406297322.html

"As part of our 'Free Forever' promise, Mocavo subscribers will continue to enjoy free access to all of the same records that were previously published for free on Mocavo. We will be transferring your account over to Findmypast soon so stay tuned for updates"

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
Re: Mocavo and Find My Past
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 January 16 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sandra  :)

Now we will wait and see if that is a good thing or....not.

Cheers,
DB

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 January 16 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Let's hope this results in some improvements in Mocavo.  Its census search facility is beyond useless.  I just use Mocavo to see census images once I've found the results I want with FamilySearch.  And then, you can't readily save the image at a useful scale; you have to cut it up and save it piecemeal.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 January 16 14:54 GMT (UK) »
"As part of our 'Free Forever' promise, Mocavo subscribers will continue to enjoy free access to all of the same records that were previously published for free on Mocavo. We will be transferring your account over to Findmypast soon so stay tuned for updates"

Does that mean that any Mocavo subscriber will get free access to the whole of Findmypast, or only the records they can see at the moment?  Doesn't seem a good deal for Findmypast.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 January 16 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Sounds like it will be only that which was previously covered by "Mocavo" - which I'd never even heard of.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)