Author Topic: Mullen family history  (Read 1309 times)

Offline bikboks

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mullen family history
« on: Tuesday 19 January 16 11:54 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for information about my maternal grandmother born in Dublin in 1864 to James Mullen and Mary Kelly. She married my grandfather George Hipple in Dublin in 1887.

Is she of interest to anyone else?

Thank you in anticipation - Malcolm Hipple

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mullen family history
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 January 16 12:22 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat Malcolm.
To make it easier for people to help you could you say what sort of information you are looking for.

For example, have you all the children born to James and Mary?
what was you grandmother's name?
Have you found her in church and census records?

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 January 16 12:42 GMT (UK) »
Link to their daughter Sophia's marriage record shows James MULLEN was in the 40th Regt.

Link to Sophia's baptism in 1865; DoB Dec 17 1864

LINK to possible siblings; Andrew 1867, Charles 1870 and Henry ?c1870
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline bikboks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 January 16 10:00 GMT (UK) »
Very stupidly I forgot to give my grandmother's name in my request for help which is Sophia Elizabeth Mullen.

I know nothing of her siblings and I would like to find family information on her parents, James Mullen and Mary Kelly and their background.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 January 16 10:28 GMT (UK) »
As James was described as "pensioner from 40th Regt" on Sophia's marriage record - have you tried army records for him?

Also do you know when James and Mary died to have an idea of their ages for locating births

edited to add- is it possible James remarried? LINK bearing in mind James MULLEN is a relatively common name
edited to add - Father's name now confirmed as Patrick from 1848 marriage making this record more believable
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline bikboks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 January 16 11:09 GMT (UK) »
The main problem I have is that Mullen and Kelly are such common names. I know nothing of their dates of birth, marriage or deaths.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 January 16 13:22 GMT (UK) »
Often a problem for all of us! Having the reference to the army regiment is good for reference

Using the hints available:

If Sophia was born in 1864 and James was already a pensioner it implies he wasn't newly married in his early twenties

It looks as if James MULLEN was one of the witnesses at the wedding as pensioner is written after his signature on the church record; implying he was still alive in 1887

Army records are not my best area but there is one army record that is of interest that I can see

Colour Sergeant James MULLEN #1510 born in the parish of St. Ann, Dublin
Former occupation: Book binder
Attested: Cork August 21 1840
Discharged: June 17 1862
Served: 21 years 131 days of which 4 11/12 years were in India and 6½ years were in Australia

The record "Canada, British Army Regimental Rolls of Non-commissioned Officers and Soldiers, 1806-1892 for James Mullen" states the same information and also that he married on January 3rd 1848; however it does not state to whom or where.

A check on the movements of the regiment could help locate where the marriage took place and to whom

On the 1861 Army census he is listed at Taranakie New Zealand on a transcription - access to the original may show if a spouse and/or family was with him to see if he is the correct man

edited to add - found marriage record

James MULLIN Private in 40th Regt, Shambles Barracks (F) Patrick; servant (M) not recorded
married in the Collegiate Church of St. Nicholas Parish, Galway on Jan 3rd 1848
Mary KELLY of Mainguard Street, Galway (F) William; Private in HM Army (M) not recorded
Witnesses: John & Elizabeth McEVOY
LINK to Civil Record Reference
Further generations:

Offline bikboks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 20 January 16 17:31 GMT (UK) »
This is very good news, thank you very much for your help. I shall see how much further I can progress using the advice you have given.

Malcolm Hipple

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 20 January 16 18:15 GMT (UK) »
If you need to get any certs use this link for the order form etc.
http://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/civil-records/help/i-want-to-get-a-copy-of-a-certificate-what-do-i-do

Great work by myluck, it should set you on the right road, enjoy the journey, and you know where to come if you get stuck.