Author Topic: WW2 Royal Army Service Corp - Service Records  (Read 6683 times)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WW2 Royal Army Service Corp - Service Records
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 21 January 16 21:57 GMT (UK) »
You should have a look at one of the many references to the RASC on the net.  A good one is
https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/units/4495/royal-army-service-corps.  They can do a better job than I of explaining where and how the RASC fitted into the great scheme of things.

The units on both records are all elements within the RASC responsible for different aspects of supply and transport.

I must admit to a minor error earlier. 913 Company was not a Royal Artillery unit but an RASC company attached to a Royal Artillery AA (Anti-Aircraft) unit, providing transport support.  There are war diaries also for this unit, the year you want is at
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C799273

As Andy has said, there are diaries for two RASC companies, 299 and 399.  However, I think what he may be referring to as a typo was what I queried in my first answer.  The clerk has entered 299 GT Coy in the dates from and to column but has then put 399 in the next column - they should be the same.  He/she was copying from his AF B 102 (don't worry about that) and probably just made an error.  Andy will no doubt let you know. (Just seen his post)

maxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Coolbreeze

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 21 January 16 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Sent you a PM
I'm wondering if both entries are meant to read 299 Company and 399 is an admin error by the person writing on the form.

Hard to say what is the best one to get. War Diaries vary quite a lot.

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 21 January 16 22:43 GMT (UK) »
RASC/EFI   (Expeditionary Forces Institutes)  were responsible for supplying NAAFI overseas.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich