Author Topic: What! The 1939 Register For Free!  (Read 71435 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: What! The 1939 Register For Free!
« Reply #90 on: Sunday 31 January 16 02:34 GMT (UK) »
I've just subscribed for the £1 for 1 month but when I do a search & names come up on the list it is asking for credits......I thought it was free or am I reading it wrong?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Sunday 31 January 16 02:45 GMT (UK) »
The 1939 Register is only included in subscriptions from 16th Feb and then only with annual subs. Anyone subscribing monthly will still have to purchase pay per view credits. It is mentioned elsewhere in this post.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Sunday 31 January 16 02:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks smudwhisk,

As per......not clear enough in their wording so another few million income for zilch  ???

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Sunday 31 January 16 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Annie, it does say on the FindMyPast subscription page in bold letters under the price boxes that the 1939 Register isn't included in subscriptions.  I accept that there isn't currently anything on the homepage or the subscription page saying that from 16 Feb it will be included in subscriptions but only annual ones, but it has been extensively discussed on this thread and on other forums and social media.  I'm surprised you were aware it was to be included but not of the finer details. 

The emails that FindMyPast have been sending out with offers do make it clear that the 1939 Register won't be included in the monthly subs.  Similarly, the commision sites I've seen with discount codes also make this clear.

I suspect one of the reasons it won't be included with monthly subs is the fact they have frequently been offering a month for a £1.  While they do often have half price annual sub offers, they obviously would still make more money from those than the £1 per month offers to recoup against the costs of digitising and indexing the Register.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Sunday 31 January 16 11:38 GMT (UK) »
It seems quite fair to me that it will only be included in the annual subs, and as you say smudwhisk, it does say that on the site and we've definitely mentioned it several times here. If they included everything in the monthly offers, what would be the point of having an annual subscription? Surely the whole aim of offering a month at a "silly" price is to encourage people to try the site and then go on to take out a full subscription.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Sunday 31 January 16 12:03 GMT (UK) »
It seems quite fair to me that it will only be included in the annual subs, and as you say smudwhisk, it does say that on the site and we've definitely mentioned it several times here. If they included everything in the monthly offers, what would be the point of having an annual subscription? Surely the whole aim of offering a month at a "silly" price is to encourage people to try the site and then go on to take out a full subscription.

Couldn't agree more
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline msr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Sunday 31 January 16 12:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks smudwhisk,

As per......not clear enough in their wording so another few million income for zilch  ???

Annie

FindMyPast were very clear from the onset that credits had to be used for the 1939 register, it wasn't included in any subscription.  Whether purchasing new credits, or perhaps using those already in one's account to fully open a discovered household was the choice of the subscriber.   Don't forget Annie that quite a lot of information could be found prior to using the credits. 

The very generous offer of £1.00 for one month allows access to a fair amount, so expecting the 1939 to be included too is asking for something for next to nothing, or zilch to use your word.   

Do as a lot of other RootsChatters do, take up an annual subscription and search away to your heart's content, from 16 February of course.

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Sunday 31 January 16 14:13 GMT (UK) »
marking spot thanks
North East of England

Offline Deer243

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Monday 01 February 16 15:51 GMT (UK) »
Will the register be included in library subscriptions?
Dillon (Manchester, originally Ireland)
Duggan (Manchester, originally Ireland)
Marley (Manchester, originally Ireland)
Hogan (Tullamore, County Offaly, Ireland)
Reekie (Fife)
Elston (Brecon, Birmingham, Dorset, Devon)
Pearsall (Birmingham)
Kinninmonth (Fife)
Kinnaird (Fife)