Author Topic: Military Headstone Help Needed  (Read 5364 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Military Headstone Help Needed
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 24 January 16 19:38 GMT (UK) »
1952 Edmonton City Directory
Fred Rolfe, constn wrkr (gives address)
http://peel.library.ualberta.ca/bibliography/2962.46/1115.html

1953 Edmonton City Directory
No Fred Rolfe listed.  I did not check other directories.
http://peel.library.ualberta.ca/bibliography/2962.47/1222.html

If the obituary is not helpful, I wonder if someone at the cemetery office might be able to help you?  When I've contacted the offices (in Ontario, Canada), I've briefly explained who I was to the deceased and why I was requesting the information.  Most of the personnel were very helpful and one was even able to give me the town in which my brickwall ancestor was born.
http://www.edmonton.ca/programs_services/municipal_cemeteries/beechmount-cemetery.aspx

Did your great uncle live in Edmonton, or does your family believe he passed away c1952?  If not, perhaps we can try to find him elsewhere?

PS  maxD, thank you for clarifying the abbreviation.  It's always helpful to learn new things.   :)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 24 January 16 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Another clue in his service number perhaps is that the M prefix denotes a man recruited in Military District 13 which comprised Alberta and the NWT.  There were RCA Field Brigades in Edmonton, Lethbridge and Calgary.

Lisa in CA (!) - you are most welcome.

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 25 January 16 05:18 GMT (UK) »
As well as his birth date and parents, do you know whether he married or had children? Did he have any other family members in Canada? Was he in WWI or WWII?

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 25 January 16 06:13 GMT (UK) »
Do you know where the photograph was taken, and if it was in Canada, have you tried

Canadian Agency
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
66 Slater Street, Suite 1707
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0P4
Canada

Tel: +1 (1) 613 992 3224

Regards

Malky

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 25 January 16 08:47 GMT (UK) »
I believe I may have found my Gt Uncles grave in Beechmount Cemetery in Edmonton.
CWGC sounds a good move, Malky
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 25 January 16 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Here is the link for CWGC - Beechmount

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01gxj/

There are a number of Fred Rolfe entries in various provinces on the 1921 Canada Census.

Really think the OP needs to put more information up before going much farther.

sami
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 25 January 16 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Yes, OP must have a certain amount of definite information about his great uncle - date & place of birth, parents etc.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline mikegall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 25 January 16 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Yes, sorry for the delay in replying and thank you all for your help so far.

The information I have at the moment for Frederick is as follows:

Frederick Charles Rolfe b. Q2 1899 West Ham London
Father: Frederick Rolfe - Dock Worker
Mother: Unknown
2 Sisters born around West Ham area:
 Florence Lilian Rolfe b. 1901 (my Grandmother)
 Second sister Unknown
 Both sisters stayed in England

Fred was migrated to Canada by Barnardos I believe in July 1912 after both his parents died and received by Annie MacPherson

I'm pretty certain this is him:

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/immigration/immigration-records/home-children-1869-1930/boards-guardians/Pages/item.aspx?IdNumber=8305&

He served in the Army during WWII and apparently took part in the Normandy landings.

He worked for an oil company around Calgary where my Aunt tried writing to him.

So far I have:
- Believe I have found his birth index in the UK and have ordered a certificate from the GRO (not yet arrived)
- Requested the obituary for the Fred Rolfe on the headstone picture from Edmonton Library (not yet arrived)
- Requested the death medical record for the Fred on the headstone picture (not yet arrived)
- Requested a search by Barnardos in the UK for Frederick Rolfe (not response yet)

With the help of posters on this forum I think we might have located his sailing from Liverpool on Ancestry, a possible match in the 1921 census in Saskatchewan and a pretty good match in the 1940 voters list on Ancestry.

Next I will order the military records for the Fred on the headstone picture when I get his date of birth from the GRO.

I think I'm getting there but it would be good to know how I can tie all this together.
Gallagher, Foley, Fleming, Duffy, Reid, Read, Reed, Folds, Saunders, Bonfield

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 25 January 16 17:40 GMT (UK) »
I'd advise - be patient.  You have some possibly good info on the way, see how that all knits together.

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia