Author Topic: Lost Cousins - Customer service at it's worst?  (Read 51280 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lost Cousins - Customer service at it's worst?
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 17 April 16 15:10 BST (UK) »

LOL, I thought I was alone in having had rude responses from Mr C!!

Now, did I imagine it, or was he, a little while back... asking people to donate towards buying him a drink? (Or was it a new kitchen?:-)

Romilly ;)
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 18 April 16 07:49 BST (UK) »
Now, did I imagine it, or was he, a little while back... asking people to donate towards buying him a drink? (Or was it a new kitchen?:-)

;D A certain proportion of his newsletters are links to deals on various websites where he gets credit for recommending you. Or something like that.

I just skip those bits and read the relevant bits!
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 18 April 16 08:00 BST (UK) »
Took ages in the beginnings to fill in details of the 1881.....One contact which aid already found and nothing since.A good idea .....Looked at the forum with no success.Give me Roots Chat any day.
Ringrose
Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )
er(essex)Nightingale(kent Sussex)Sutton (sussex)

Offline brionne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 18 April 16 08:25 BST (UK) »
Fail to see how anyone can possibly compare Lost Cousins to RootsChat,TWO completely different sites.
Am a great supporter of Lost Cousins,Peter C draws attention to the very many different areas of family history with his arranged cost cutting deals,also especially where previously accessible family history information may have been removed,he asks questions and invariably gets answers.
As a lady of limited means,I always wait for his information as to when Ancestry is free sometimes at Bank Holidays.
Having been stung badly by them years ago for 50 quid by mistake.
Brionne.
Dyer,Wilts,Weare Somerset Dorset Wilts.
Weare/Robinson Ottawa Canada.Petty Wilts.
Simper Wilts.West Wilts.West Vermont.Kelsey Surrey.Chappell
Chapel Essex.McPherson,M Pherson MacPherson
Perthshire Scotland,Cork,Dublin,Drogheda Ireland.
Census information Crown Copy right from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 18 April 16 09:05 BST (UK) »
As a lady of limited means,I always wait for his information as to when Ancestry is free sometimes at Bank Holidays.                                             

Invariably similar information is posted here as soon as someone has an email from one of the subscription sites.  ;D
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 18 April 16 11:09 BST (UK) »

Invariably similar information is posted here as soon as someone has an email from one of the subscription sites.  ;D

I don't think there is any need for competition.

Peter's Lost Cousins newsletter is regularly published, and if you like it you can read it, and if you don't you needn't.

I've never had anything but a courteous response from him, but if you've experienced rudeness, then fair enough, I can understand you'd not want to be in touch with him again, or read his newsletter.

I think he is very clear about the benefits he gets from the things he advertises, and again - if you don't want to click on his Amazon link to a book to benefit him, then you don't need to do it.

Rootschat is a wonderful resource - thanks, Tristram and Sarah! - and its members are equally wonderful.  But there are other resources which can on occasion be helpful, and there's no reason to not to use those, if you are happy to.

:D :D

Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 18 April 16 11:46 BST (UK) »
In an ideal world all governmental genealogical records should be free to access when the time limit on restricted access has expired. Then on expiry any organization who is willing to copy the records and offer them free to all should have the ability to do that. The only organization that would be willing to do that is probably familysearch.org.

Offline pete_uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Lost Cousins
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 11 May 16 18:40 BST (UK) »
Several people have asked why the LostCousins forum is still in beta after 3 years. It's very simple....

As regular readers of my newsletter will know, I contracted dengue fever in December 2013. Because of this I had to reduce my workload - stopping work on the forum was the obvious solution since at that stage only a very small percentage of LostCousins members had been invited to join.

It IS expensive to keep the forum running, but hopefully one day I will be well enough to finish what I started (but don't expect it to become a clone of Rootschat - that's not the way I do things).

Until then I will focus my efforts on the main LostCousins site, and my primary goal, which is to connect researchers who are cousins so that they can share past discoveries and collaborate on future research. All who share my vision are welcome.

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 11 May 16 20:25 BST (UK) »
Congratulations on your work, Peter.  I like it  :D
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex