Author Topic: Lost Cousins - Customer service at it's worst?  (Read 51307 times)

Offline smithbill

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lost Cousins - Customer service at it's worst?
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 30 August 22 19:13 BST (UK) »
I have to agree with bones5, it was totally inappropriate to post details in a 'newsletter' of the family of the young child who had so very recently passed away - it was insensitive & frankly outrageous when his family are still coming to terms with it. At a minimum, I expect to see a very humble apology front-and-centre of the next issue of the newsletter.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 30 August 22 19:16 BST (UK) »
Strangely he did a Zoom talk last year for an organisation I belong to and he was quite timid.  I was surprised, given his on line persona.

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 30 August 22 21:33 BST (UK) »
There have been two or three occasions over the years when something I have emailed Peter about has picqued his interest.  He has always asked, very politely, whether I would mind if he used the exmple in one of his forthcoming newsletters.

Maybe that happened this time around.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline bones5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday 30 August 22 21:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your replies and thoughts.

I would say that the zoom meeting is likely a different case where manners and a certain protocol is observed, whereas the LC newsletters are entirely his choice of content, whether given consent by others to include information or just his own views. Rather like using a ' telephone voice' when answering a call, being polite and 'proper'. Or not.

No matter what the life and circumstances, a child has died and the family are grieving. Respect should have been observed and any tittle tattle and assumptions should have been unspoken.

I do apologise for hijacking this thread, I thought the best place was to add my comments on this topic.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday 31 August 22 20:54 BST (UK) »

No matter what the life and circumstances, a child has died and the family are grieving. Respect should have been observed and any tittle tattle and assumptions should have been unspoken.

I agree, there was no reason to use the poor boy as an example of name changes, there are plenty of others that could have been used. He also has jumped to a conclusion that hasn't been proved and won't be until after an inquest. Hopefully A's parents won't read it.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bones5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Thursday 01 September 22 09:02 BST (UK) »
Another aspect of the article was that it came across as judgemental. This is a family of now, not a genealogy project.

That was my thought too, that his parents would hopefully not read it.