Author Topic: Three children Sail To Australia in the 1880s  (Read 3817 times)

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Three children Sail To Australia in the 1880s
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 24 January 16 08:21 GMT (UK) »
I just found a pamphlet from NSW State Records on Shipping and Arrival Records (dated March 2013 so reasonably up to date).  It indicates that the practice of not naming unassisted , i.e. paid for, passengers was "prior to 1854" .  However, most of their indexes  - and those produced by others such as Pastkeys etc. seem to end around then - though I haven't checked NSWSR website to get an update on that date.
They say [as at 03/2013 anyway] :
Passenger lists are arranged chronologically by arrival of the ship. As there are no comprehensive indexes to passengers arriving after 1855, and if the name of the ship and the exact year of arrival are unknown, researchers will need to try to determine the date of arrival from other sources.
These comments are for NSW arrivals only, of course.  They could have come in via Melbourne or Queensland or Western Australia.  So when you look at TROVE, think of Victorian & Queensland & WA papers, not just the Sydney ones.  Names of arrivals by the latest ship were often published in the papers of the day, presumably so any relatives could know they had arrived.   :)

BTW I think you will find that the name of the ship the second lot of children came on is Murrumbidgee  - double e at the end.  the Murrumbidgee is a rural area in southern NSW.  When I googled the spelling you gave, it only gave me Murrumbidgee.

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 24 January 16 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for this .

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 24 January 16 22:18 GMT (UK) »
http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/guides-and-finding-aids/archives-in-brief/archives-in-brief-1

Highlights the key State records and available indexes, relating to passengers arriving in New South Wales, 1788-1922. While most of the records relate to passengers disembarking in Sydney, records of arrivals in other ports, that are held by State Records, are also included.

and one of the indexes within that period of time includes the Unassisted Immigrants 1842-1855 which is likely the index with little info on passengers, including of course in many cases just a number next to the heading 'steerage' ....  :)

http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/indexes-online/indexes-to-immigration-and-shipping-records/index-to-unassisted-immigrants  and the associated PastKeys pdf  :)
http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/documents/pastkeys/UAIntro3.pdf

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 25 January 16 00:24 GMT (UK) »
Greville's Post Office Directory 1875

HILLSTON
L WRIGHT, station manager, Cowl Cowl.
A FREEMAN, station manager, Cowl Cowl
Charles LYNN, carpenter, Cowl Cowl
A K MOLESWORTH, squatter, Cowl Cowl,
Walter SYNNOTT, squatter, Cowl Cowl

Here's a live link to the 1872 Grevilles PO directory :
http://www.family.joint.net.au/index.php?mid=1&cid=11

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 25 January 16 00:33 GMT (UK) »
Saw all those you listed, JM, but they are too early for this OP's people
 :)  :)  :)

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 25 January 16 00:45 GMT (UK) »
There's WRIGHT at Cowl Cowl.   :) in 1875....  so I am thinking .... could L WRIGHT be connected to Andrew WRIGHT  :)

if there is one for Andrew and Sarah Wright at Hillston/Hay showing the wright family and their Latham Cousins. 

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 25 January 16 01:03 GMT (UK) »
Re the L WRIGHT in the 1875 Grevilles...

NSW ER 1878 MURRUMBIDGEE (Oxley Police District)

Lendon WRIGHT, leaseholder, Hillston, Lachlan River.

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 25 January 16 01:43 GMT (UK) »
Lindon WRIGHT aged 42 years died 18 July 1889, in Tasmania. 

He was late of Langlea Hillston NSW.   

NSW State Records have Lindon George WRIGHT dd 18 July 1889, probate 15 Nov 1889
http://search.records.nsw.gov.au/items/312262
and Lindon George WRIGHT of Langlea, same dd, and duty paid 11 Dec 1889
http://srwww.records.nsw.gov.au/indexes/searchform.aspx?id=15&new=1

There may be family papers in those files, perhaps mention of Sarah, the Latham aunt  :) or Andrew her husband....

Cheers,  JM

Offline mclachlan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 25 January 16 01:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi tempogold,

Not sure if you have seen this but thought you might be interested:

http://www.bellsite.id.au/helen_tree/HTMLFiles/HTMLFiles_11/P8191.html

It doesn't mention when Julia and her brothers came to Australia but there might be some other information that can help!

Kind regards,
Andrea
McLachlan, Glasgow, Martin, Menzies