Author Topic: Three children Sail To Australia in the 1880s  (Read 3810 times)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Three children Sail To Australia in the 1880s
« Reply #27 on: Monday 25 January 16 03:38 GMT (UK) »
Ros already mentionedThe obit in The Hillston Spectator and Lachlan River Advertiser newspaper, dated Thursday 29 September 1949, for Richard James (Dick) LATHAM of Hillston.  It states that he arrived in Australia "64 years ago"  making the date of arrival 1885, if this is correct.  :-\

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/127584643

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 25 January 16 03:43 GMT (UK) »
Andrew Lindon WRIGHT was a music teacher, residing Illillawa,  :) Irrigation area.
Clarence Wright was Andrew's son

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/139996981 5 Nov 1895 Riverine Grazier

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 25 January 16 06:57 GMT (UK) »
I am having trouble catching up--thank you. Yes we think the older children may have come out in 1884/5 after their fathers Death but no records .And its a mystery why I cant find them but found the younger children. We don't know if they came together or Thomas Edward came latter -may still have been in England 1887.
Not sure what the link is between Andrew Wright and L Wright --there is one but he is not his father who was John. Andrew latter added Lyndon to his name. Anyhow he died 1928 at Peak Hill Nsw. His wife Sarah had died much earlier in 1896 while her  young niece and Nephews  were barely teenagers--a very tough start. Lots of links from you so thank you will get working on them. had not seen that tree but its correct and I recognise the authors name from Ancestry .

Thank you all.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 25 January 16 07:11 GMT (UK) »
Is it possible that Andrew and Lindon George WRIGHT were brothers? 

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 27 January 16 06:17 GMT (UK) »
A couple of random thoughts which may (or may not) be helpful, no real evidence, just more lines of enquiry.  Some of it taken from on-line trees (which I haven't check thoroughly!)  Some of it you probably have already  :-\

According to the information on the site given by mclachlan

http://www.bellsite.id.au/helen_tree/HTMLFiles/HTMLFiles_11/P8191.html

there was at least one other family relative in Australia:

Samuel John LATHAM
, b 1857 (cork Ireland), d 1933 Kyneton, Victoria.  Samuel married Margaret MCHUGH in Victoria (Kyneton according to his wife's obit) in 1881 and had children with her in Victoria in the 1880/90s, so he must have arrived before 1881. However I can't see his arrival. Most of the children seem to have been registered in Kyneton.
Samuel's death notice shows that he died in Kyneton
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/11688770

Obit for his wife, Margaret d Kyneton, 26 February 1917
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/129584811

Kyneton is about 90k north of Melbourne.

I note that Sarah LATHAM and Andrew WRIGHT were married at Echuca, Victoria, March 1873 so Aunt Sarah had been in Australia for at least 11 years before the children came to her.  Sarah and Andrew's children were registered at Moama which is just over the river from Echuca.  They had been in Moama for their last child's birth in 1881 and were in Hillston by 1891 (death of a child).

I mention these items to show the connection to Victorian records and I would have thought it likely that the children entered via Victoria.  The Riverina district is an area mostly in NSW but due north of Melbourne.  Historically connections to/with Victoria have been almost greater than to NSW, although, of course, it's mostly actually in the state of NSW. The river Murray is the border between Victoria and NSW and there are many towns such as Echuca/Moama which are only a bridge apart but administratively in two different states.  I see also that Andrew WRIGHT's family lived in Victoria so

Sorry - this has probably been s diversion from the main topic.

I wonder if the children came in the care of another family/couple and were, perhaps, listed on the shipping records with a different surname.  I did try a trawl through the PROV unassisted immigration lists for a "Julia" whose age and arrival date might have been a possible but came up with nothing.

As I said - pure speculation and they may well have arrived through NSW, so not much help at all!

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk